Kompressor stopped!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bloody hell, thats bad news.

Is it me, or are there rather a lot of forum members who are having problems? Our cars dont seem to be very reliable:(

Originally posted by Robbo
Bloody hell, thats bad news.

Is it me, or are there rather a lot of forum members who are having problems? Our cars dont seem to be very reliable:(

Taking into consideration how many people are member of this forum I rather expect the incidents of breakages are a small percentage. Just unfortunate that the posts mentioned here are from regular contributors.

Originally posted by GrahamC230K

Please start a collection to pay my bill, I know it's going to be BIG!

Lets hope you sell your house soon Graham.:D :D :D LOL

Originally posted by Dieselman
Graham

I wish we'd had a bit more of a look today as i think there is an answer to your problem.

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4098

Andy is a very knowledgeable man, you should investigate.

Is there anything I can try myself to test if this is the problem (forgive my lack of understanding)?

EDIT:

Just to expand a little...

Yesterday I called TWO parts departments to find out the cost of the Kompressor clutch (making sure they knew SC not AC!!).

Both said all that came up on their computer was a Kompressor Coupling which had a pulley and an electrical connection, fitting my description.

Both dealers said £106.10 +vat. Now either thay have the wrong part, my dealer idea of expensive is different to mine (no, not possible!!) or the part is cheap but needs loads of labour to fit!

I was going to call Ricky (V12) but I would not buy used for a part that is not that muchg new.

Anyway, I have contacts at work (fleet managers for v. large company) who might turn out to very influential at the dealership near work where the car is going, so I am hoping that the car will be given the best attention and "good will" payments made where applicable if this fault is something out of the ordinary or particularly expensive.

Next update Wednesday, unless Deiselman can give me some DIY fault finding instructions!!

Last edited:
Graham,

I'm so sorry to hear about this mate, it seems my car came out in sympathy last Saturday, but seems okay now (damp?). I only wish yours was as easy to solve.

Bet this is the last thing you need mate. Hoping it won't break the bank. :(

ATB,

Greg

OK. The latest.

Car went to Hughes of Aylesbury today. Dropped car off at 07:50 am.

Called at 15:00 to be told car went in to workshop only just before lunch and no news yet.

15:30 - They call to say:

Kompressor control circuit (part of ECU I guess) is showing as faulty due to an incorrect voltage.
However, with Kompressor wire disconnected, it reverts to reading OK. So the tech thinks it may still be the Kompressor Clutch at fault but is not 100% sure.

So they want the car longer and still wont order in ANY parts until they are 100% sure :devil:

Some assertive talk from me (now annoyed but keeping a cool head) seemed to change a courtesy car not being available for at least 2 weeks into "oh I've just realised we have one for you tocollect now if you can insure it"!!!

So car at garage (in many parts with more diagnostic kit connected to it than I knew existed) collecting a world record in labour charges and I am driving a 03 C180 Kompressor Elegance.

It's OK, but automatic (boot it, yawn, make cup of tea, oh kick down) but I am glad I have a car. Shame Insurance company are charging me £70 a week extra to insure it :devil:

Over and out for now.................

Last edited:
I have just called for an update (don't actually trust them to call me).

The update from the top tech is:

"We are not so sure it is the Kompressor clutch at fault now. We aren't really sure. We've taken it off and are just cleaning it and will put it back on to see if it makes a difference".

I voiced my concerns over the increasing amount of labour incrementing and left it at that.

Another day tomorrow!

Shame Insurance company are charging me £70 a week extra to insure it
When i had my courtesy car a A160 Elegance for 2 weeks when my car was in with the rust problem, Road Range Liverpool said either arrange your own insurance or you can have ours for £15, a one of standard fee I think no matter how long you have the car.
I took theirs but they forgot to charge me the £15 - LOL :p They checked my driving license when I picked the car up, I was expecting them to ask for the £15 when I got my car back but they never :p

I cant believe £70 per week for insurance on the loaner.

My insurance company doesn't charge for loan car insurance and issues a cover-note straight to the dealer no problems. They also "quote me happy"...seriously they were very nearly the cheapest with a bit of haggling, but appear to have the best Ts &Cs and the lowest excess.

Originally posted by Dieselman
I cant believe £70 per week for insurance on the loaner.

My insurance company doesn't charge for loan car insurance and issues a cover-note straight to the dealer no problems. They also "quote me happy"...seriously they were very nearly the cheapest with a bit of haggling, but appear to have the best Ts &Cs and the lowest excess.

They did fax a cover note immediately to the dealer - after I paid!

Although not pleased about it from there point of view, a 25 year old wants to use a car worth about £12K more than the one he already has - you can see why a charge is applicable.

I'll be annoyed if MB drag it out for another week though :mad:

Dealer has just called me (shock!).

They have had the Kompressor Clutch off the car. It has been cleaned up, although it had very little debree build up.

They are refitting now and having checked and remade all connections on the related loom and will be giving it a go shortly. They seem to think there is a small chance it may work but are not hopefull.

The new plan is to order a loan ECU for my car. This will take two days, so is expected Tuesday 11th. They can then fit to my car. If it does not solve problem, it can be returned to MB with no charge. If it does resolve the issue, the ECU is mine if I want it.

So, any idea how much an ECU is?

No I did not ask as I don't want to raise any talk of the Bill with the dealer until the saga is over.

Have to learn to live with this W203 C180K for a bit longer it seems. Oh, there is a up side - the Windscreen wipers work without smearing on the W203.

....don't know exactly how much an ECU is, but I would suspect its not the cheapest part that can fail !! £500 ?

When they say "it's yours if you want it" . . are they implying that it will be an exchange, or that you will have to pay for it (or am I just being completely unrealistic by even asking this question !!)

S.

Graham, smearing single wiper syndrome on my e Class was cured by using MBs own screenwash.

Now doesn't smear at all.

Keeping my fingers crossed for ya fella. :)

Originally posted by sym

When they say "it's yours if you want it" . . are they implying that it will be an exchange, or that you will have to pay for it
S.

That's my phrase not theirs!

Just saying it's a "loan" but it's actually a purchasable part and they can fit permanently for me if it works.

I imagine however it is possibly a refurbed unit and that it is an exchange only deal.

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
So, any idea how much an ECU is?
:crazy: Not wishing to rain on your parade but they ain't cheap. :( An ex-colleague had an ECU fail on his R reg Ford Fiesta, £700 to replace, I think they contributed some of the price as a good will gesture. They will certainly want the old one to autopsy to death to investigate why it failed.

Here's hoping a clutch clean up solves all your Kompressor problems *fingers crossed*

P.S. At least your dealer phoned you back, I'm still waiting for them to get back to me with the price of a 'pedal value sensor'. Then they wonder why people moan about their customer service :mad:

S.

Most MB ecu's are over 1000 from the dealer im afraid to say. My uncle had to replace it on his c200 a couple years ago, the total bill was about 1700 quid...
I know you can get them cheaper, but i dont know where. Second hand is almost impossible.

Jay

uh oh! :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom