Kimi Raikkonen blows another engine

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by glojo, Oct 8, 2005.

1. glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
    Well once again another Mclaren engine has 'Let go'

When this kept happening at BAR some folks blamed the driver.

With all the modern electronic controls that these engines have, is it possible for the driver to accidentally overstress the engine?

KIMI RAIKKONEN
    "Obviously I'm a bit disappointed with the engine failure which stopped my first practice session prematurely. However we managed to get some running in the second practice, and there is still plenty of time left tomorrow morning. The balance is basically OK but a lot depends on what the weather will do for the rest of the weekend."

Regards,
    John

2. saorbust

saorbust Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS350CDI
    Yes it is possible to overstress the engine. At the end of the day its a mechanical component with thousands of parts. Drivers are told quite often what to do and what not to do as the engine ages over the course of two races.

Most limits are applied to the rev's allowed - which does help - however nothing can stop a driver from being overly agressive with the engine.

Was very interested to note that the gearboxes don't have syncromesh - see Martin Brundles bit in the F1 coverage....

3. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    Kimi managed to keep his engine together in the race though! ;) :D

4. OP
    OP
    glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    An excellent very knowledgeable person. The sprint shift we have in the Sprinter is also an excellent modern gearbox. If I listen very carefully I can hear the computer managing the engine revs, but boy is it quick.

I wonder what Coultard and Ron Dennis must be thinking about Montaya's temperament? Way off topic but it is my thread :D For most of the season I have moaned about this drivers dedication to the concept of a team person. Fast driver, terrible team player.

John

5. saorbust

Car:
    CLS350CDI
    Agree with you 100% John. I also think Ralf S is an overated idiot.

6. OP
    OP
    glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I love reading other folks opinions and I feel that Ralf is another person that will never be a World Champion.

What about Mark Webber?

I really thought he was an up and coming potential World Champion, but he has not shone at Williams, and by that I mean he has not been the dominant number one driver.

Alonso has won this years championship fair and square, he has talent and is 'car sympatheitic'. Raikkonen has still in my opinion something to learn in that department.

I was of the opinion that these modern engines had some many fail safes that it was practically impossible to over rev, or damage them? It even looks like the gearbox will not allow wrong gearchanges?

John

7. saorbust

Car:
    CLS350CDI
    All I'll say re Ralf is go and look at www.sniffpetrol.com - new issue out today. And fantastic Ad's this month too.

Regarding Webber - I think he's good for the team, but world champ ? Not so sure. I think he's solid though - very consistent.