Know your speed limits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Ah, some of the "Casualty Reduction Partnerships" (that is Speed Camera Partnerships to the rest of us) have decided to enforce this with great enthusiasm:

http://www.drivesafely.org/speed/speed-limits/

"As a "rule of thumb" any van larger than a Vauxhall Astravan will have a gross weight in excess of 2 tonnes and is therefore subject to the reduced "class of vehicle" speed limits. Ford Transit, Mercedes Sprinter, Mercedes Vito, Peugeot Expert and Ford Connect, for example, are restricted vans."

Brought about by 'White van man' driving like ****s. They've only got themselves to blame.

We "white van men" have a job to do, just shut up and get out of our way!........... ;-)

Ah, some of the "Casualty Reduction Partnerships" (that is Speed Camera Partnerships to the rest of us) have decided to enforce this with great enthusiasm:

LOL.

Like the national 40 and 50 limits are already enforced for goods vehicles and HGVs on single carriageway trunk roads? As If!

The new generation Sprinters have engines such as 3.0litre 24v V6 Diesel 180+ bhp and 400 N-m Torque.
You'll know about it if one of these is in a hurry.

There is also a 3.5litre 24v V6 250+ bhp and 340 N-M Torque petrol version too! (mostly used by Police and the like).

However IIRC they are all limited to 93mph. So if you can go faster than 93mph you can give the V-Sign to the driver.

Trouble is..... A lot of the vans have the limiter removed or are chipped/re-mapped, so maybe V-Signing is a bad idea after all :D :D :D

Last edited:
Brought about by 'White van man' driving like ****s. They've only got themselves to blame.
I think the privately owned white vans (higher end Sprinters especially) are the ones driven in a more courteous manner and with more restraint.

It's the any driver company vans that are thrashed around and up your ar*e a lot of the time.
My sprinter is reasonably quick for a 20+ footer, but I've had other vans tailgating me when (in the safest conditions) I am tanking along at 85mph. I let 'em past and then wonder how long before they kill themselves or someone else. It's the devil-may-care attitude of some of these guys that gives the white van man a bad name and IS dangerous.

A lot of it is down to the individual drivers. Drivers that red-line their cars drive in exactly the same way in their vans I should think..

LOL.

Like the national 40 and 50 limits are already enforced for goods vehicles and HGVs on single carriageway trunk roads? As If!

They are!

Of all the drivers I know the majority have been prosecuted for speeding on a single carriageway trunk road.

For sure most speed on it as I suppose it's a risk they see they need to take in order to get the job done. We've all sat behind the odd driver at 40 and know how frustrating it gets. Not to mention the dangerous overtaking manouvers that car drivers then start to take.

They are!

Of all the drivers I know the majority have been prosecuted for speeding on a single carriageway trunk road.

For sure most speed on it as I suppose it's a risk they see they need to take in order to get the job done. We've all sat behind the odd driver at 40 and know how frustrating it gets. Not to mention the dangerous overtaking manouvers that car drivers then start to take.
But to be honest, are you happy to be stuck behind HGV's doing the legal 40mph when you can do 60mph. Many accidents are caused by other vehicles trying to overtake where it's unsafe. As a holder of both PCV and HGV licenses i would see this type of driving all the time. What can the HGV driver do, either break the speed limit or pee other drivers off. This is only my opinion and i am not advocating that HGV drivers should exceed the speed limit (as i dont want to be stoned for my opinions).

Does this mean that "gangsta's" in their Land Rover Sports and the like are restricted too? I sincerely hope so!

Does this mean that "gangsta's" in their Land Rover Sports and the like are restricted too? I sincerely hope so!

Don't think so. It says:

Cars and motorcycles (including car derived vans up to 2 tonnes maximum laden weight) .

Unless you think D3, RRS and Rangies are car derived vans.

No, but anything with a Commercial vehicle taxation class is...so all those twin cab pickups will be going mighty slowly now....or......

No, these are cars, not car derived vans.

Lucky too, otherwise my 2 tonne+ s-class would be affected and that would be really silly for a 5L V8, would it not? :D

The new generation Sprinters have engines such as 3.0litre 24v V6 Diesel 180+ bhp and 400 N-m Torque.
You'll know about it if one of these is in a hurry.

And in the Vito the V6 has 204 bhp and 440 Nm :bannana:

No, but anything with a Commercial vehicle taxation class is...

There's no direct link between RFL class and speed limit. My Vito is a "Euro 4 light goods vehicles (TC36)", but it meets the requirements of a "Dual Purpose Vehicle" (second row seats, side and tailgate windows, unladen weight under 2040 kg) so normal car speed limits apply.

I dont think anyone understood my 'joke' :(

No, but anything with a Commercial vehicle taxation class is...so all those twin cab pickups will be going mighty slowly now....or......
My 3.5 tonne Sprinter is PLG road tax £185.00:confused:

But to be honest, are you happy to be stuck behind HGV's doing the legal 40mph when you can do 60mph. Many accidents are caused by other vehicles trying to overtake where it's unsafe. As a holder of both PCV and HGV licenses i would see this type of driving all the time. What can the HGV driver do, either break the speed limit or pee other drivers off. This is only my opinion and i am not advocating that HGV drivers should exceed the speed limit (as i dont want to be stoned for my opinions).

I personally think this is a fair and very valid point. Enforcement of HGV's on single carriageways (de-restricted) is something that needs to be managed in a pragmatic way - taking everything into consideration for route/weather/time of day/traffic flow etc. By and large (and this is MY slant on it) a certain tolerance should be (and in my experience often is) given to HGV's in these circumstances as long as they don't take the proverbial.........say above 50 and there' should be no complaints about getting booked. Apparently this is called discretion (clearly does not apply to fixed camera-sites :D ).

I personally think this is a fair and very valid point. Enforcement of HGV's on single carriageways (de-restricted) is something that needs to be managed in a pragmatic way - taking everything into consideration for route/weather/time of day/traffic flow etc. By and large (and this is MY slant on it) a certain tolerance should be (and in my experience often is) given to HGV's in these circumstances as long as they don't take the proverbial.........say above 50 and there' should be no complaints about getting booked. Apparently this is called discretion (clearly does not apply to fixed camera-sites :D ).

Having driven HGVs for 30 years I think the speed limit should be 50 MPH just think if all HGVs drove at 40 MPH the problems it would cause

Slow down Bill... Slow down:D

Always :)

In fact it's amazingly solid and stable at speed. We did a 300 mile day trip from Leonberg to the Bodensee and back in August - lovely weather, excellent (new) unrestricted autobahn, and very little traffic. 160 kph (100 mph) on the cruise control most of the way there, 175 kph (109 mph) on the way back. We were in convoy with my in-laws in their R171 SLK280 and the big blue bus never ran out of puff. Top speed is 122 mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom