Knife sharpner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm sure someone thought it a good idea.

I have a suite of some 10 kitchen knives, and amazingly, despite not having robot arms, all my fingers and no octopus technology, I have managed to keep the sharp and true by using either wood or plastic to cut on, and sharpened with a ceramic steel and for my Japanese knives, a good old-fashioned wetstone. Meanwhile, my parents have totally wrecked their knives to the point of them being dangerous, by using glass chopping boards and a pull through sharpener.

I have a suite of some 10 kitchen knives, and amazingly, despite not having robot arms, all my fingers and no octopus technology, I have managed to keep the sharp and true by using either wood or plastic to cut on, and sharpened with a ceramic steel and for my Japanese knives, a good old-fashioned wetstone. Meanwhile, my parents have totally wrecked their knives to the point of them being dangerous, by using glass chopping boards and a pull through sharpener.

Similar scenario for me - a wetstone and diamond sharpners do the trick. The steel just touches up an edge occasionally. Glass chopping boards should be broken over peoples heads for the damage they do to an edge! Despite having some expensive knives the best steel I have for holding an edge is a spanish "sticking knife" for about £4. Not the best handle for chopping but then it was designed for abattoir use which involves different cutting angles.

Its the best knife sharpener I've used but must say it eats away your blade!

How are you doing koolivn - anyone bought one yet:D

And another for Global here , tend to just use my 14cm cooks knife for everything though.

Also got quite a few sabatiers and I have a big deep bladed cheapo commercial knife that I half inched from a kitchen I worked in years ago that I love and is good for most things , made by Nella

Be honest now , you bought your first global off the back of Anthony bourdain saying they were cool in Kitchen Confidential ? Lol

OK then, sounds like we have the true experts here. After years of using a pull-through sharpener I've eventually got round to getting a steel. I've not been too impressed with either. The steel seems to be quite good at touching up a knife before each use, but if the knife's already too dull I can't get a good edge with the steel, especially at the tip of the knife. So I'm thinking I need to get a whetstone, but which one. There are so many on Amazon and at vastly different prices. Help - I want sharp knives again ... for kitchen use only I hasten to add!

I've had Global knives for the last 12 years or so and as Charles has said, if you cut onto wood or nylon chopping boards, store the knives properly and don't do daft things with them that would bruise the edge, then they need very infrequent sharpening. When I do want to dress them I use one of these:

31Ox2EVKXHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

which is simple and quick to use and leaves a perfect edge.

Help - I want sharp knives again ... for kitchen use only I hasten to add!
I don't claim to be an expert, but I've found over the years that many "domestic" knives are made of a grade of steel that simply won't hold an edge, so you end up continually having to sharpen them. The simplest solution is to buy top quality blades in the first instance and don't abuse them, then you'll only have to sharpen them very infrequently.

I'd recommend Global knives which, although expensive, really do perform exceptionally well. If you just want to try a Global knife out rather than spending lots on a set, I'd recommend the GS5 - GS5 14cm Vegetable Chopper:

21XSucNhzfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

which is a great "general purpose" knife.

So I'm thinking I need to get a whetstone, but which one. There are so many on Amazon and at vastly different prices. Help - I want sharp knives again ... for kitchen use only I hasten to add!

Cannot help you much;the whetstones I use were inherited from my step grandsfather who got his whilst an apprentice carpenter at Cadburys before the war. frankly one for £12-15 off the internet will do a better job than a pull through sharpner which typically leaves a rough edge along its length and 2 concave profiles to the edge which will turn very easily if it hits anything too solid (avoid the sternum;)).

why do you want the tip sharp? Are you skinning or doing much fine work? Most cutting chopping is done much further back along the blade where the weight of the knife helps do the work.

What is all this talk about kitchen implements...?? :dk:

You should have been here for the vacuum cleaner thread, Will...

I have 5 Kai knives and I adore them. I can slice onions more finely and rapidly than a food processor, and I have never had knives quite so beautiful too. I drool over some of the unique Japanese damascene steel knives - google Hattori - but the wait and the price is a nonsense.

I drool over some of the unique Japanese damascene steel knives - google Hattori - but the wait and the price is a nonsense.

Hattori Hanso ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom