Kids at the pump....

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Edwards521, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Edwards521

Edwards521 Member

Car:
    2011 C63 AMG
    So, I stopped at the services to get some fuel today and my son, who's 8, got out to stretch his legs while I was filling up. We were chatting; as you do, and the attendant announced over the load speaker "no children at the pumps" and cut off the fuel. Now, I fully understand that no one under the age of 16 (I believe) can dispense fuel, but we were in full view of the attendant and he was clearly just chatting to me.

Now, I'm not the sort to get annoyed with stuff, so I went in, we both used the loo and paid for what I'd got; I guess I was served by a different member of staff as nothing was said, and left.

Was I in the wrong? A quick internet search suggests I didn't do anything wrong. Maybe someone on here knows better.

2. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Seems eminently sensible to me. Apart from any dispensing fuel hazards there are lots of vehicle movement in confined/unsighted spaces at fuel pumps. A child out of the vehicle could suddenly take off into the path of another vehicle while their parent's attention is focussed on dispensing fuel. There is a huge disparity in the behaviour of kids and so rules have to be judged/imposed with that in mind. While your kid may be completely trustworthy/predicable others may not-- allow one on the forecourt potentially opens the door to them all :dk:.

3. jpwilliams

jpwilliams Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W210 DIESEL AUTO EST,LEXUS GS 450h
    My view too. I have NEVER seen children chatting to anyone whilst on the Forecourt.

Regards

John

4. WDB124066

WDB124066 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
    Could we extend this to no children in the banks and, and, and....

5. Ted

Ted MB Club Veteran

Car:
    SLC 250D AMG Line, Yamaha XVS 1100, Jeep Renegade
    and on planes and...

6. Adrian5405

Adrian5405 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2010 C180 Komp Sport (1.6) W204.
    I'm glad I was never a child!!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. Happytalk73

Happytalk73 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Vito
    Wow, this is turning into a child hater thread. :rolleyes:

Obviously The OP was about to spray his son with fuel and set him on fire wasn't he? :dk:

I'm with Edward, the world's going mad with H & S overkill. You did nowt wrong. In a world where kids stare at iPads it's lovely to hear of a boy nattering away to his dad.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. PobodY

PobodY Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK350 Sport, Nissan GTiR
    It's the shutting off of the pumps that seems like overkill to me. - I wouldn't mind them making an announcement (although it would be better if someone came out and said it in person) asking for children to be kept away from the pumps.

Does the same garage shut the pumps off if they see someone handling a mobile phone? By the same logic they should.

2 people like this.
  9. Happytalk73

Car:
    Vito

I'd never be able to use my mobile while refuelling. I'm not allowed to smoke in the car so I alway have a fag on the forecourt. :bannana:

10. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Unfortunately present day reality means the world is also full of "ambulance chasing" law firms seeking compensation who would be only too happy to sue TESCOS or whoever for inadequate forecourt safety precautions in the event of any kid being knocked down or otherwise injured. Shutting off fuel delivery is simple a effective sanction to make their customers obey rules that are there for the kids safety.

11. bob6600

bob6600 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
    OTT I think.

I can understand the H&S side of things although it could also be an insurance/liability issue. Either way, it should be signposted if this is the case that under 16s should not leave the vehicle

1 person likes this.
  12. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    I would bet that modern forecourt pumps are liberally plastered with signs like this. Habituation means the majority of people won't register their presence but I would wager they will be there.
    [​IMG]

13. Happytalk73

Car:
    Vito

Hmmm, not sure the OP's son was using the pumps though. :dk:

14. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ( )
    We do live in a world gone mad, although children not being allowed on forecourts makes sense to me, it's safer in the car. I sometimes chat to my children at the petrol station, albeit through an open rear window.

We went out for a meal today to celebrate my 7 year old niece's birthday party. She took four school friends, of which two were little monsters, and two were delightful. I would trust two of them to stay beside me on the forecourt, but not the other two. Sadly rules are deigned with the monsters in mind.

15. bob6600

bob6600 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
    I'm sure they were, as I've noticed them at most pumps I've been to but as Happytalk states, they do not prohibit under 16s on the forecourt

16. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Correct BUT- while it may seem overtly prescriptive the mere presence of an under 16 year old in close proximity to a pump in use might be interpreted as a potential or imminent hazard. Now the judgement call on this ultimately lies within the purview of the owner/operator of the forecourt NOT the customer. The customer of course is free to take their business elsewhere or sue Tesco/ESSO/ "whoever" if they disagree. :dk:

17. ChrisEdu

ChrisEdu Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Reminds me of the instructions that came with my new double edge safety razor - I've never seen so many pictures showing blood! Even my chainsaw manual has fewer.

18. flat6buster

flat6buster Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C350e, 911sc, S320, CLK500 convertible
    Not having children, I think I can still say I would certainly take umbridge if there was no signage telling me I could not chat with my boy. In fact it would really tick me off. Happy to obey rules but if no one explains their rules to you how are you expected to comply?

1 person likes this.
  19. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2016
    Rules or no rules, I wouldn't and never did, allow my children out of the car when refueling. Just far to much potential for accidents.

20. Druk

Druk Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
    You've never been inside the pages of a 211 or 212 owners manual then? About 1/3 of it is about the car and its operation. The rest is how YOU WILL DIE if you as much as minutely stray from the words printed therein.

Tags: