Knocking/tapping sound on uneven roads (rear centre/right) - W213 E220 CDI

• Thread starter Deleted member 156365
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 156365

Hello everyone,

my dad's 2018 W213 E220d has recently started making a knocking/tapping sound in the rear of the car, more specifically;

- sound is coming somewhere from behind the back seats (between centre and right footwell) and the boot.

We have taken it to a reputable indy mechanic and they checked the shocks and other suspensions parts as well as under carriage inspection (all ok) and they tightened a plastic panel underneath the car suspecting that to be the cause.

However the sound is still there, and I cannot distinguish if it is a metallic sound or plastic against metal sound, the ride quality is fine and the vehicle handles okay.

I'm thinking maybe something between the boot and rear seats has come loose or could it be a mount/ component near the adblue/fuel tank?

If I have no luck with suggestions here, will take to Mercedes (hopefully covered under warranty).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
E220d **

Resolved:

Took it to MB garage and was inspected under warranty, turns out the shock mounts were worn at 40k miles and replaced under warranty.

Hi I have a E350d W213 with a chattering/repetative knocking noise from the offside rear. I got my local mechanic to have a quick look nothing found. Took it to MB dealer they have diagnosed shock absorber internal fault. The car has air suspenion. The workshop manager on his own inititive asked MB to cover it under waranty and got turned down ... 3years old and 27k on the clock.
I am going to ask them to reconsider.
I would have thought they should last for at least 5 years/60k miles. Anyone got some advice to persuade them that they want to cover the replacement?
Oh btw they want to replace both of them £995 + labour. Waiting for them to arrive from Germany atm ... Brexit willing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom