Knocking on steering on new GLC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twigs72

Car
vw touran
Just enquiring if anyone has a knocking or a slight jump on the steering on their GLC when it is on full lock and then maneuver? My father had just bought his about three weeks ago and it has been in the garage for two weeks sorting this out and they have taken the suspension apart and reassembled it and changed the wheel bearings and there is still the fault. I am just wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

Just enquiring if anyone has a knocking or a slight jump on the steering on their GLC when it is on full lock and then maneuver? My father had just bought his about three weeks ago and it has been in the garage for two weeks sorting this out and they have taken the suspension apart and reassembled it and changed the wheel bearings and there is still the fault. I am just wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

Interesting, I'm getting the same on mine. Only happens on full lock, I assumed it was just a "funny" that was part of the car. I'll need to test some more.

Last edited:
The demo car did this to me. I assumed it was tire scrub due to the angle of the wheels when at full lock.

I noticed at full lock the wheel would not re-centre

Happytalk73 said:
I assume you mean whilst reversing? If you mean whilst going forward surely that's wrong. :dk: Ant.

No going forward at low speed with the wheel turned fully the steering didn't re-centre.

I put that down to the big chunky wheels and the tilted angle

No going forward at low speed with the wheel turned fully the steering didn't re-centre.

Which model demo GLC did you have as my dad has a GLC 250 Sport with standard 18" wheels.

Interesting, I'm getting the same on mine. Only happens on full lock, I assumed it was just a "funny" that was part of the car. I'll need to test some more.

Tangey, what model do you have as I have already said my dad has a 250 Sport with standard 18" wheels.

twigs72 said:
Which model demo GLC did you have as my dad has a GLC 250 Sport with standard 18" wheels.

A 220d Sport with the standard wheels

Attachments

• image-3815993997.jpg
    image-3815993997.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 45
Seems there are two threads running on this so I add my reply here too.
I've owned a few cars that 'jump' when reversing on full lock. Worst was my R8 (Quattro and very large rear tyres didn't help) Almost as bad was my RS4, Cayman and Boxster also done it but not as bad as the Audi's. There's a technical reason behind it and is deemed normal on many cars, not sure if that is the case for the GLC though. It was always worse in cold weather. Google 'Ackerman' steering, it may, or may not be related.

My E63 jumps slightly when reversing on full lock.

Yep most cars with a fat ar*e and wide rubber on the rears tend to do this as already highlighted the R8 and Cayman are two of the worst

Tangey, what model do you have as I have already said my dad has a 250 Sport with standard 18" wheels.

Same as your dad.

I'd have thought your merc service dept would discount tyre scrub before going through all the work you mentioned, so perhaps you dads is a different issue. I took mine to a car park this evening for a quick test, and it definitely feels and sounds like a characteristic of the tyres at full lock.

The OP is talking about going forward on full lock, not specifically reversing.

Tried mine this morning and I can get it to make a noise on full lock, but none of my 4x4/SUVs have been happy on tarmac on full lock, you are trying to make the inner wheels drive a much smaller circle than the outer wheels, with the tyres at a sharp angle, with grippy tyres, something has to give.

Tried mine this morning and I can get it to make a noise on full lock, but none of my 4x4/SUVs have been happy on tarmac on full lock, you are trying to make the inner wheels drive a much smaller circle than the outer wheels, with the tyres at a sharp angle, with grippy tyres, something has to give.

What's your experience of the car pulling away from a junction/roundabout ? I'm finding it takes a second or so to get moving, you put your foot on the accelerator, but bugger all much happens for a noticeable time. This is with start/stop disabled and the brake already released. As this is my first auto, I'm willing to accept that autos work differently, but would like the opinion of it from someone who is used to driving autos.

The pickup seems normal to me, but I have driven automatics on and off for over 20 years and nothing but automatics for the last 13 years, so I suppose I just expect a slight hesitation. Autos are very much better now than they used to be, my worst was a 3.9 litre V8 Range Rover that took forever to lethargically move away. Even in my Jaguar XF, which had far more power than I ever used, people often pulled away from lights slightly quicker, then I just surged by. If I can I always try and just keep rolling, which probably means a quicker take-off.

Thanks for all the feedback. It's just that it happening on this brand new car as he had a BMW X1 before and still has which doesn't do this and also is automatic and has 4wd and has 19" wheels on low profile. He's had plenty of mercs and automatics which has never done this before. Dealer is in the process of accepting 'rejection of car'.

Hi,
I've got exactly the same problem. Had wondered if the tyres were over pressurised and were perhaps just skidding and then gripping being brand new when moving forward on full lock but pressures are ok. For what it's worth mine are 20" wheels so would appear to be happening across the full range of sizes. Would be interested to know how it concludes with your dealer as I was going to give it a few more weeks before popping in.

Drove my wife's new VW Tiquan through a 180 degree tight turn in an underground car park with painted surface the other day and there was certainly at least a clicking noise and feeling - but the car would have just been in 2WD mode then, although it is a 4Motion. I wonder if this is something that front wheel drive cars do and is just picked up being up on the front axle of GLC's?

As a matter of course, I've always avoided tight lock in all cars but especially the MB, wherever possible, preferring to have another shuffle back and forth if necessary

Hi,
I've got exactly the same problem. Had wondered if the tyres were over pressurised and were perhaps just skidding and then gripping being brand new when moving forward on full lock but pressures are ok. For what it's worth mine are 20" wheels so would appear to be happening across the full range of sizes. Would be interested to know how it concludes with your dealer as I was going to give it a few more weeks before popping in.

I did my bit as 'teenager taxi' last night and whilst turning round in the car park (going forwards) my GLC did exactly the same on full lock. Following some of the other feedback on here, I checked my tyre pressures the other day and they're all fine so that can't be the issue. FYI, I also have the 20" wheels but the concern doesn't seem to be limited to larger wheels.

Will be interesting to hear how everyone gets on! :dk:

Well the MB dealer has accepted the rejection of the car and refunded the money of the car. TBH my dad loved the car and the quality. It was just that the dealer striped the front suspension and replaced the wheel bearings and it still had the problem. Then the sales manger came back and said they changed the tyres and said it cured the problem, which was a total bulls*t coming from a sales guy. The Glc (AMG) they lent us had exactly the same problem but had the 20" wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom