Kitchens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saff

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Audi A8 D4 4.2 TDI W246 B180 CDI Sport
We're in the process of renewing our kitchen which entails a lot of work I can do myself, some of which is already done.
Having had a couple of plans from kitchen companies we've decided (more or less) on the design and layout but would like to hear anyone's views and experiences on Wren kitchens and Howdens.
I'm told that Howdens use wrapped cupboard doors. I've heard some iffy reports on wrapped doors (not particularly Howdens) but unsure if the reputation is deserved. The Wren units 'appear' to be better quality but a bit more expensive.

Any thoughts/experiences anyone?

Vinyl “wrapped” doors tend to be at the lower end of the scale quality-wise.

Overall, for wear and tear, there really is no substitute for a wooden door either sprayed or natural, I know of kitchens I installed 20 year ago during my apprenticeship that are still in good nick, can’t say the same about MDF (wrapped or painted)

On the supplier subject, the owner of Wren was the former owner of Hygena so they’re not as “new” as they first appear, Howdens aim towards Trade Only and use installers as defacto salesmen.

I’d always try and find a small local supplier, be it a fitter or showroom to supply the kitchen, in my experience of buying they are generally the cheapest for exactly the same product and you get a more honest approach.

Over the past couple of years, we've looked at most brands, so our last two kitchens have been from Waterford Kitchens. Can't fault the quality at all - it's all well built and very durable. When we bought our first from them around 10 years ago, the salesman in the showroom pulled a drawer out and then stood in it - try that with most makes and see what happens. Nothing is too much trouble for them and they'll even adjust sizes if you want a non-standard width for some reason. We've just ordered around 6 more units from them for our utility room refurb that's currently in progress. Pricing is reasonable, too.

We have had a Howdens kitchen for around 14 years , no real issues apart from the "wrapped" doors.

All the doors around the built in oven have started to peel at their edges due to heat escaping from the oven / grill doors ,this wasnt an issue until recently when the oven hinges started to loose their tension, i replaced them but the damage to the doors was already done.

Ours will be getting re-done within the next year , again possibly with a Howdens kitchen.

Just one thing , there used to be some serious discounts with Howdens if you had an account with them. We didnt but my mate , who fitted the kitchen , did have and it saved us almost £20k on the non-discounted (public) pricing.

Kenny

I recently had a Howdens kitchen fitted. Good quality but if you haggle with them they will take thousands off. Don't go with their first figure....note that if you deal with them directly you need a trade account.

Benchmarx also do similar kitchens.

Check out diy kitchens...

DIY Kitchens

The units are delivered pre-built and are decent quality IMHO.

I've fitted two kitchens from DIY kitchens. I thought the quality was excellent for the price with ABS trims and 18 mm carcase construction. Hinges and drawers are all top quality Blum. If you are within reach of the showroom near Pontefract I would highly recommend a visit. It's the best display of kitchens I've ever seen and they have a display comparing construction details from all the main manufacturers.

Thanks for all the replies chaps!

A lot of caravans have vinyl wrapped furniture - we have experienced several on our site that have problems - sometimes within a couple of years from new.

As with many materials & methods there’s a huge range in quality. Some Vinyl wrapped doors are better quality than others. Buy cheap and they will peel.

I’ve been using this company for my most of my kitchens: Browns 2000
for over 10 years now and had no bad reports from my customers.

I use this company http://www.nesp.co.uk/

For carcass, worktops and all Blum products. Feel free to PM if I can help in any way.

Haven't had a kitchen re-done since 1984, but we got half a dozen of the normal types in, eventually found that Poggenpohl stuff was no more expensive than Kitchens direct, came assembled rather than flat pack, solid oak doors, and when we sold the house in 2006 everythinstill worked perfectly. I really miss that kitchen, as this house has 2003/4 MFI units :(:(:(, at this stage of life I'm not prepared for the upheaval and cost of changing it.

I have been to the Pontefract show room of DIY kitchen no pushy sales and some great kitchens,great cafe down the road for breakfast but some nasty speed cameras heading towards the DIY kitchen showroom,I have used Wren,having been sent there from Homebase by their salesperson because SWMBO wanted one of their german kitchens but the guy said it will take 3 hours and my using these four books to order it as they do not order on the computer,no wonder they went to the wall,I found the Wren kitchens good quality and of course they are already made up which saves a fortune in time.

As with many materials & methods there’s a huge range in quality. Some Vinyl wrapped doors are better quality than others. Buy cheap and they will peel.

I’ve been using this company for my most of my kitchens: Browns 2000
for over 10 years now and had no bad reports from my customers.

I use this company http://www.nesp.co.uk/

For carcass, worktops and all Blum products. Feel free to PM if I can help in any way.
Thank you

I have been to the Pontefract show room of DIY kitchen no pushy sales and some great kitchens,great cafe down the road for breakfast but some nasty speed cameras heading towards the DIY kitchen showroom,I have used Wren,having been sent there from Homebase by their salesperson because SWMBO wanted one of their german kitchens but the guy said it will take 3 hours and my using these four books to order it as they do not order on the computer,no wonder they went to the wall,I found the Wren kitchens good quality and of course they are already made up which saves a fortune in time.
Who went to the wall?

Hi,
We replaced our aging kitchen in our UK house a few years ago.
We had quotes from a few local companies and it seems there is a lot of margin in kitchens!
They all quoted us around £25,000 and we managed to project manage it ourselves and get the whole thing done for around £8000.
We opened a Tradepoint account with B&Q and bought the units, sink, taps and worktops from there.
We bought the tiles online from Tons of tiles (amazing prices and service)
We also sourced the special cooker hood and glass splash back online.
We used local tiler, plumber, electrician and joiner to do their various jobs.
Finished article below:-

C93B4325-C50C-4002-A347-EC6EAC6380EB.jpeg
Cheers
Steve

Sorry Steve, but I preferred the "before"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom