Korrosol,iron x

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Myclk55amg

Car
Mercedes clk 55 amg
I have a bit of a dilemma, I really want to try clay baring my car as I have never done it before but a friend off mine says it's long boring job. Then I've been told about korrosol and iron x just wondered if any of you guys had used either and what your opinion was?

Iron X is great for getting rid of metallic dust, normally from brake pads, by all means give the paintwork a dose of that first - then us a Bilt Hamber clay bar to collect the rest of the muck! What Iron X will not remove is the tar spots - especially on the wheels. You need Tardis or something similar for that.

I used both, Being a Sprayed the Korrosol can get under the door mirrors and in gaps a clay cant reach.

The best results come from all the preparation, Put the effort in and it will pay dividends.

Its like anything else in life, you have to put the hard work in first to get the results i am afraid.
It should take you around 2 hours to clay your car, all depends on the depth of contamination and size of car obviously.
I cannot stress this enough, do not rush the " de-contamination " stage of your paintwork.
After washing the car apply the Korrosol, Iron X or Red 7, follow the instructions carfully then rinse / wash off.
Now close your eyes and feel the paint with your finger tips, some pro detailers like to wear nitrile gloves as it snags on the slightest particles left in the paint.
If the paint still doesnt feel silky smooth it will need claying. A medium abrasive clay bar should suffice at this stage, but it really does depend on the condition of your paint, its usually the lower panels that are the worst as they are subjected to most road fallout.

PS Red 7 for me. Dependent on what you use, allways follow the instructions and dont get it on your cloths as it stinks like hell.

A time saving tip is to wash your car first, as normal, dont dry it and dont bother wiping off the clay bar streaks as you go, just wash the car again when you've finished.

Anything up to a C-Class should be done in an hour, I've just seen too many people pussy footing about with a tiny piece of clay - get stuck in and crack on!

- wash you car with a good shampoo
- go get the meguires claybar kit
- do a panel at a time, side to side action and use the spray to lube the surface, its pretty easy, you can feel the difference.
- then use autogylm super resin polish
- finish off with autogym super gloss protection.

this is the most simplest and most effective combination without breaking the bank.

Clay baring is unbelievably satisfying once its done... no matter how long it takes...SRP (then poorboys black hole after for me) then 2 coats of wax..... then spend your life wanting to wash it all the time because its got the slightest bit of muck on it :D:D:D

I'd recommend BH regular clay and a clean bucket of your nomal wash washer with shampoo of your choice

Claying is just part of the process, IronX etc still has its place - mainly for wheels, probably a more useful product for the bodywork before claying would be Tardis or similar to soften the tar to aide removal

If you run out of time, clay the other half of the car next week. It's a satisfying and therapeutic job - If you get some clay and after washing the car, just do one panel - bet you don't stop 'till all the cars done ;)

:)

Last edited:
It's after clay that the fun starts - as I found out with my 968 coupe!! I did just the front OS wing, then used a small 12V poilsher I had, with some paint correction fluid. The effect was so startlingly good I've ended up with a DAS6 DA polisher and a selection of paint correction and polishing fluids, as well as waxes, daren't think of what the whole olt cost. However, my 968 when I finished the job looked as if she's just come out of the showroom brand new, and the finish lasted for ages and helped when I sold her a few years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom