Khz Vs Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
So this morning during my normal cycle to work, I approach a long row of stationary traffic with around 1 metre between the kerb and the cars.

Half way down the row a woman in the passenger side decides to open the car door (without looking) just as I approach, without any time to react I hit the door head on.

Damage to me: Giant cut/gash across chest (in the shape of the door) with suspected broken rib + cut/bruised arm. terrible pain, unable to breath and hyperventilating

Damage to Car: Unable to now close passenger door, bent frame.

Damage to bike: Bent front wheel & disc brake, unknown frame damage

Trip to A&E in an Ambulance, Police took statements and I have spoken to the car owners insurance. Everyone evolved at the scene was cool

I have near misses every week on my cycle to work with cars pulling out/not indicating etc, aswell as doors opening, but I normally have enough time to slam on the brakes.

Without getting into another car vs bike debate, please please check your mirrors/look around before opening your car door, driver/passenger whoever!

Tomorrows gonna hurt even more :(

Wow, sorry to hear about that. Hope you make a speedy recovery.

please please check your mirrors/look around before opening your car door, driver/passenger whoever!

I always do as I am guaranteed a hit if I time it right :D

Seriously though - get well soon chap!

Karl, so sorry to hear of your accident. It sound like a very painful crash.

Get well soon.

Get well soon, Karl.

I know it's often easier said than done on busy roads, but especially when on two wheels I always aim to be at least the length of a car door away from it when I pass a stationary vehicle.

Ouch.
Get well soon, Karl - bad news is it will be SORE tomorrow. :( :(

Ouch,that's going to hurt for a while,take it easy Karl.

What a bummer.....hope your injuries repair quickly and that you're not in too much pain. Tramadol will help.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery . This happened to my daughter a few years ago and the deep bruising and strains caused problems for many months . Fortunately she had the appropriate headwear on at the time .

Thanks for the comments.

I dont wear a helmet, this was the wake up call I needed. will get one now!

Sorry to read of your accident. Perhaps I am lucky but I've never been knocked off my bike - yet!

Hope all is well with you and that you've not got a broken rib.

Ouch - glad you are here to tell the tale.

How is liability calculated with this type of accident?

I guess it must be 50/50. The person opening the door should have looked but equally one shouldn't be overtaking on the inside.

Blimey Karl, get well soon!

Ouch sorry to hear that Karl. Hope you make a speedy recovery.

I'd love to cycle into work but stories like yours and recently from my brother-in-law (who got knocked off in a hit & run recently breaking his colar bone) really does put me off the idea. Cycling in this country in congested towns & cities isn't great.

I always give the same advice that was given to me to folks with broken/badly bruised ribs. The temptation is to breath shallow to avoid pain. This, often combined with a degree of immobility, means the "tidal air in your lungs " doesn't get renewed. Try to take several deep breaths and exhale fully every hour. This will mean there is less chance of you developing any lung infections. Get well soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom