Kings Cross to Heathrow T3 travel advice needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Need a little help, flying out of Heathrow next week and need to get there from Doncaster as our company driver is off ill.

My plan is to get the train to London but the first train from Doncaster arrives Kings Cross 07:30 and I need to be at heathrow T3 for 9am.

Googling suggests either take the tube from Kings Cross and then switch to Heathrow Express or stay on the tube the whole journey.

Anybody ever done this? is it possible to get from Kings Cross to Heathrow T3 in 90 minutes.

All advice welcome

Kindest regards
Ian

Hi Ian

Piccadilly is 52 mins from Kings Cross to Heathrow. If you through Paddington then is 15min towards it with either Circle or H&C and another 5-7 mins to go from tube platform to Heathrow Express. So total time will end up about the same give and take and less than the 90min you are aiming. Piccadilly will have less changes and less walk and least wasted time for someone who is unfamiliar with the stations

Regards

Theo

Piccadilly line takes you to T4 if I remember right.

T1,2,3 best to change and get the Heathrow Express drops you in there direct.

I thought the Piccadilly line also served the Heathrow Central station for Terminals 1,2 and 3 :dk:

The Heathrow branch of the Piccadilly Line has two sub-branches. One serves terminals 1,2,3 and 5, the other serves terminal 4. Platform indicators tell you where the next one is going.

I thought the Piccadilly line also served the Heathrow Central station for Terminals 1,2 and 3 :dk:

It loops round by T4 to the station that serves T123.

There's a separate branch from T123 to T5.

Trains run alternately round the loop or direct to T123 and then on to T5.

I think from Kings Cross taking the tube to Paddington and the then Heathrow Express will be quickest.

[Edit: I guess from the other post above that the T4 loop is only used occasionally and is treated as a branch to T4 these days]

Last edited:

I suspect London in Rush hour would be a nightmare by Taxi which is why I stuck to public transport, but if anyone knows different :dk:

I suspect London in Rush hour would be a nightmare by Taxi which is why I stuck to public transport, but if anyone knows different :dk:

Don't even think getting a taxi at rush hour. .

In theory the Paddington/Heathrow Express is 8-10 min at best quicker but when add waiting time , walking and wssted time due to unfamiliarity then it could be closer

At the end both will take you well within your 90min target so you choose

Theo

Just checked on East Coast and TFL travel planners, if I arrive at Kings Cross 07:30 and take the Tube all the way to Heathrow then I arrive 08:40 latest, so looks like the tube will do the trick

Thanks guys :thumb:

flango said:
Need a little help, flying out of Heathrow next week and need to get there from Doncaster as our company driver is off ill. My plan is to get the train to London but the first train from Doncaster arrives Kings Cross 07:30 and I need to be at heathrow T3 for 9am. Googling suggests either take the tube from Kings Cross and then switch to Heathrow Express or stay on the tube the whole journey. Anybody ever done this? is it possible to get from Kings Cross to Heathrow T3 in 90 minutes. All advice welcome Kindest regards Ian

Should be 51 mins and 24 stops on the tube according to my app. I use it a lot and it should be the easiest way to get there. Heathrow Express has the honour of being the most expensive train journey going but you would need to change at Paddington as others have said.

What happened to the Crossie door-to-door service? Constant ear-bending too difficult to thole? :D:D

I'd get one of the nice spacious new Circle / Hammersmith and City line trains to Paddington and then get the Heathrow Express. It is worth the extra money and walk not to have to by crammed into the Piccadilly line for 24 stops.

The H&S platforms at Paddington are separate from the tube station, alongside the regular train platforms. You can exit via the H&S ticket office and then enter Paddington proper by taking the bridge over the platforms and walking down the platform. If you already have your Heathrow Express ticket you might be able to walk straight onto the train from that bridge.

If you have lots of luggage the H&S platforms now have a lift to the ticket office - get on near the front of the train at King's Cross.

What happened to the Crossie door-to-door service? Constant ear-bending too difficult to thole? :D:D

Crossie and Steve are flat out while the main driver is off ill, so they only doing the short runs. Crossie taking me to Manchester after Easter. At least with Crossie we talk about MB my normal driver has a BMW 535d :fail

Only thing to be aware of is the East Coast breakdown service... Only happens when you don't need it.

If my money is at risk, on my sort of ticket (i.e. cheap!) I'd be getting a late train on the Sunday and stopping over.

I'd get one of the nice spacious new Circle / Hammersmith and City line trains to Paddington and then get the Heathrow Express. It is worth the extra money and walk not to have to by crammed into the Piccadilly line for 24 stops.

The H&S platforms at Paddington are separate from the tube station, alongside the regular train platforms. You can exit via the H&S ticket office and then enter Paddington proper by taking the bridge over the platforms and walking down the platform. If you already have your Heathrow Express ticket you might be able to walk straight onto the train from that bridge.

If you have lots of luggage the H&S platforms now have a lift to the ticket office - get on near the front of the train at King's Cross.

That's the way I would go. :thumb:

Only thing to be aware of is the East Coast breakdown service... Only happens when you don't need it.

If my money is at risk, on my sort of ticket (i.e. cheap!) I'd be getting a late train on the Sunday and stopping over.

Thats what I would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom