Knew I should'nt have gone to ATS....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seven

Car
Transporter Kombi
Why did I do it?
Puncture this morning. Took it to the ATS round the corner. Asked them to be VERY careful. They were not. Tyre iron mark on the rim.
I was lucky in that I took a video of the wheel before and hopefully that will stop them from trying to wriggle out of it.
Now I know that wheels are repairable but it seems as though they are never the same after. Should I accept a repair or push for a new wheel? Would they even entertain that?
SO angry with myself!

Can you post the vid/photo?

I would be very surprised if tyre lever damage warranted a new wheel, though I do know how you feel about it not seeming the same afterwards.

Have had this so many times in the past. I now get the tyres from Camskill or similar and the local wheel refurb outfit fits them for me. They seem to be the only people not to damage the rim.

This is one of the main reasons took a recommendation from this forum to use E-Tyres.
Instead of being told to wait in a waiting room I was able to watch everything they did while my Vito was on my driveway. Good service and the best price I could find.

I hate my vehicles going in for service or repairs for fear of accidental damage occurring. Some garages are careful (I'd trust the ones listed on MB Club) but some are not.

Local MB dealer damaged one on the CLK last year when it was serviced. They could not argue as they had inspected the car before we signed the papers. Response was " very sorry, please keep the loan car and we will get it fixed". They were as good as their word. Could not ask for a new wheel as it had been refurbished before.

Refurb is probably acceptable fix, but if it is diamond cut then in a year it will be corroded and flaking.

WTF did they use a tyre iron?

I have only been burnt by this once where I thought I would trust a fitter - now I always agree the state of the wheels prior to fitting new tyres.

They don't need to trash the wheel, they are just lazy. They probably scratched the bolt holes too using an air gun - check.

S

They don't need to trash the wheel, they are just lazy. They probably scratched the bolt holes too using an air gun - check.
S

Will do, thanks. They also only put 34 psi in. What has gone wrong with customer service and people caring in this country? Not tarring everyone with the same brush, mind.

Refurb is probably acceptable fix, but if it is diamond cut then in a year it will be corroded and flaking.
Why is that? My wheels are diamond cut, so if refurbs don't work I'll be even more paranoid about them getting kerbed!

If anyone knows where I can get a white C63 coupe from for delivery in September on a business lease Ill make it very worth there while. Very. There's got to be one in the country ffs.

You posting that on every thread?
Start your own!

^^ reported as spam.
:D

This is one of the main reasons took a recommendation from this forum to use E-Tyres.
Instead of being told to wait in a waiting room I was able to watch everything they did while my Vito was on my driveway. Good service and the best price I could find.

I hate my vehicles going in for service or repairs for fear of accidental damage occurring. Some garages are careful (I'd trust the ones listed on MB Club) but some are not.

I know what you mean. I use a good local indie but thats twice now I've had minor dents on the wings and denials it was them, the first time I was sort of skeptical but believed them, the second time and a clear memory and photo of the car just before proves otherwise. Worth arguing the toss, maybe but I'd just go elsewhere if thats the level of disdain my car will be treated to.

I realise not ATS branches will be of equivalent quality but a decade or so ago, I trusted ATS Slough with my M3 17" wheels and watched what they did - never a problem.

I asked my local place how they protected wheels and they use plastic bits and pieces - and it is working so far.

Credit where its due....King David Tyres in Risca. :)

Couldn't believe it but picked up a puncture on mine on Tuesday evening :( Really wasn't happy at the thought of the tyre fitters being let loose on my 300 mile old alloy...but they plugged the hole and were really, really careful and did a fantastic job, including using a specific socket with protective tape and washing off all the tyre soap, before refitting the wheel.

Sighs of relief all round!

:)

have you taken it away from the garage? if so they will probably just say you've done it since....

no chance of a new wheel IMHO.... but i'd push for a referb if its really bad.

Well shock of all shocks the update on this is that they are going to supply me with a brand new wheel. Only downside - and it isnt really one - is that there are none in the UK and and none in Germany. Up to four month wait which is fine by me.

It's not so much the **** up, it's how they deal with it.

They must have copied the customer service at MB like for like.

...and then had a serious re-think.

Only problem I suppose is that they will want to change the tyre themselves!

I realise not ATS branches will be of equivalent quality
Yes. My local ATS is actually very good and having had new tyres fitted on a few cars without issue I can only agree that not all branches are the same.

But, the best service of all has come from Wheels In Motion, but for simple tyre change it's much quicker for me to go to the local ATS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom