Knocking on steering on new GLC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twigs72

Car
vw touran
Just enquiring if anyone has a knocking or a slight jump on the steering on their GLC when it is on full lock and then maneuver? My father had just bought his about three weeks ago and it has been in the garage for two weeks sorting this out and they have taken the suspension apart and reassembled it and changed the wheel bearings and there is still the fault. I am just wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

That is good advice from renault12ts you do not say if this work is being done at Mercedes on a new or nearly new car,but given what has been tried I suspect it is,if you can get a drive in a new one and it does not have the fault then start looking for a replacement from the garage.

Suspensions do funny things when on full lock. This might especially apply if the wheels in question are driven in addition to steering. Could be your father is experiencing a form of tyre scrub where the tyre is fighting against suspension geometry on full lock. As advised its a good idea to see if another one behaves the same way. It must have the same suspension and wheel tyre combo as your Dad's for the test to have validity.

I've owned a few cars that 'jump' when reversing on full lock. Worst was my R8 (Quattro and very large rear tyres didn't help) Almost as bad was my RS4, Cayman also done it but not as bad as the Audi's. There's a technical reason behind it and is deemed normal on many cars, not sure if that is the case for the GLC though. It was always worse in cold weather.

Edit: Google 'Ackerman' steering

Last edited:
I've had similar experiences with my Audi S6 and 911 C4S, both four wheel drive vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom