Kickdown Switch Adjuster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jane270ML

Car
ML 270 Cdi
Hi Guys & Gals
2004 W163 ML270CDi
After losing kickdown, decided to remove & stripdown the switch for investigation.
Before removing it I noticed the 'V' guide lugs on top of switch where out of line with rear of accelerator pedal preventing proper action.
Removed switch assy from floor & found a piece of the switch shroud broken & jamming it in down position.

New kickdown switch arrived today - genuine MB.

However, whilst stripping the old one I noticed 4 sets of 'threaded' serrations, like an engineers threading tap, in the base & upper part of the switch. A 1/4 turn locks/unlocks them together.
They are no-doubt used to set the height of the switch without losing its functionality e.g. for differences in underfelt, carpet thickness etc.

Does anyone know of a setting procedure for the above or is it try & test - no-doubt leading to another broken switch!
Thanks
Jane
progress.gif

How much was the Kickdown switch?

Do you have any pictures of your findings?

What were the symptoms that ascertained the replacement of the kickdown switch? Was it the lag between hitting the switch and the car responding?

Switch cost £17.21 inl VAT & del from Inchape.
Symptons: No kickdown, revs max out at 3,000rpm, not dropping down to a lower gear when flooring accelerator.
Broken switch probably isn't responsible for the lack of revs - first things first - change the switch - then check/clean the MAF - then a Star check.

Attachments

• Old KD Sw with broken bits.jpg
    Old KD Sw with broken bits.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 107
  • New KD Switch.jpg
    New KD Switch.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 101
Apologies for such LARGE pictures - can someone advise how to make them smaller, before and/or after uploading the post.
J

Thanks for the symptoms and pictures.

I will check my ML the next time I am out on a drive.

I hope you find out the correct height.

Perhaps a phone call to MB or an Indie? (One that is willing to help)

I will look forward to hearing how you get on, good luck :)

Just had a similar problem on a courtesy car (C270 CDI) would not rev over 3000 (even in neutral) no kickdown very poor acceleration......

The ratchet system means you can set the switch high then when you press the pedal down it sets it's own height at maximum pedal depression.

New switch fitted as it came from dealer.
With engine off, checked contact height by manually pressing accelerator pedal to floor and listened for click.
Six mile test trip - managed to use kickdown eight times (and probably 3 gallons of fuel!) - success!

I have to say, that despite the above, I'm not happy with the way the accelerator pedal makes contact with the switch - further investigation showed the pedal pivot point & pedal to linkage point has a lot of up/down/sideways movement.
This no doubt contributed to damaging the original switch by pressing it at an angle, breaking the shroud, & the broken bits jammed the switch in the On position!

Next job - new pins/bolts & liner bush's for the crap plastic pedal & mount pivots!

Hi ya Jane would you have the kickdown switch part number handy, as i have the same problem thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom