Koenigsegg to buy Saab

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Following on from the Magna to buy Opel story the latest is that supercar manufacturer Koenigsegg (among others) is trying to buy Saab. Jalopnik - Koenigsegg Wants To Buy Saab - Koenigsegg buys Saab This would be a complete change for SAAB and maybe key to survival of the marque. Instead of trying to compete in the executive business saloon mass market maybe its future lies in limited production radical designs. Maybe now we might actually see production of some of SAAB's more radical designs such as the AERO X :thumb:

Last edited:
Good move for both companies I think.

Mind you, that car is not really the sort of joint effort I would like to buy from this partnership.

I know what I'd like to see!

Regards, W.

As long as the warranty of my 2008 9 5 Estate is honored, I will be happy - no problems to date

Koenigsegg to buy Saab!!

Yes, I know it's not MB related, but as a Saab owner, I was elated to read this news just now! Bring on the Aero X!! :)

Sorry, back to MB stuff! :)

Love the 9-3 cab'. Sold mine last year and owned a 9-5 before that. Was all set to buy a 9-5 aero but i prefered the look of the clk.

Ah!! Didn't see that! Sorry guys! :( But, this latest story says they have actually signed the deal... :)

As a one time Saab owner with fond memories I am happy to see them rescued. But Koenigsegg? Why do I feel the deja vu of the Porsche mess and VW?
I am not sure that the Aero X is the answer to solving the bottom line. Even in their home market they are positioned as an also ran. In America it seems they are perceived as a sexy European sports saloon and coupé. Once they have sorted out the managament and financial issues their challenge is to define their market and it is quite tricky considering the upper end is owned by the likes of Audi and BMW and below that you have plenty of supporting actors. Not convinced that this is anything more than some people with wallets and ambition temporarily way ahead of their ability.

My feeling is they have perhaps re-invent the "SAAB buyer" by offering a unique quirky but well engineered product.Saab's strengths in the distant past were aircraft aerodynamics, front wheel drive when it was pretty rare, good attention to safety , a unique propulsion unit, bullet proof build, and an excellent rally competition record. Like the early Volvo's they felt "Scandinavian" and different from most of the major manufacturers of the time and this was also reflected in their above mainstream pricing.

For success Saab need to recapture some of this unique feel and concentrate on smaller niche markets. They tried mixing with the big boys and that didn't work. Unfortunately this may mean they become too expensive for many to purchase but maybe the price of survival. Might have to go back to their aircraft roots and start using lightweight composites, coupled to environmentally friendly power plants ( they have a reasonable track record here) and produce some radically styled/engineered high performance cars for the 21rst century??? Risky strategy I know but the stakes are already pretty high?

Last edited:
Three years ago I said this:
Saabs used to be bought by discerning, intelligent, slightly dull but ultimately harmless people. Courtesy of some big rims and chin spoilers Saabs are now also driven by salesreps. The marque is doomed!
I stand by my comments :)

What is the future for Saab owners - will warranty be covered?
I hope to buy a used rag top at some point and Saab 9-3 is quite high on the list. Would want to be sure that the dealer network remains in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom