Kumho or Falken?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lockking

Car
W208 CLK320 Cab/Jaguar 3.0 S Type/W208 CLK 430 Cab
Hi all, would like to hear your views on Kumhos & Falken on a CLK w208 Cab. Need to replace fronts soon and am after a tyre thats not prone to tramlining. Ones I have on at the moment which are some old budget tyres that were on when we got the car are really bad for wondering on uneven surfaces and even on motorways you seem to be trying to keep it in a straight line. The load rating is 94 and Im wondering if 91 rated tyres would be any better. The cars on 17" AMG staggered. Any advice would be most welcome. Cheers Lockking.

Depends on your type of mileage. IMHO Kumho for mainly motorway high speed work, Falken for urban, b road, . I have had both on my W208 coupe and nothing wrong with either but I felt the car had better grip and was more stable at speed with the Kumho

i would personally go for kuhmo . but for a few quid extra id have hankook the done really well in the last evo tyre test and finished above the p-zero in most cats.

Kumho - I had to sets in my cars before and they where great.

I have falken on a few of my cars but for some reason the tread pattern looks better on low profile tyres, I dont like larger profile falkens...

Last edited:
Even though Kumho sounds like a korean prostitue, they do work well. Only problem I've had is in greasy conditions, my MR2 turbo span it's wheels at 70mph, straight line in 3rd gear. In full wet conditions they move the water quite well.

I may try them on the CLK next time..

Kumho ku31 are well regarded by BMW M5 owners , and are often referred to as similar in character to michelins. Latest evo test said they were better than anything from china but they came 8th of 8 tyres, tested in 235/35/19 size. Hankooks are factory fit on VW golf, Audi a3 and ford focus but their prices aren't much behind the top priced Tyres. Fallen ziex ze912 in 94 W 225/45/17 are currently £76 each fitted via blackcircles and seem to get good user reviews and are apparently a quiet tyre.

Switched from Michelin Pilot Sport to Falkens a couple of months ago and have been pleased with them so far.

Tyre choice

I'm curently looking to change from Goodyear GSD3 and the Uniroyal Rainsport 2 comes highly recommended on the tyre review websites particularly for wet weather grip. I've been quoted a price not much more than Kumhos, if that's any help.

Got FK 912's on the A class , and 452's on the CLK.

AFAIK the 912's are a slightly less high performance tyre than the 452.

Falken are a "fire and forget" type of sale, so i would say a well respected all rounder. I have Kumho on the rear of my Lotus and they have caught me out a few times in damp conditions.

Falken are a "fire and forget" type of sale, so i would say a well respected all rounder. I have Kumho on the rear of my Lotus and they have caught me out a few times in damp conditions.

Yep, that's the only weakness I found with the Kumho's, in greasy conditions (not wet)

Got FK 912's on the A class , and 452's on the CLK.

AFAIK the 912's are a slightly less high performance tyre than the 452.

Whilst not often cited as all season tyres, the ZE912 are a more year round compound, so ultimately will fall short in hot dry summer weather when driven hard compared to the FK-452. In cold, frosty or even light snow the Ze912 have more ability than the FK-452, but are still no match for a true winter tyre in slush and snow.

Car manufacturuers should fit all season tyres for UK sales, but they won't because they know the motoring press like to tell readers how good or bad a car is at the limit of adhesion, even when 90% of owners will never get anywhere near it.

I've had 912's on for the past 16 months....no problems whatsoever.

The wagon got a bit twitchy recently in the rain, checked the tyres and decided to replace with 912's all round as I still havn't sorted out a new set of rims and the local indie had them on cheeps.

Finally managed to get some real miles on them over the weekend and they are much better than the 4 random mismatches that the car came with. Of course the weather has been brilliant since then, but it is nice to know they wont cause too many brown trouser moments when the UK weather reasserts itself and we go back to the regularly scheduled drizzle.

Last edited:

I'd go with wheels-inmotion ;)

He does know what he is talking about :D

UK Tyres Online Cheap Car Tyres Shop | Blackboots Wheels in Motion

And if it's Tony that posted it, then he definitely knows what he is talking about - he sorted a couple of cars for me a few years ago. Thanks Tony :thumb:

Just replaced my old Pirelli P6000s with Falken 912s.

The difference in terms of tyre noise is vast. I didn't realise just how noisy the P6000s were thinking that it was just a characteristic of the car. With the Falkens on I can actually hear the engine at motorway speeds (!) and be able to have a conversation with passengers without having to raise my voice.

So far I'm very impressed with the 912s considering the price of the tyres.

I certainly won't be touching those awful P6000s again.

Just replaced my old Pirelli P6000s with Falken 912s.

The difference in terms of tyre noise is vast. I didn't realise just how noisy the P6000s were thinking that it was just a characteristic of the car. With the Falkens on I can actually hear the engine at motorway speeds (!) and be able to have a conversation with passengers without having to raise my voice.

So far I'm very impressed with the 912s considering the price of the tyres.

I certainly won't be touching those awful P6000s again.

You've made my day - yesterday ordered a pair of ZE912s for the front of my Golf TDI, to replace the Bridgestone RE050s. One thing i was very conscious of was tyre noise, as the latest Golf is very quiet ( thicker glass in the windscreen, double door seals etc). P6000s i'd consider middle of the road for noise so looks like my choice of ZE912 should be a good one :thumb:

Just ordered a set of Kumho 235/50/17 M&S for the Jaguar in preparation for the winter onslaught. The reports seem to rate them quite highly compared with the so-called "approved" Pirelli PZero.
The clincher of course was the price £358 for 4 compared with nearly £800 for the P's. Ordered from MyTyres.co.uk.
Last winter the Jag was undriveable on summer boots.

The SL is snugly put away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom