Kitchen renovation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know some aspects of Ikea's design differ from "normal", ie the low level cupboards have no recess (but more space), but I didn't know that there was an industry standard relating to kitchen fittings/sizes.

BTW what does the wee smilie thing mean?

Standard uk base units are 87cm tall.
Standard uk plinths are 15cm tall
Therefore standard uk base unit doors are approx 72cm tall
Ikea base units are 86cm tall
Ikea plinths are 16cm tall
Therefore Ikea base unit doors are approx 70cm tall

Just an example - would need to check other cabinets before buying

Standard uk base units are 87cm tall.
Standard uk plinths are 15cm tall
Therefore standard uk base unit doors are approx 72cm tall
Ikea base units are 86cm tall
Ikea plinths are 16cm tall
Therefore Ikea base unit doors are approx 70cm tall

Just an example - would need to check other cabinets before buying

Thanks, yes I understand that they are different, I was just unaware that there was such a thing as an industry standard for kitchens.

I've recently finished freshening up my kitchen.New worktops,cheap enough at £80 a length, stainless sink/mixer taps set from screwfix and single oven plus hob set from Wickes. Less than £500 for the two. I tried brush painting with quick dry satin interior paint but I thought the finish looked very poor.

I finally settled on acrylic spray can paint. I sprayed the doors outside and masked/sprayed the cabinet front edges and end panels in situ. Paint came to £120 approx all in. Very pleased with the result. (Bought handles from Wickes).

Painting the kitchen unit doors is pretty straightforward. Like any painting, the preparation is important, however with kitchen units, the cleanliness is vital - you'll need to ensure the doors are as clean as possible (de-greased possibly).

You may also need to paint the kickboards too (possibly a contasting colour?).

a coat of paint easy enough.

or leave it until the total renovation.

Old fashioned!! what does that mean, wood never goes out of style?

All this glossy finish stuff will go out of fashion.

Here are a couple pics of the kitchen now, hopefully this shows what I mean by saying it looks old fashioned.

Agree on the glossy stuff going out of fashion, especially the glossy wood grain ones that are appearing more and more these days.

URL=http://s651.photobucket.com/user/Tanvir_Album/media/House/IMG_7602.jpg.html]
IMG_7602.jpg
[/URL]

This is the sort of look that I am going for, unless I can find a way to preserve the wood look but make it look more modern, as painting over nice wood does seem wrong somehow.

This is the sort of look that I am going for, unless I can find a way to preserve the wood look but make it look more modern, as painting over nice wood does seem wrong somehow.

I went for a similar colour to that in an old house a while back, we also changed the oven and hob and the same time. It made a huge difference for a small outlay, many of our friends thought we had changed the entire kitchen!

Paint it...it will brighten the place up greatly. You could also replace the worktops easily.

If I do paint the cabinets, I am thinking that it may look nice to paint the kitchen door (that can be seen) in the pictures, the same colour as the cabinets or the same colour as the walls.

Have you got a spray gun and compressor?
If so you can spray the doors, much quicker to dry than gloss paint and comes with a large range of colours and finishes, i.e. matt eggshell or gloss.
The supplier I used was a firm called L E went of new malden

If I do paint the cabinets, I am thinking that it may look nice to paint the kitchen door (that can be seen) in the pictures, the same colour as the cabinets or the same colour as the walls.

I think that would be good...often times wood is over rated...dark and boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom