Knock Through Steering on Full Lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbenz76

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 AMG Night Edition Premium Plus Saloon
A bit of history:

About 18-months ago I was getting a strange creak when turning hard and stopping at the same time (think pulling into a parking space).

Dealer (after some back and forth) changed the passenger-side front shock and proble went away.

Back to the present:

Recently noticed a very similar noise accompanied by a knock through the steering wheel when turning on full left lock.

Dealer also heard noise and diagnosed the driver-side front shock. They told me that the slight knock on full lock was not abnormal due to the stressed being put through everything and told me they had checked everything steering rated and there was nothing to worry about.

When car went in for shock changing they said they now couldn't replicate the noise so wanted the car for a few days to change various parts and test. I had to book for some weeks later but in the meantime they said they had greased a number if things to see if that cured it.

Sure enough, in the meantime the noise went away. I kept the booking though as the knock in the steering was still present and I wanted some more reassurance.

Got car back and they had changed the shock after all and said that was the cause of all my strange noises.

The knock on the steering is still there. No better or worse that it has ever been. So, what I want tink know from those who know more than me is whether any knock from steering like I describe could be considered normal and if not what it could be so I can go back and assert myself!

Also, the noise has gone (or is rather still gone) only now I have a new noise I hadn't noticed before (not to say it wasn't there before and I just hadn't heard it) which I can hear as I drive over a speed bump - as the front wheels come off the bump back onto the road there is a "clink" noise fron the front end. I can only hear it with the window down and no road noise. I did wonder whether this is a new shock settling down.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Forgot to add but can't edit now for some reason.

i can hear a scuffing type noise (before and after shock change) like a brake binding or something scuffing on a tyre, but dealer insists everything wheel and steering wise is fine.

I do have alightly abnormal tyre wear on front - outside edges wearing quicker than rest but dealer said nothing abnormal but did recommend a 4-wheel track when I do change tyres. I wonder if this is down to the shocks being faulty as the one changed last has worse wear and if so whether MB would contribute to tyre cost as thu replaced shocks under warranty and so accept responsibility for the fault.

The knock could be very difficult to diagnose. I have the same thing on my 190E... turn full lock right and I will get one loud knock... Have checked the car thoroughly and cannot find the prorblem...

Its going to be a joint somewhere but these things can be very difficult to find.

Thanks

Yeah, I thought it might be one of those tricky ones.

Sort of happy after they told me they can find nothing wrong, so at least there is not danger of failure when driving etc.

I don't like noises I can't get to the bottom of though :)

My 124 had a knock on full lock when reversing.

Turned out to be the rubber on the "steering stops" had worn through on one side. Cost buttons to replace.

It was only apparent when reversing as I was going slowly hence not much engine noise and had my window down.

Well spotted the boys at TMS.

My 124 had a knock on full lock when reversing.

Turned out to be the rubber on the "steering stops" had worn through on one side. Cost buttons to replace.

It was only apparent when reversing as I was going slowly hence not much engine noise and had my window down.

Well spotted the boys at TMS.
Hi, I've noticed the exact symptom on my E320 on full left lock in reverse, one prominent knock! I've recently replaced a front control arm on front right which solved a "wobble" on left hand bends due to fault ball joint but the "knock" is still there in reverse. Hoping that I can resolve this knock, do you think that my steering stop rubber is gone too? Could it have contributed to the wear of the ball joint? Can you clarify exactly what part I'd need to buy in order to replace as I've googled MB Steering Stop rubber but am not getting any obvious shopping results back. I've invested in a Haynes Manual and am hoping it is something I can resolve at home myself. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom