Knockhill in an e55k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickjonesn4

Car
E55K AMG Wagon, Porsche 993 C2S, Polestar 2
Brilliant day today doing performance driving course at Knockhill with a pro racing driver. Great fun getting the Wagon out on track and learning to get it round corners faster.

Funny moment when I was getting my 3 demo laps fro. Chris and he floored it up the main straight and he turned to me in disbelief at how quick a 13 year old estate car was. Suffice to say he got us round very very quickly and after 10 or so laps I was able to set a reasonable pace too. Great fun blasting past GTIs on the straight.

Brakes got a bit hot however! Will probably stick to tracking my other cars from now on but awesome to see how well the big beast coped.

Took my CLS to knockhill just after I got it, I had great fun. I had similar issues with my brakes, overheated after about 6 laps, the tight twisty track takes a lot out of your brakes. Also had the IC pump struggle after about 4-5 laps, which I had replaced at the next service. I managed to get 125mph along past the gantry before I had to slow down for duffus, which probably isn't that fast on there, but it felt it with the corner coming up quickly!!!

Took my CLS to knockhill just after I got it, I had great fun. I had similar issues with my brakes, overheated after about 6 laps, the tight twisty track takes a lot out of your brakes. Also had the IC pump struggle after about 4-5 laps, which I had replaced at the next service. I managed to get 125mph along past the gantry before I had to slow down for duffus, which probably isn't that fast on there, but it felt it with the corner coming up quickly!!!

Yep braking down the hill from 125mph in a two ton estate car is pretty interesting!

I guess ESP etc. can also cause the brakes to heat up if you're lapping in a 'spirited' manner? :D

Funny moment when I was getting my 3 demo laps fro. Chris and he floored it up the main straight and he turned to me in disbelief at how quick a 13 year old estate car was. Suffice to say he got us round very very quickly and after 10 or so laps I was able to set a reasonable pace too. Great fun blasting past GTIs on the straight.

I took my E55 to an Airfield in York for one of their ex-racing driver instructors talked me through their track.

He was amazed at not only how quick I could get the car round the track (under his guidance of course!), but also how fast it went.

OK mine was quicker than standard and he'd experienced them before but he was astounded.

The noise of course is sublime for every genuine petrolhead!

Good to see even at this late stage of age, some w211 e55s getting out there on track. Pushing the engine and drive train is a walk in the park for these cars, but the brakes as stated here, have a hard time, but at least they are replaceable at relatively low cost, I run my car with the 12 piston Brabus brake kit, with Carbotec track pads, still manage to over heat the set, albeit primarily trying to keep up with Simon M these days, but used to track Ace J and Benjy, but those two are in their own world these days with the mac and R8, just let have to let them go, and let them play, LOL! great fun:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom