Kompressor stopped!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Had a bit of a worrying experience this morning.

For about 30 minutes I had the"dirty" feeling of having an overbadged car (sorry Fuzzer). I say this as for the said 20-30 minutes my Kompressor badge was surplus to requirements!!!

I started car and all was fine. A while later when car was warmed up, I found myself at a set of lights next to a sports motorbike. I couldn't resist and played the trick of lets suprise the bike rider when he checks his mirror and I'm still right behind him. Hence I gave the car a bit of welly.

Next set of lights, I pull away and thought I had the handbrake on. Comparative massive loss of power. So sluggish. My heart sank as I thought my MAS had gone again.

Then I realise the car was pulling smooth, no misfire, not hesistant, just sluggish. Then it hit me. I had the windows open and where was the trademark whine of my supercharger? Not there was the answer. I pulled into a car park, popped the bonnet and was suprissed to see all the belts still in place and moving. Now I'm thinking I've killed the Kompressor - DOH!

Whilst driving back towards home thinking of the cost of a new Kompressor or an uprated Supercharger ;) I pulled over to see the opening times at a local dealer - thinking maybe one of the sales staff may have some idea to help me.

They were not open - but this time I had stopped the engine. On the restart I pulled away heavy footed in 1st and nearly gave myself whiplash. Kompressor back in action and whining happily. Sweet music to my ears.

Just done 100 miles and it's fine, pulls hard as ever. Stopped and restarted a few times no probs.

I tell you, being demoted to 150BHP or whatever a standard C230 non-kompressor has it not fun. Felt so slow!! That's being spoilt as when I had my 136BHP C200 it did not feel that bad. I had to keep changing gear - as opposed to anyone will do as it pulls in them all!

However, it was fun, as for a good few miles I had the car without the kompressor running it sounded so different. Underneath the noise of the kompressor is a nice sounding 2.3 litre engine with quite a raspy exhaust note.

So. Those still reading.

I guess the clutch never engaged the Kompressor.

How worried would you be?

Anyone ever have this?

Do you think it went into somesort of shutdown mode as I over did it chasing the bike?

Are Kompressor faults logged - ie is it worth me getting charged to have the diags read at a stealer?

Last edited:
Not having a blower, I'm afraid I can't answer your questions. I would guess all faults are logged and that would include your Kompressor. Just keep an eye/ear out and see how it goes. As you say the clutch maybe sticking? Are there any scenarios programmed into the ECU where if you hoof the throttle it'll deliberately not engage Kompressor, e.g. if engine temp is too hot or air temp? I dunno, just clutching at straws and brain-storming.

There's always something isn't there? You just get the car running sweetly when something else comes around the corner so to speak. For me yesterday it was the fuel gauge... I knew the tank was full (filled previous day) yet dash indicator was at 3/4 and very slowly rising. Stopped car, got out opened petrol cap, opened boot and shook the rear of the car as hard as I could... Car is now normal again, yet it's another thing for me to keep a beady eye on.

Let us know how you get on G., here's hoping it's a minor technical gremlin/glitch that won't happen again, heh although I'll bet you'll be keeping an eye out for it now.

S.

I think I'll go see the dealer for some advice on Monday.

Although coincidental, I normally drive the car enthusiastically and I didn't even hit the rev limiter or anything on this occassion (not something I make a habbit of - but has occurred on rare occasion).

Hopefully just one of those things as you say......but I sure noticed when it happened, so it wont go un-noticed!!

Graham,

You will really have to choose a 'sports motorcycle' for you to stay with it for more than 10 metres.
I haven't ridden any small bikes for years...250s etc but would be surprised if they had a problem blowing you off up to 100mph.
My bike is agricultural but cars don't bother it.

Bob

Originally posted by Motard
Graham,

You will really have to choose a 'sports motorcycle' for you to stay with it for more than 10 metres.
I haven't ridden any small bikes for years...250s etc but would be surprised if they had a problem blowing you off up to 100mph.
My bike is agricultural but cars don't bother it.

Bob

I am under no illusion Bob. Don't insult my intelligence ;)

However, these bikes usually pull away briskly, but obviously not flat out. I like to play occasionally as when they see you behind they then normally totally let rip and blow you away. A kind of sport :D

The point was to explain the run up to my engine problem, this is not a Road Wins post.

Last edited:
Originally posted by GrahamC230K
I tell you, being demoted to 150BHP or whatever a standard C230 non-kompressor has it not fun. Felt so slow!! That's being spoilt as when I had my 136BHP C200 it did not feel that bad. I had to keep changing gear - as opposed to anyone will do as it pulls in them all!
Nowhere near 150bhp Graham, the NA C230 at least has a nice way for the air to get into the engine, without the kompressor working the C230k engine has to drag the air through a really convoluted set of pipes and a non-moving blower etc, totally gutless without it! :(
The operation of the magnetic clutch is a function of the ECU, so if it's made a mistake it might have been logged somewhere. Scary stuff though! I was told by the stealership that they've only seen 4 failed kompressors on the C230k, 3 of them were brand new cars that hadn't been sold yet and one was about a year old and had about 30k miles on it, was a manual model that the owner thrashed, meaning track-days and double-declutching etc. Usually very reliable units, apparently :)

Re: Re: Kompressor stopped!!!!

Hmm, yes, it was a bit strangled!!!

Originally posted by Shude
I was told by the stealership that they've only seen 4 failed kompressors on the C230k, ....... one was about a year old and had about 30k miles on it, was a manual model that the owner thrashed, meaning track-days and double-declutching etc. Usually very reliable units, apparently :)

Doesn't sound like mine. :eek:

Me keeps fingers crossed!!

Cost of a new Kompressor??

Last edited:
[
I started car and all was fine. A while later when car was warmed up, I found myself at a set of lights next to a sports motorbike. I couldn't resist and played the trick of lets suprise the bike rider when he checks his mirror and I'm still right behind him. Hence I gave the car a bit of welly.

Graham,
Sorry if you thought I was insulting your intelligence, it wasn't my intent. As a motorcyclist I thought it slightly ridiculous that you would still be right behind him, your words.
For sure you wouldn't be right behind me.
Rather than get into a slanging match I suggest we leave it until you pass by here sometime, we could then discuss it over three or four bottles by the end of which we wouldn't give a sh1t anyway. Let you have a go on the bike also!

Bob

No worries Bob. It only works if the Biker DOESN'T know its a race LOL

Don't do bikes personally. Too scarey.

Back on topic:

Does anyone know the MB Superchargers in any detail?

Is the clutch a seperate part?

It works well enough when it's engaged!

I pray I dont need a new one. I reckon a turbo would be cheaper.....

Last edited:
I was under the impression a supercharger is running all the time,from tickover upwards.What is the function of the electro-clutch?

Originally posted by esox
I was under the impression a supercharger is running all the time,from tickover upwards.What is the function of the electro-clutch?
Stops it from turning when the engine is only idling :)

Back on topic:

Does anyone know the MB Superchargers in any detail?

Is the clutch a seperate part?

It works well enough when it's engaged!

I pray I dont need a new one. I reckon a turbo would be cheaper.....
The 'Ogura clutch' is used by AMG on the superchargers/kompressors of their C32 & SL55. Think it might be the same for the C230K ?
Stops it from turning when the engine is only idling :)
To add a little more detail, the clutch disengages the blower at really low revs to save fuel and also extend the life of the supercharger since it's no longer working all the time :)

S.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Steve_Perry
To add a little more detail, the clutch disengages the blower at really low revs to save fuel and also extend the life of the supercharger since it's no longer working all the time :)

S.

Maybe my ECU knows something I don't!!

MB's advice?

See how it goes!! "It was probably an electrical glitch, so something went out of tolerance and it shutdown".

If it happens again then it will probably continue to do so, so bring it in, if not dont worry!

See how it goes!! "It was probably an electrical glitch, so something went out of tolerance and it shutdown".
It'll be the brand new, super-efficient MAS putting the rest of the engine to shame ;)

It'll be the brand new, super-efficient MAS putting the rest of the engine to shame ;)

I did think something along those lines!! It goes so bl***y well now, I think it got a bit carried away.

ive just had a look at my car and i cant really see any evidence of a clutch on the blower pulley.certainly nothing on the scale of the one on the air-con compressor.it just looks like a normal pulley which is directly connected to the spindle of the supercharger.is it internal or something?

Originally posted by esox
ive just had a look at my car and i cant really see any evidence of a clutch on the blower pulley.certainly nothing on the scale of the one on the air-con compressor.it just looks like a normal pulley which is directly connected to the spindle of the supercharger.is it internal or something?

I guess so. I not mechanical though!

Blip you throttle in neutral from about 1500 +/- you can hear it cutting in and out.

I am using my friends PC and his mouse has too many buttons and I keep loosing my post!!!!

So short version:

Kompressor not working again. Restart not fixing this time.

Stealer has checked - not my MAS - diags say Kompressor clutch knackered.

Might be electrical or the actual clutch. Booked in next Weds to find out.

Please start a collection to pay my bill, I know it's going to be BIG!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom