Knocking noise on front offside.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taffyjenks

Bootle, Merseyside.Originally from Pembrokeshire.
Car
mercedes E270 CDI
I have a W211 E Class and I am experiencing a knocking noise on the front off side.This started some weeks ago and since it started my local garage has replaced the front offside spring,track rod end and shock absorber now they are trying to say it is the steering rack has play in it but not enough to fail an MOT or even an advisory notice.I am beginning to feel I am getting my pants tugged and someone is trying to have them off.The noise is as bad as ever in fact worse.I am happy that it is nothing dangerous but it is very annoying and I have several miles to do soon pulling a caravan.Any ideas from you Mercedes experts?
Thanks
Tony Jenkins.
Any trusted mercedes mechanics Merseyside Area would be appreciated.

Has it been checked whilst the vehicle has been on a 4 post ramp, eg MOT ramp

Not all play is visible when on a 2 post lift.

They have a small ball joint part way along the camber arm which the anti roll bar drop link attaches to, this is sometimes overlooked.

Play is only detected on a 4 post ramp. If so, on some models you can get it seperate as opposed to buy a full arm.

When is the noise there, different road surfaces , speed?

Probably anti roll bar drop link. Had a few done over the years on various BMWs and MBs. Nearly every time there was no identifiable wear or problem but replacing them solved the irritating noises.

The drop links are not usually expensive. Nothing shows up usually even on the ramp but it gives a very distinctive metallic click/knock when driving. Its worth giving it a go.

I had a similar problem but on the nearside, it was most noticeable going over uneven road surface and it turned out to be the lower ball joint. There was no play in it and I only replaced it because the car failed the MOT on the offside lower ball joint and as the car was new to me at the time, I replaced the n/s & o/s lower and upper ball joints.

my 123 coupe does the same thing on the offside front under heavy loading and undulations in the road.
suspected a bushing or anti roll link but it didn't show on the MOT either.

I had similar knocking noise on my R129 the other day which had me really concerned as it was ruining the driving experience. I was expecting to find a worn bush or similar but I stuck it on the ramp and couldnt find any worn bushes underneath so lowered the ramp again and looked in the engine bay and discovered that the bolt on the top strut mount needed retightening. A nice 30 second fix.

If they have recently replaced your shock it may be they didnt torque this nut up correctly so worth getting a spanner out and giving it a tweak to see.

Drop-links are a common wear-out feature of these cars.
Cheap to buy and easy to replace.
Best to do both.

Drop links hardly ever wear on the 211's.

I would be looking at the thrust arm or lower ball joint. Wear in both is easy to test.

Re Liverpool indies - some very recent recs here. Your current garage sounds clueless - go to an expert like Olly above!

Just thought. The top arm ball joint can knock too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom