koni sport or vogtland?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

astamir

MB Enthusiast
Car
w208 silver clk55
Hi guys
I was going to buy a bilstein b8 suspension shock absorbers to fit on my clk55 with ebach springs but the seller for some reason couldnt ship it here and got refund.
Now I have to options available koni yellow sports with eibach springs or a full set springs and absorbers of vogtland.
A bit of help in advice needed guys as Ive never had any of them fitted before.
What option shall I go for?
Thanks in advance.

the koni shocks are only rated for a 35mm drop, how much do you want to lower the car by?

do you have your own eibach springs or do they come in a kit with koni package?

what brand of shox does vogtland use?

i would go with koni shox paired with vogtland springs, you can set the stiffness the way you want

Last edited:
do you have your own eibach springs or do they come in a kit with koni package?

what brand of shox does vogtland use?

i would go with koni shox paired with vogtland springs, you can set the stiffness the way you want

Ive got my own springs already bought here from a forum member.
So do you think the koni with eibach would be better then the full set of vogtlands?
From where Im going to buy them the price for the konis shocks and the vogtlands full set is the same just a £10-15 difference.
The seller was suggesting to go for vogtland full set.
Whats your thoughts guys?
Thanks

if it's the same price between vogtland full kit and only buying 4 koni shox.
then i'd go with vogtland springs/shox combo, you get all brand new components.

i'm biased for koni/vogtland as i have this on my car.

where is the vogtland link?
are you sure it's for clk55?

if it's the same price between vogtland full kit and only buying 4 koni shox.
then i'd go with vogtland springs/shox combo, you get all brand new components.

i'm biased for koni/vogtland as i have this on my car.

where is the vogtland link?
are you sure it's for clk55?

The vogtlands and konis are from germany online tuning parts shop.
Dont have the link at the moment will post it later.
I fitted the eibachs at the rear and left the stock springs at the front with thinnest rubber pads that the body would be low with front and back at the same level.
Was going to order a konis from that shop and saw a full set of vogtlands almost for the same price.
Explained to seller where I am at the moment he suggested to go for full set of vogtlands.
As Ive never heard of them thought beter to do a bit of research and then decide.

I will ask the seller if the vogtlands adjustable or not if not I will go for konis.

A bit of review I guess after a year of driving on koni yellows and eibach springs without any rubber pads in one word STIFF)))
Stiff but great cornering I don't feel any side leaning and the road handling feeling is better.
I'm just wondering if I would go with b8's and h&r would I get the same handling but with more comfortable ride or if I put the rubbers back on would it make the ride more comfortable?

A bit of review I guess after a year of driving on koni yellows and eibach springs without any rubber pads in one word STIFF)))
Stiff but great cornering I don't feel any side leaning and the road handling feeling is better.
I'm just wondering if I would go with b8's and h&r would I get the same handling but with more comfortable ride or if I put the rubbers back on would it make the ride more comfortable?

Koni yellows are adjustable, have you tried softening the settings? You can make the car ride more comfortably at the expense of the handling, it's a happy balance between the two, not both.

If you want a softer ride fit a set of stock r129 500sl springs, then adjust the koni's to suit.

Hi

I haven't posted for about a 1000 years, so here goes my 2p worth of what I think.

you dont need to use B8 shocks if you are only looking for approx 35mm lowering,you can use the B6 shocks, both shocks share the same valving so no changes in performance.

B8 shocks are designed for 40mm plus lowering, its fitted with a shorter piston, so you are loosing some suspension travel = less comfort but puts a cheeky smile on your face when cornering.
B8's also require fine tuning with springs in terms of ride height, otherwise you are loosing shock damping travel so its best to get the whole lot,shocks and springs as manufactured by customer, no spring mixing unless you are prepared to install and remove **** loads of springs until you find the right set.

oh before I forget, no rubbers??? c'mon now, put those rubbers back where they belong..lol

most off the shelve springs including H&R are only approx 15-20% stiffer compared to OEM springs so its not a huge amount.

As Simon (Carat 3.6) mentioned, you could try R129 springs, they are excellent but be aware, they are stiffer than they look, they are the hardest OEM springs, I tested some and they are in the high 70's N/mm spring rate, I reckon you would have to chop some coils off to get the ride height you want.

AS Simon said, "You can make the car ride more comfortably at the expense of the handling, it's a happy balance between the two, not both."

Koni yellows are not built for comfort, they are already stiff by nature on zero setting.turn it all the way down, see if that makes the ride a bit softer.

what spring drop are you using at the moment????

have a good motoring
mazza

Just checked with the old advert of the member here I bought the springs from its says 45mm drop for the front and 35mm for the back, I tried to turn it to the softer point.
I'm just wondering if I put the thickest rubber pads and put 18" wheels with higher tyres instead of 19" with low tyres wouldn't that give me a little bit softness back?)))

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members-gallery/61288-my-first-mb-w208-clk-320-a.html

I tired a couple of sets of 19's and settled on 18's
IMHO you wont get a W208 riding nice on 19's it will always be a bit harsh

I've done a lot of changes on my w208 click above to see some old pics

Eibach Lowering springs. Not the really low ones 35mm IIRC
Bilstein B8
Eibach anti roll bars
Rubber pads no2 Front and no3 rear (now)

AMG W220 18x8.5 8mm spacers 225/40/18 special bolts
AMG W220/R129 18x9.5 15mm spacers 255/35/18 special bolts

***edit In the pic no3 Pads all round

I think I bought a clk55 AMG backbox from you btw

Last edited:
Just checked with the old advert of the member here I bought the springs from its says 45mm drop for the front and 35mm for the back, I tried to turn it to the softer point.
I'm just wondering if I put the thickest rubber pads and put 18" wheels with higher tyres instead of 19" with low tyres wouldn't that give me a little bit softness back?)))

what tyre profile do you have on 19's??

This is an extract from an article written by an automotive engineer, your answer is here.

"TYRES AND RIDE COMFORT

Between the road and the driver there are three effective ‘springs’ in a car – the tyres, the suspension and the seat cushion. These elements combine to make up the car’s measurable spring rate. As Gambold explained, when the tyre profile goes down, the spring rate of the tyre goes up drastically.

“We talk about the spring rate of the tyre being about ten times the spring rate of the suspension. If you go from a reasonably normal profile tyre like a 65 or 70 series, down to a 55 or 45 profile tyre there’s a huge change in the spring rate and that’s what most people feel; the low profile tyre ride is harder. As the spring rate goes down the ability of the tyre to envelope and cushion bumps and resist impact damage reduces.” he said.

The challenge for manufacturers is to find that balance between the amount of grip that’s needed, and maintaining ride comfort.

“In the quest to have better lateral performance or cornering power and cornering grip, you’re reducing the spring. So the cornering power goes up in a low profile tyre but the vertical spring rate or the cushioning or the ride comfort, goes down,” Gambold said.

mazza

astamir don't you like your Koni's?
we all like different things.
it's always a trial 'n' error testing stuff what's good or bad for your car and your likings.

I hope I didn't mislead you into buying Konis's?
how are your roads in the UK?
streets full of potholes and speedbumps will give you a harsh ride.

I still love my setup and will always buy this combo Vogtland and Koni's when it's time for re-newal in 50 years or so?? :rock: :D

why didn't you put on spring pads on your car?
I bet you lost some driving comfort not using these rubbers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom