Kwik Fit and their tricks ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

npuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
A180 CDI Avantgarde SE (2008)
On BBC1 now. Will be on iplayer later.

Watching it now, against my better judgement. Had to chuckle at the earlier item on fuel economy, where Mr Campbell somehow managed to keep a straight face while explaining to his faux-concerned co-presenters that a year's fuel would cost between £400 and £550 more than they'd budgeted for on the basis of the official fuel consumption figures. Has anyone ever used the official figures to calculate a budget for fuel?

I've used them to re-seal a tyre and a few MOTs & Air-con recharges, no problems and no made up faults found.

Free brake and tyre check ups is the perfect vehicle to con people in my opinion

I don't know why people get hung up about kwik-fit being out to con everyone, and their work being shoddy? It's just blokes (and girls) working there... No different to a mech or tech at any other garage??? It's still all humans doing the work. Some humans are better at their jobs than others, and all humans make mistakes, some humans are good at dealing with the fallout, others are not.

I don't know why people get hung up about kwik-fit being out to con everyone, and their work being shoddy? It's just blokes (and girls) working there... No different to a mech or tech at any other garage??? It's still all humans doing the work. Some humans are better at their jobs than others, and all humans make mistakes, some humans are good at dealing with the fallout, others are not.

Yes it varies, but with Kwik Fit wildly.

Did an OK job fitting new exhaust to No.1 son car but whilst I was waiting watched horrified as they "fitted" new front shocks to some poor saps car.

Spring compressors? Oh no. Just belted the lower suspension arm with a large hammer until it came free, then reversed the procedure.

My Merc is leased, have to use Twit-Fit for tyres, no choice. I watch them like a hawk though!!!

As others said... there are some good ones and some bad ones.

Though it would have been nice if they standardised quality control across all branches (bringing them all up to the highest mark that is).

As for the free checks... I have used these a few times at KwikFit, National, and ATS, and it all cases it was indeed free and the mechanics did not try to sell me anything the car did not need.

The difference is that employees at these type of places are under pressure to find additonal work. The fitters are bonused for this, and the managers get fired if they don't meet head office targets.

Who actually shops at Kwik Fit?

I might use their air con service ; besides that I have on occasion bought tyres from them if , after shopping around , they work out cheapest for the specific tyres I want .

As others said... there are some good ones and some bad ones.

Though it would have been nice if they standardised quality control across all branches (bringing them all up to the highest mark that is).

As for the free checks... I have used these a few times at KwikFit, National, and ATS, and it all cases it was indeed free and the mechanics did not try to sell me anything the car did not need.

I rather suspect they will size up customers as they come in : if it is someone who seems quite mechanically clued up they will probably not try anything on , but the little old lady or harassed housewife who hasn't a clue are probably the most likely targets .

I don't know if it is the nature of modern cars where so much is unserviceable because it is electronic or the modern generation,or that by and large cars are so reliable compared with 30 years ago,but it seems to me that the vast majority of drivers under 40 have no idea what is under the bonnet,not a clue as how to do the most simple checks and think the Otto Cycle is a off road push bike!
Talk about a black box generation and that is just the garage mechanics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom