Knocking / clonking noise from front wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sasha

Car
ML63 - 2009
I get a slight knocking / clonking noise from the front wheels when I go over small potholes or bumps and a very little vibration back through the steering wheel.

I had the balljoints replaced about 10,000 miles ago, so do not expect them to be the problem.

It feels as if the whole of the front wheel setup needs tightening up?

Does anyone have any ideas what could be up?

Thanks

Sasha

Clonking Noise

I had this on my W203 some weeks back - coming from the rear of the vehicle everytime I went over a bump!! I was like :eek:

Took it into the garage - took engineer out for a little spin hopeing the noise would return - he heard it and said it was the Rear Suspension Coil. On closer examination in the garage - the Rear Left Coil has snapped / sheared!! :eek:

I was like whaaaaaaaaaat!! He said that is was a common problem - water had got in somehow and rusted the coil.

This might be the case with yours - but then again might not... Just thought it sounded quite similar to my problem.

They sorted it quickly enuff - 2 new rear suspension coils. :)

sasha said:
I get a slight knocking / clonking noise from the front wheels when I go over small potholes or bumps and a very little vibration back through the steering wheel.

I had the balljoints replaced about 10,000 miles ago, so do not expect them to be the problem.

Thanks

Sasha

Sasha, what are your front shockers like?

(someone is bound to say round and 2 foot long)

sasha said:

Thanks

Sasha
Its the link arms, they're about 6-8 inches long. Surprised they never swapped them when they did the balljoints?

Don't worry, the parts are about a tenners worth.

I agree, link arms or front shocks. Mine are squeaking and clunk every now and then.. as Ian can confidently tell you!!

But I would start with the links, afaik, the link on the 203 is a modified part. Springs are a known fault and I replaced mine recently with a set of h&rs.

thanks for the advice guys, I'll get em checked out, seemed to have started since the cold weather came in

(i have no idea what my shockers are like!)

thx

guys

Not ashamed to give lifts now squeeking gone, but a large hole in my pocket instead as a trip to the stealers fixed it.
Due to bearings on anti roll bar and new drag links, This is on a car of 4 years old with 41,000 miles. Seems to me like a case of bad design or faulty conponents, awaiting response from customer service.
If you dont live in hope, you will die in dispair! :bannana: :bannana:

Here's what happened:

Took the car to The Alignment Centre in Alperton.

They diagnosed new steering rack required and wheel bearing adjusted.

Got pushed to George Fraser who did the work on the spot! Really impressed with the customer service there.

Bill came to £350.

Then back to the alignment centre for alignment £75.

Steering feels much better and no clonking.

Although GF and the alignment centre did me proud, i still forked out over £400 for this damn car AGAIN!!!

any other car would have a steering rack that can be tightened up or adjusted, mine requires a part worth £180...

:(

How old is the car and how many miles has it coverered?

Are there many speed humps etc where you live/drive. Has it had low profile tyres from new?

£350 for the work doesn't sound too bad, and £75 for the alignment seems fine. Although it's annoying when things go wrong, it's nice to know that it's been fixed properly and the replacement parts should last for many thousands of miles.

Just think how much that work would have cost at an MB main dealer! ;)

Hope you enjoy the 'as new' car feel once more :)

Will

I guess I wasn't clear, I was very happy with the work and the price.

My gripe is having to have the work done in the first place!!!

Mileage 65K - I live in Central London so that's a yes to pot holes and speed bumps.

I will need a new ofs tyre before I get that positive new car feel again.

... and it is reassuring to know, given that it is steering in question, that the work has been done properly.

:)

Last edited:
I think that with 65K miles of city traffic, pot hole/speed bumps etc the failure is not too unexpected, especially with AMG wheels/low profile tyres. That's a fair amount of work on the steering/suspension.

As you point out, it's nice to know that steering/suspension/brakes on any car are up to scratch.

Fingers crossed for a few more trouble free months at least!

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom