Kia sportage or Hyundai Santa fe? Advise sought please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abb

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes
I have been given the enviable task of finding a Kia Sportage or the equivalent Hyundai (which is I believe a sante fe), so thought as I know nothing about them and as part of my research on either one, I thought I would ask the good people on the forum to part with (if any) their knowledge on them.

Must be: Diesel, auto, max budget £7k.

For some reason, unexplained, I quote quot the idea of hyundai.

They seem to last for ever, made the quirky but quick coupe some years ago and have the confidence to offer a decent warranty.

Appreciate that Kia can tick some of those boxes but they are a bit grandma in my eyes.

Funnily enough I had the same thoughts, but the other way round!

Apologies for my misspelling of advice, should have checked before posting!

Firstly, please don’t tell me it’s for you :(

Secondly, I know of at least five people who leased brand new Sportages for £200 a month and they’ve been so pleased with them they signed up for another one (slightly more expensive monthly) after their lease was up which, knowing these people, speaks volumes.

Mate of mine has the Kia, loves it and reckons that it's ultra reliable. He's also old like me. :)

He was looking for anything around that size really but said that the Kia came with the best spec for what he wanted to pay and the local dealer was excellent apparently. Bolton, so not much use to you really...

I've had 3 Hyundai over the years. One of which was the V6 (petrol) Sante Fa. I really like them and think that they are well put together. I even managed to convince my daughter to buy an i30 rather than a Focus etc. She is delighted with it. The only problem I ever had was with one of the cars, the alarm kept going off at random times. The local Dealership was hopeless in resolving the issue but Hyundai Customer Services arranged for a technician to come to the house and fit a new alarm system. Overall I can't fault them.

Hardly in the same league as the Sportage, but I have had a Kia Picanto auto from new (2006). In terms of reliability and trouble free motoring, it's probably the best car I've ever owned - and I'm in my sixties, so I've had a few!

When the little Kia finally goes 'pop', I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. If you can see past badge snobbery, my experience of Kia is extremely positive.

Reactions: Abb
The Tucson is the same car underneath as the Sportage (On the latest model). IIRC The Santa Fe is the bigger one.

Firstly, please don’t tell me it’s for you :(

Most definitely not for me! :D

Mate of mine has the Kia, loves it and reckons that it's ultra reliable. He's also old like me. :) so not much use to you really...

It would be of use Dave if it was a newer one, but unfortunately not with a budget of £7K.

The Tucson is the same car underneath as the Sportage (On the latest model). IIRC The Santa Fe is the bigger one.

Thanks for the clarification. Shame I can't edit the title.

So, thus far it appears I should be looking at the sportage based on the advice provided. Albeit just came across a Tucson which seems good, on paper at least!

Hyundai Tucson 2.0CRTD ( 2WD ) auto Premium | eBay

Thank you once again for the input, keep it coming please :)

The Tucson seems a good motor for not a lot of money,should do the job,,the latest ones like a few others came with a fibre optic bar running along the front bumper support,it is this that triggers the bonnet to lift at the hinges in a crash so that a pedestrian fly's through the air instead of hitting the screen,needless to say that part will cost well over £1000 to replace after a accident.

I think the more the equivalent to the Sportage in Hyundai is the IX35. Just to add to the confusion :D

Daughter No1 had one and daughter No3 has just ordered one (once I deciphered Mrs Ted tellong me she was getting a ‘Kia Fromage’.
I drove No1’s a couple of times and it was a lovely car - well mannered and beautifully built, but it was soulless and certainly no fun at all, which made my decision not to get one (I got a Jeep Renegade and don’t regret it for a second)
And of course there is the seven year warranty.

I stayed with a friend in Spain last month, and as there were many liquid lunch and dinner outings planned, I volunteered to drive. He had a new Kia Sorrento - a huge thing capable of seating seven and climbing the rock track to his house. I have to say the car reeked of quality, very comfortable, good ride, excellent engine and gearbox and reasonably economical. I would have no hesitation in saying now that they are very good cars and can see no reason why either a Hyundai or Kia would be off my buying list in future.

Aren't Kia and Hyundai the same company?

Aren't Kia and Hyundai the same company?

I think Hyundai bought Kia a while back. AFAIK the ranges are basically the same vehicles underneath ... like (say) VW & SEAT, I guess.

It would appear that they are one of the same, having been reading up on them. :)

Kias used to be the budget version of Hyundai models, with a somewhat inferior spec and slight exterior styling differences, but mechanically identical under the skin. My wife had a couple of Hyundai's coupe - beautifully understated styling, with a touch of, let's be poseurs and say 'ommaaage', to Ferrari looks but the engines were dull, even the V6 - same power output as the Rover/Honda unit of twenty years previously. They were undoubtedly the most reliable cars she ever owned, though.

Kia are fantastic cars and their warranty and reliability puts many "premium" cars to shame.

10 years/100k.

Can't argue with it really.

Kia are fantastic cars and their warranty and reliability puts many "premium" cars to shame.

10 years/100k.

Can't argue with it really.

My wife has a Kia Rio and the warranty is for 7 years.
A very capable, reliable, but unexciting car I have found.
No hesitation in getting her another Kia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom