Knee Brace for Arthritis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickythemerc

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 220 CDI Sport 2009
Hi All.

Looking for some help with choosing a knee brace to help with my osteo arthritis in my knees. The left one is manageable but the right one is pretty bad just now, thinking a brace may help. The joint is pretty much bone on bone with plenty of crepitous crunching Etc. Searching the web there seems to be a very wide choice, from a few quid to several hundred quid. Any help would be great thanks.

As you say there are lots of different ones available. IMHO the best option would be to get some properly qualified advice on what you need, to avoid wasting your money or even making things worse.

I had a knee injury a while back and a physio was able to point me in the right direction. I needed a 'hinged' brace like this:

1699207176227.png

... and was able to find one on Amazon for just over £40, which I was very happy with. No idea what (if anything) would be appropriate for arthritis though!

Friends going through similar issues, usually football / racquets, accident or weight related, all say similar things about swerving the NHS for advice and guidance, going straight to a physio on your own account.

Not expensive, way faster, and usually older & more experienced than NHS staff who tend to be young / “starting out.”

A long wait and bad “free” advice is “expensive.”

Last edited:
Yup, when I had my knee injury (caused by a sheep :D :eek: :doh: :fail: ) I saw a private physio, although IIRC I did need a GP referral. The wait for an NHS physio appointment at the time was about 5 weeks.

Yup, when I had my knee injury (caused by a sheep :D :eek: :doh: :fail: ) I saw a private physio, although IIRC I did need a GP referral. The wait for an NHS physio appointment at the time was about 5 weeks.
I won't ask what you were doing to the sheep at the time! 🤣🤣🤣

Hope you're well Bill, KR Matt :thumb:

I won't ask what you were doing to the sheep at the time! 🤣🤣🤣

Hope you're well Bill, KR Matt :thumb:

Everybody at the physio practice thought it was hilarious as they'd never heard of it happening before! My young collie was training on sheep, and being a bit 'keen' caused them to stampede into me. One of them head-butted me on the side of the knee at full speed, causing a classic "footballer's injury" to the medial collateral ligament (MCL).

Capture.JPG

If you stand the sheep on a small table first then you don't have to bend your knees so much....therefore avoiding such injuries......so I have heard anyway!!!!!

How often do you have to feed the sheep ???????????
The problem is that they keep calling you for weeks afterwards

I had to wait 4 weeks to see my GP ( who told me that you can refer yourself to the local physio) and then 8 weeks for an appointment after completing an online "consultation" which I apparently passed. Visit lasted 10 minutes and I was sent away with a leaflet. Waste of time- I won't be making that mistake again.

Useful thread. My good lady has bone-on-bone in both knees. Lucky enough to be having one replaced later this month, but the advice here will be helpful for the other knee until that one gets done

I had a problem with my knee, so I sent the required email to the GP. I then had a phone consultation where he told me there was nothing they could do, but he'd send me a video of some exercises. I love the personal touch of seeing my dedicated health professional!

Here's the video - it could save you a phone call!

I had to wait 4 weeks to see my GP ( who told me that you can refer yourself to the local physio) and then 8 weeks for an appointment after completing an online "consultation" which I apparently passed. Visit lasted 10 minutes and I was sent away with a leaflet. Waste of time- I won't be making that mistake again.

I remember now that I did a video consultation as I had 'Babylon' (and Bupa) through work at the time:

I got a consultation with a normal UK GP in about 10 mins. Looks like anyone can use this now in 'pay as you go' mode ... £59 for a GP consultation including referral / prescription if applicable.

I had a problem with my knee, so I sent the required email to the GP. I then had a phone consultation where he told me there was nothing they could do, but he'd send me a video of some exercises. I love the personal touch of seeing my dedicated health professional!

Here's the video - it could save you a phone call!

Does make a bit of a mockery of the much vaunted "Person Centred Care" which gets thrown about by professionals in the care system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom