Koni FSDs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kakahara

Car
W209, R129
I'm looking to get new shocks for my 04 CLK320 and the Koni FSDs seem like they are the ones to go for.

My car is an avantgarde but I can't tell whether the suspension is lowered from factory or if that option was deleted. (VIN available if someone can decode it fully.) The front sits very high now with about 2 inches of air between tyre and edge of wheel well. This makes me think the shocks are gone and hence the opening line.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience/insights/tips/suggestions with the Koni FSDs they can share with me/us/the internet as information on the FSDs on a Mercedes is quite limited.

TIA!

My only comment would be that FSD [ Frequency Selective Damping] are a type of automatically adjusting damper similar to the type fitted to the W204 C class which MB calls Agility Control. Personally I don't think these work as well as the fully automated suspension systems which use lots of sensors in addition to electrically control of damper rates. I would take a close look at Bilsteins adjustable products- not the cheaper Dampmatic= fsd type but something like the B16 or Ride Control systems

http://www.bilstein.de/en/products/sport-and-threaded-ride-high-adjustable-kits/bilstein-b10.html

Indeed! I have looked at the bilstein HDs (which I understand are similar to the oem solution on the CLK55) and the PSS9 coilovers. Plenty of good feedback on both over on MBWorld so I don't really want/need to investigate the billies over here. I was just wondering if anyone had actually run the FSDs on a CLK. :dk:

dampers do not affect ride height (coilovers ingored) so look elsewhere.

Precisely so, springs (which are the shock absorbers) affect ride height, this is a popular misconception.

Hi,
I ran these on my "better half" S203. They where perfect when new, BUT they stop working correctly and turn into "boat" asborbers quite quickly. This also happened on my old Seat Leon which ran them for about the same time period. In both cars they lasted all of 47,000-50,000km (horible last 5k).
The OE sport shocks on my w203 are still running after 140000km (mind you they are on there way out).

I really love the idea and they do work as stated, but only during a very sort time period. If your a low mileage driver then you'll be fine. We're not :doh:
Wife does around 50k/yr and I do 80k/yr so out of question for me.
Edit:
Forgot to mention that the shocks/spring seem to respond sluggishly when running a heavier 18" wheel (compared to standard 17"). Not sure if it's spring or dampers fault.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks very much for the feedback. I think yours is one of the very few long-term reviews on the FSDs on the internet.

I noticed Koni have a lifetime warranty on these... Did that help at all or is regular use excluded?
I know on the yellow adjustable Koni Sports the warranty is 3years but with unlimited miles/km.
Saying that, not sure about any exclusions on that warranty either.

Can I also ask what you replaced the FSDs with afterwards?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Local Koni distrib didn't offer me a full replacement at the time. Considered normal wear and tear but did offered 40% discount on a replacement pair of FSD. They where eventually replaced with the yellow koni's with a 30% discount.
On smooth highway would rate them equally. Nice taught feel and good reaction to driver input. On the rougher stuff including expansion joints, you can feel the thud going through the steering. Definitely not as smooth at soaking up the rough stuff. Have covered 70,000km though and still handle like new.
Haven't touched the adjustment knob either, left at fully open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom