Klp 92

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wobbly

MB Enthusiast
Car
2018 GLC 220d AMG line Premium + 1989 500SL Now sold, replaced with 2007 Aston Martin DB9
Ive just come across this picture in the September edition of Classic Bike.

Picture was taken Easter Monday 1949.

Im sure one of our members will enjoy the picture.

scan0001.jpg

That's excellent - well spotted...

Im sure Nav will be keen to see it!

Excellent! If it were my plate I'd love that, probably have the best copy located and framed!

Hope my fading memory serves me well.
That is a Vincent Black Shadow 1000cc V twin.
HRD stands for Howard R Davies, the manufacturer. The frame/suspension IS a monoshock (sub sole nihil novi est!) and was known for some reason as the garden gate frame.
The bike was a masterpiece, and a technological marvel in it's day.

And what a great find!!

HRD stands for Howard R Davies, the manufacturer. The frame/suspension IS a monoshock (sub sole nihil novi est!) and was known for some reason as the garden gate frame.

And what a great find!!

The write up says the bike is a Vincent Series B, a beautiful bike, but way out of my league.
Vincents are now fetching huge money, saw a Black Shadow advertised for auction, with a estimate of £55,000 - £60,000.

Any one got a BSA Gold Flash A10 for sale, more my price range.

Hope Nav likes the picture.:D

What an amazing find! :thumb:

Certainly made my day today. You do forget with things like dateless reg plates how old they exactly are; and how many different owners they pass through.

I've had the plate for approx 8-9 years, it was on my R107 500SL when i purchased it so i basically kept it since then. Its of no significance to me but makes the car look better so i decided to keep it. I've had plenty of offers for the plate over the years but i've grown fond of it and decided to hold onto it. Since then i decided to put it on every project i've had, so its been on some nice cars in the past as well as bikes!

Last edited:

And what a great find!!

[PEDANT] Sorry Ted, but I think that's actually a Rapide - a Black Shadow would have black enamelled crankcases and black anodised barrels/heads [/PEDANT]

Still a lovely bike though - and a real flyer in its day. But just look at those piddly drum brakes :crazy: (on a 100mph+ motorcyle). I guess there wasn't so much to run into in them days...

Cheers,

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom