Kings Cross to Heathrow T3 travel advice needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can't go Sunday night as at a function, otherwise I would have done that and overnighted at the Heathrow Sofitel.

I am off to Skiathos on Friday night so I will try the Heathrow express. I am travelling from Upper Warlingham.

My flight from Heathrow isn't until 21.40 so I haven't got to race there.

Update

Well I did this journey this morning using the following, Doncaster - Kings Cross East Coast Service then Kings Cross - Heathrow Central Station all the way on the tube on the Piccadilly line. Total time from leaving home to presenting at check in 2 hours 52 minutes. The service on East Coast was brilliant clean train on time and breakfast served at your seat, onboard stable wifi the perfect service. Tube to Heathrow was packed (which I expected at just turned 7am) so standing room only all the way but the 50 minutes went pretty quick.

I suspect travelling Peak times the Heathrow Express is the smarter way to travel so next week on my return, I intend doing Heathrow - Paddington on Heathrow Express, then Paddington - Kings Cross on Tube then finally East Coast Kings Cross - Doncaster, so we'll see how that goes and I'll report back next week.

A big thanks to all who contributed to this thread and gave me the options it is much appreciated.

Thanks, Ian

in future, if needed, book well in advance and the parking rates at LHR are cheaper than the train fares put together. I am out the country all the time. This month I will be in Saudi for 18 days and my car is at the airport in short start for £145.

HTH

in future, if needed, book well in advance and the parking rates at LHR are cheaper than the train fares put together. I am out the country all the time. This month I will be in Saudi for 18 days and my car is at the airport in short start for £145.

HTH

Parking was very cheap but last thing I need after 19 hours in the air is to get in the car and do a 4 hour slog up the M1 home. Also means you can't drink on the return flight :D

Well I did the Heathrow express on the way back and TBH the journey time was exactly the same, bit of a faff changing off the Heathrow express onto the H&C Tube which makes tube all the way the better option to me.

So 2 hours 52 mins on the way out and 2 hours 54 mins on the way back

A big thanks to all once again :thumb:

May I ask a few questions?
Did you pre book your seats?
How much luggage were you taking?
What was the total cost?

Cheers

Steve

May I ask a few questions?
Did you pre book your seats?
How much luggage were you taking?
What was the total cost?

Cheers

Steve

I pre booked my seat on the East Coast Service down to Kings Cross, the return was booked as an open return so I could just jump on the first train back.

I had one full size suitcase and my laptop bag.

£195 in First Class would have been considerably cheaper if I had committed to a specific train on the way home but it only takes a short flight delay and its all gone pear shaped, 2nd class was also a good deal cheaper.

Will be doing it all again on Sunday, off to Canada :thumb:

Thanks for the info.

Though not as frequent my wife and I do this trip a few times a year.
Nottingham to Heathrow so not too dissimilar.
I will have to try looking at the class options as double the cost for 2
At least I know where to start. Thanks you.

Just to compare our last trip in March
£112 parking (drop car off at airport, collect from off site car park)
about £40 fuel.
Travelled down Friday afternoon no problems
Landed back on a Tuesday 5pm took ages to get out the airport even before the 2.1/2hr drive home. After a 9hr flight it was tiring.

+ some trivial damage to the car interior that I didn't notice till the following morning.
Thanks for that Purple Parking. fobbed off with a lame booking condition excuse.
I have used the many times before but will not again.
it was their attitude rather than the damage.

StevenN said:
Thanks for the info. Though not as frequent my wife and I do this trip a few times a year. Nottingham to Heathrow so not too dissimilar. I will have to try looking at the class options as double the cost for 2 At least I know where to start. Thanks you. Just to compare our last trip in March £112 parking (drop car off at airport, collect from off site car park) about £40 fuel. Travelled down Friday afternoon no problems Landed back on a Tuesday 5pm took ages to get out the airport even before the 2.1/2hr drive home. After a 9hr flight it was tiring. + some trivial damage to the car interior that I didn't notice till the following morning. Thanks for that Purple Parking. fobbed off with a lame booking condition excuse. I have used the many times before but will not again. it was their attitude rather than the damage.

Just to update booked for Sunday and return the following Saturday got a first class super off peak saver for £99 Bargain

Well it really went pear shaped this time the train was 30 minutes late into Doncaster then it did 20m and broke down with pantograph failure sat there for 90 minutes until engineers fix the problem arrive at Heathrow 14 minutes after Air Canada check in has closed manage to sweet talk them to accepting me as only had hand luggage and stepped onto plane 10 minutes before take off.

Then the return got no better my first choice train out of London cancelled due to no driver then get on next train 30 mins later it heads North only only for the train manager announce we have set off without the catering which won't be restocked until York

East Coast refunded the fare In full but it's no recompense for the hassle caused

Going back at the end of the month so thinking what to do next ?

Last edited:

I could certainly use him but unfortunately the UK MD and team get first shout so he's flat out with our other driver Steve.

One of the few occasions being in a Global job and reporting into Germany doesn't work in your favour :D

The car is looking better and better.
We had notification that Air India will be flying from BHX from August so that will save a lot of time and money. But as airlines go they are pants.
But there you go.

Thank you for keeping us updated and sorry for your trouble

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom