Knock Sensor needs replacing exhaust - quoted £1200!!!! :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had one go one my E350 Petrol (a 'proper' engine!) so they're not safe from this failure either

Was initially warned it might have to be both that are replaced but MBS managed to code in only one

Yep, very expensive (£500 plus all in)
Annoyed, but many on here have had them fail recently

Some say...... it's the hot summer we've had?

Fingers crossed, nothing since!

The E350 Diesel is the perfect engine and a proper one FOR ME. Perfect all rounder FOR ME.

BACK to the Nox Sensors.

I called up Merc Head of office Services and had a list of bullet points that you all had mentioned ie poor quality sensors , common fault , good will gesture for people out of warranty etc.

Spoke to a lovely lady who was very helpful. She brought up my car details and info about my last visit. I told her that I was denied by Mercedes to get this fixed outside of warranty and wanted to know why others weren’t. Then I when through all my bullet points that I had prepared god bless her.

She told me your local dealer did an automated system review, but she can request a manual review from MB which someone will look into my case then contact my local dealer to discuss the matter. She kept on saying don’t worry we will be able to sort something out. Then said if we are not able to cover the full cost maybe MB will contribute to the cost.

Should hear back soon with an answer. Again fingers crossed.

Will keep you all updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had the EML light come on the ML :( Booked in with indy for Monday to have fault codes read. I really hope it's not these sensors. It's a 2012 350, which I think is the same engine as yours OP, ours is around the 67k mileage mark.

Be interesting to see what response you get from your dealership.

Just had the EML light come on the ML :( Booked in with indy for Monday to have fault codes read. I really hope it's not these sensors. It's a 2012 350, which I think is the same engine as yours OP, ours is around the 67k mileage mark.

Be interesting to see what response you get from your dealership.

I thought yours was a petrol Abb?

I can show you the document from MB in Germany about the software updates for NOX sensor replacement if you like?

I think you were right 1st time round Natacha :D

I wish! They didn't do a petrol version of the W166......apart from the 63, which mine is not sadly.

Ohhhh :(

I can show you the document from MB in Germany about the software updates for NOX sensor replacement if you like?
What would be interesting would be to hear what parameters are changed by the software updates. Are they simply to adapt the car electronics to a new design/manufacturer/operating parameters of the new NOx sensors or something peripheral like the temperature as signaled by that exhaust temperature sensor or the time delay to NOx sensor switch on [and thus presumably Adblue fluid addition] to protect them from moisture ?? In other words is increased reliability due to a new more robust sensor design or relaxing their operating window to reduce the chance of damage. Or maybe a bit of both?? :dk:

Reactions: Ted
Update Nox Sensors:

Got a call from my local Mercedes Dealership regarding my call to MB Head office.

GREAT NEWS GUYS / GIRLS!! Mercedes are covering 100% of the cost as a good will gesture!

Mercedes HO offered 65% contribution and it was my local dealer that contributed the rest. Reason for that was that I bought my car new from that dealership and have used their service department for 5 years.

I was jumping for joy. My car also needed a gear box service which I was gonna wait for but while it was in i book that in to.

Gear box service for my 63 reg e350 came to £230!! I thought that was very cheap, I was told a discount was put on their including my diagnostics charge refund. Again I was very pleased with this as i though it was around the £500 mark.

My love for Mercedes has been restored. Now I just hope this new sensors last.

Want to also thank the forum and everyone who has replied to my post. Without you guys I wouldn’t of had this problem resolved and would of been £1200 short. Will post a last update when the jobs have been completed.

Thank you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that is a reeeeeeeesult! :) Like many things in life, it's not what goes wrong, it's how you deal with it.

Wow, excellent result and a very good example of how to go about getting some support I think. Arguably a shame one has to go to these lengths for what is clearly a well known issue, but whatever, a good outcome.

Thats brilliant! Well done to Mercedes. That was such a great gesture to do. What address was the dealership. They deserve a good review for such a generous goodwill repair. Nice to hear this conclusion. Think the main dealers are taking a lot if flack lately for expensive repairs. Good to give them the praise they deserve when they gone the extra mile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom