Kitchen renovation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I am looking to renovate the kitchen as a stop gap measure, until we build a new extension in a year or so and then decide if we keep the kitchen where it is or move it to the extension.

Structurally the kitchen is very good order and has solid wood doors, the only issue is that it look old fashioned.

My idea is to change the wall colour from cream to white and paint the cabinets.

Do anyone have any experience of renovating kitchen cabinets and doors, is it fairly straight forward or something best left to a professional? I have had a quote from a local company, but at £2500 seam steep, especially for a temporary fix.

Regards

Tan

How many doors do you require? New handles, work tops?

A pot of paint and a brush...how hard can it be?

tan,b&q at xmas usually have a sale on ,on all kitchen doors and draw packs,last year they were £1-£5 each I bought 500 fronts just because they were cheap as chips ideal for kitchen makeovers like you are talking about.
howdens have branches all over the country and have a huge selection of doors,they are easy to fit 5 minutes a door after you have done the first one.get your sizes and call into howdens and ask have they any oddments or discontinued lines they sometimes do.
if you need worktops ask them for damaged items again cheaper and the damage can usually be cut out anyway.if you want to pm me your sizes I will check if I have anything in my lockup.

tan,b&q at xmas usually have a sale on ,on all kitchen doors and draw packs,last year they were £1-£5 each I bought 500 fronts just because they were cheap as chips ideal for kitchen makeovers like you are talking about

Does this deffo happen each year?

A pack of drawers, say three, 500mm or 600mm wide.

Mr Pedantic.

Last edited:
this has happened the last two years ,last year the manager at Rochdale opened the doors 30 minutes early when I got in one guy just bought every door the Rochdale branch had in stock there was nothing left,i had to go to Oldham instead.complained to head office and got some doors for my sisters kitchen that were not on offer at a reduced price .
remember not all styles just the old or discontinued stock.
howdens are very good also for just door.

I am not planning to change the worktops or the tiles at this time as they look quite good and actually may be newer than the rest of the kitchen.

Though the xmas sale is a great idea, I need to have this done before Christmas, as we have a the family coming over for Christmas.

I will check out howdens, though am tempted to try painting them and changing the handles to something modern.

Last edited:
I'm a semi retired cabinet maker and have spruced up a few kitchens in the past. Painting the doors if their dark is a great way of giving a fresh feel and look to any old kitchen. New work tops is always a fairly reasonable option too. Use Dulux trade satinwood on the doors. You could always buy new doors from Howden's that another member suggested. Great prices and a great range of worktops too.

if you need handles I can give you an online company I use that is 5 times cheaper than b&q and howdens on ironmongery

If changing doors double check the hinge positions. I got caught once where the hinge centres were different. Changed the job from "simple" to "pain in the a*se"

if you need handles I can give you an online company I use that is 5 times cheaper than b&q and howdens on ironmongery

Wouldn't mind the name of that company please as my usual kitchen supplier seems to charge a small fortune for handles

hinge positions arnt a huge problem just fit the hinge to the door first then hold the door open against the casing,mark the hinge position redrill then away you go.you can use a cardboard template when you do the first one as a guide.

a coat of paint easy enough.

or leave it until the total renovation.

Old fashioned!! what does that mean, wood never goes out of style?

All this glossy finish stuff will go out of fashion.

Last edited:
Might be worth checking out Ikea doors, also they have a good range of door handles. Not sure how good they are on price these days though.

Might be worth checking out Ikea doors, also they have a good range of door handles. Not sure how good they are on price these days though.

Check door sizes - ikea's range may not match standard uk kitchens:dk:

Check door sizes - ikea's range may not match standard uk kitchens:dk:

I know some aspects of Ikea's design differ from "normal", ie the low level cupboards have no recess (but more space), but I didn't know that there was an industry standard relating to kitchen fittings/sizes.

BTW what does the wee smilie thing mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom