Kitchens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry Steve, but I preferred the "before"
I thought people might say that!
The old kitchen was very tired - the cupboard doors had expanded due to water damage and the tiling around the cooker had razor sharp edges.
We did not like the false chimney breast around the cooker with the mantle piece above.

I thought people might say that!
The old kitchen was very tired - the cupboard doors had expanded due to water damage and the tiling around the cooker had razor sharp edges.
We did not like the false chimney breast around the cooker with the mantle piece above.
I prefer the more contemporary look of the new kitchen myself.

New version looks the nuts.

The old version looks good in the photo but I can see where you are coming from.

How old/what style is the property?

New version looks the nuts.

The old version looks good in the photo but I can see where you are coming from.

How old/what style is the property?
House was built in 2003 and is on three floors.
The front of the house has a two floor height bay window that was reclaimed from a Victorian house that was being demolished to make way for flats.
That bay window is in the lounge downstairs and our master bedroom upstairs.
E608CEF7-EA25-41A4-B077-A6525C94F2CA.jpeg

D53E907C-4CD4-456B-B87B-3034C51D57EF.jpeg
FC738D5D-5871-4312-A741-1AFF4BDBE0F3.jpeg

Cheers
Steve

Sharp looking place Steve, I'm doing a small kitchen now and got to wondering about the door of the microwave being a nuisance with it on the bench in the corner like that.
Do you ever have stuff getting in the way of it...or does it just seem to work?

Sharp looking place Steve, I'm doing a small kitchen now and got to wondering about the door of the microwave being a nuisance with it on the bench in the corner like that.
Do you ever have stuff getting in the way of it...or does it just seem to work?
No problem with the microwave - the last tenants stole it when they left!!

It worked just fine in that corner - the worktop was big enough to accommodate it.

Thanks for that. The other question I have is that I may take the bench top right up to a meter high, was wondering if that was going to be just too tall for some or a welcome relief from having to bend over all the time?

I was thinking children may have a little issue but I was never allowed in the Kitchen at home and I don't see why they should be in this little one either.

Thanks for that. The other question I have is that I may take the bench top right up to a meter high, was wondering if that was going to be just too tall for some or a welcome relief from having to bend over all the time?

I was thinking children may have a little issue but I was never allowed in the Kitchen at home and I don't see why they should be in this little one either.
All normal kitchen cupboards are a certain standard height - if you want to change this height up or down - then the work surfaces won’t be able to attach to the cupboards, in the normal way.
I am sure a good joiner could adjust things to your required height - but it won’t look standard!

The other question I have is that I may take the bench top right up to a meter high, was wondering if that was going to be just too tall for some or a welcome relief from having to bend over all the time?

Standard worktop height is 900 - 910 mm depending on thickness of worktops. The kitchen I've just fitted is a little lower by choice at 890 mm to improve access to the wall cupboards and that small amount of 10-20 mm lower makes a difference. The Mrs couldn't use a kitchen at 1000 mm and at 5' 10" I don't think I'd like it either.

If you don't have any tall units in the run then I suppose you could raise the worktop height without raising the wall cupboards. Plinths might look odd at 250 mm high.

I use Crown kitchens. Crown Imperial | Great British Manufacturing
They have 2 ranges - Imperial & Lifestyle, Lifestyle being the budget end.
Very adaptable as they sell the horizontal components separately to the vertical components, even their bedroom wardrobe components are compatible with the kitchen components making bespoke units possible at standard unit prices.
Crown own the distribution arm www.waterline.co.uk which deal with the worktops/sinks/taps/appliances/flooring/etc.
Waterline should be able to put you in touch with a local retailer.

All normal kitchen cupboards are a certain standard height - if you want to change this height up or down - then the work surfaces won’t be able to attach to the cupboards, in the normal way.
I am sure a good joiner could adjust things to your required height - but it won’t look standard!

Just taller cupboards, or a drawer at the top, or a slightly larger or smaller toe kick and it will look fine. We have a kitchen already at 950 mm, looks tall, but still looks good. Just can't work in a normal kitchen for more than 10 mins or laundary for that matter and children shouldn't be there messing on the bench for any length of time at all for this one.

We just had a Nobilia kitchen fitted. Super impressed so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom