Knocking from behind dash???? Anyone help!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hindesbeans

Car
E220 & SLK230
Good evening
today i have had a strange knocking/clonking noise start, and it is coming from behinde the dash. I am sure it is in some way related to the heater fan as when it clonks, the fan definately reduces then slowly picks up again until....clonk then dips again... so on so on
anybody have any idea
thanks all

Stepper motor?
Does the noise stop after a few seconds or it it there all the time?

hello hindsbeans, sounds like a flap servo motor. if it clicks/clonks about 1 or 2 times per second and only lasts for about 30 seconds on every start up it will be exactly that. cost is between 2 and 8 hrs labour and about £2 for the part!! if you are ever near stowmarket in suffolk i can look at it for you...

Thanks Guys for your quick reply's
it does sound like the flap servo motor or the stepper motor! it is there on most start ups today, it does only last for about 30 seconds but the knock is more like once every 2-3 seconds? not 1-2 times per second, would it still be the flap in question?
alaxander patie, i only live approx 1hr from stowmarket, is that a gen offer to have a free look at it? :thumb:
Many thanks
Danny

hi danny, i don't remember mentioning the F word :D. but yes, we could have a quick look, plug in the star, and hopefully tell you which flap/servo/arm in question is at fault. if you intend to have the repair done with us the diagnosis will be free, if not expect to pay around £15 - £20. naturally when i go independent i will always diag for free.

Alexander, i didnt realise there were different flaps to choose from!! If i took the car to my local garage how would they find out which one it is before pulling the dash to bits? Also 2 - 8 hrs labour, why is there such a massive time variance?
Thanks Danny

to diagnose with certainty, use of a star machine or autodiagnos will be needed. behind your dash there are 6 or 9 seperate servo motors and any one could be at fault. the most common one can be fixed in around 2 hrs as although it is hard to get at the dash does not need to be removed. other ones are not so simple...

Knocking Noise - CLK

Hi,

I am considering buying a 2002 CLK 320 from a friend. The car is in immaculate condition and a very fine example - however it does have this issue with the knocking sound behind the dash.

It doesnt seem to affect performance or the drive of the car but nonetheless it is very irritating and unwanted. Is it likely to be this issue with the common, more easy to locate motor (without removing the dash). I would consider coming to suffolk for a check up...

Ok guys.... hope your sitting down..... just had two motors replaced on my CLK55... Dash out and an official 11 hours job... My bill was £830 which was discounted!!

CLK Knocking Dashboard

Whoa! That seems a ridiculous amount for such a small yet annoying problem! Has it been a major issue for you to use the car with this problem?

Here's my dilemma - am buying this car from a friend, a very fine example of a CLK 320 with - AMG Kit, keyless go, Xenons, Parking Sensors, Sat Nav etc. It has this knocking sound issue for the first 15-20 seconds each time the car is started.

Is it a big enough issue not to buy the car in your opinion having had the problem?

Nope. not at all.... My previous CLK500 did it as well and I lived with it.... you're right, it last sometimes for 15-20 secs although mine lasted longer and did my head in as i like my car to be 100%

Buy the car...

Standard on these age of CLK's now. Every time I get in one it's knocking/clicking lol.

It's just one of the motors for the air flaps in the heat box/re-circ flap.

It's a mega job, if you're **** it'll cost you BIG - but if you can live with it, it's not going to hurt. As said - usually goes within a minute of starting.

I have the same problem on my clk 320, very annoying, i'm going to try to claim this on the extended warrenty i have taken out with waranty direct, did get a quote from the stealers - from £250- £1000 depending on which motor was faulty

Ahh - i was considering the same actually....

Let me know what the Warranty guys say on this pls.....

How would I know if this is a 2 hr job btw..?

I have the same problem on my clk 320, very annoying, i'm going to try to claim this on the extended warrenty i have taken out with waranty direct, did get a quote from the stealers - from £250- £1000 depending on which motor was faulty

Ahh - i was considering the same actually....

Let me know what the Warranty guys say on this pls.....

How would I know if this is a 2 hr job btw..?

You have'nt been to france lately have you, maybe the asylum seeker wants out.!!!:D

I love this forum..!!

Have exactly the same issue with my 320 CLK. Is this sort of thing usually covered by warranties.? (of the used car type).

If so, it will be on the list of things to get done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom