Knock Down Kit from a suitcase...

• Thread starter Deleted member 149005
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do the suitcases have to go through two weeks quarantine?

The most salient statement in the linked article, and one that will have gone straight over the heads of most readers, is (my emphasis):
In a statement, JLR said its direct supply chain is "primarily European and in the UK, with a small percentage in China".
The reality is that there are lots of components - especially electronics - that may well be manufactured in Europe but contain further components that are supplied from China.

This has potential to have a similar, or perhaps even greater, effect on global manufacturing as the Fukushima nuclear plant meltdown.

I wonder how many other manufacturers, across all industries, will be experiencing the same....

Actually in the 60’s you could fit ‘A man in a suitcase’. ;)

I’ll get my coat.

I thought that was The Police in the 70s?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

No, it was a TV series

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

about a former U.S. intelligence officer, accused of treason, based in London and taking on freelance jobs around Europe as he searches for answers to try to clear his name. I recall the name, but nothing else about it.

Clothing industry is being hit as we speak. Not good.

Had this a few years ago on a production line (automotive) basically a 'widget' no bigger than the top of a felt tip pen was out of spec...all few thousand of them. As the factory was committed to up to 500 'sets' a day phone calls were made , emails sent and a man with a suitcase full of them turned up at Heathrow and was collected post haste. Spent a night in a local hotel and back on the next plane.
The items we were making had parts in them from UK, Japan, China, Taiwan, USA, Romania and probably a few others i am not aware of. It really is that close in the car industry, and other industries no doubt.

Last edited:
Had this a few years ago on a production line (automotive) basically a 'widget' no bigger than the top of a felt tip pen was out of spec...all few thousand of them. As the factory was committed to up to 500 'sets' a day phone calls were made , emails sent and a man with a suitcase full of them turned up at Heathrow and was collected post haste. Spent a night in a local hotel and back on the next plane.
The items we were making had parts in them from UK, Japan, China, Taiwan, USA, Romania and probably a few others i am not aware of. It really is that close in the car industry, and other industries no doubt.

The UK car industry was responsible for the demise of many small/medium suppliers during the 70`s & 80`s. They would start by placing small batch orders , gradually increasing volume , but driving down the prices and once the supplier was deeply committed and dependent on them they would either delay payment or suspend orders, then step in and take over the supplier.
I also recall supplying a customer with "miles" of timing chains for a number of years . The orders suddenly dried up. I rang the customer , only to be told that they would no longer require our services as they were now geared up to supply timing belts.
In those days the competition from Japanese suppliers was placing ever increasing pressure on profit margins whilst the Chinese were largely excluded on the basis of being unable to produce steel products with the carbon chrome content required to produce bearings etc of durable quality. These problems were partly solved by British Steel helping them build steel mills and SKF providing them with quality raw materials.
Nowadays there are many "branded" goods ( ie gearboxes & motors) purportedly from Germany, Italy etc which are full of Chinese components. And lead times on a great many products are becoming worse due to lack of stockholding globally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom