kwik fit oil change warning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philepo

Car
C270 CDI (2004 w203)
Just a quick cautionary note.:rolleyes:

Just had some tyres change this morning. Thought I'd throw in an oil change as it's due and at 35 quid it's cheaper than buying the stuff myself.

After 1.5 hrs wait went out to garage to see what the delay was. There were 3 guys stood round the engine, one with a monkey wrench (seriously).

They didn't have the right tool to get the filter off.:confused:

Finally got car. Filled up with petrol, decided to check oil level (low but within spec) and engine is covered in oil drips and the under tray is missing. :wallbash:

WTF!!! :doh:

Going back later to get it sorted. Tho they were not keen on my request for a refund. Utter t**** :eek:

You could have come round to me, I would have done you an oil change for 25 quid including the oil and filter............... :devil::devil:

And I have the correct tool for taking the filter off and torquing it down correctly.

You could have come round to me, I would have done you an oil change for 25 quid including the oil and filter............... :devil::devil:

And I have the correct tool for taking the filter off and torquing it down correctly.
It wont be the first or last horror story ive heard about them. I know somebody who went for a oil & filter change, they let an apprentice loose on it who filled the oil right up to the rocker cover:eek:, then he started it up and the engine went bang, Thick fit ended up sending the car to ford for a brand new engine to be fitted for £4,500 quid.

You can't get better than a thick twit fitter were the guys that made your engine bust.

Last edited:
I got my oil changed by Kwik-Fit last May, good price...no problems at all.

Just thinking of going to Kwik Fit for two Michelin PS3s as my research shows they are far and away the cheapest (at £162 each). I wonder if I dare!!:(

Going back later to get it sorted. Tho they were not keen on my request for a refund. Utter t**** :eek:

Last guy that used them on here for an oil change had his ATF drained by a litre before they discovered they were draining the wrong oil.

Russ

Thanks guys for the info...Was thinking if I should take my car for brake fluid change to thick fit..now i know. I will go to them for new tyres though. They are significantly cheaper when it comes to new tyres. Last time I bought a full set online and gave me an appointment days after on the website. Gave a call to the shop and they put the tyres on right away for me. Halfrauds is another shop I would be aware of. Good to buy some handy tools and batteries cheaper..but dont touch my car! NHS Staff get a 7.5% off at halfrauds....

Last guy that used them on here for an oil change had his ATF drained by a litre before they discovered they were draining the wrong oil.

Russ

erm that was never actually proven as far as I saw... It was never clear whether the car was simply low on ATF prior to going in for its oil change.

erm that was never actually proven as far as I saw... It was never clear whether the car was simply low on ATF prior to going in for its oil change.

...and whatever happened, K-F came through and put everything right without charge.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

They fitted the wrong exhaust system to my Volvo245 estate.
No, the saloon version does not fit right, it hits the fuel tank, doh!

Anybody can do an oil change, even people on this forum. You got a monkey, that by no means says they are all the same. Stupid thread as usual about KF. Has nobody on here not had a problem even with MB themselves???

Stupid thread as usual about KF. Has nobody on here not had a problem even with MB themselves???

Hmm, don't remember any threads about MB taking an oxy acytelene torch and cutting a section of chassis rail out in order to fit the wrong exhaust to a car? Kwik Fit have done it though. (reputations like theirs are usually earned, which is unfortunate for Joe Public)

Russ

My landlord when I lived in Cardiff took his car to them to get a price for his exhaust. They told him to leave the car with them as they would check if it could be welded. They phoned him later that day with a price, but he thought it was too expensive. Meanwhile without asking they had cut off and removed the rear part of the exhaust so he was left with no choice but to buy it from them.

I would have chased the unauthorized work angle on that one.

Could it even go as far as criminal damage as they've cut something off without permission?

Whats everyones problem with monkey wrenches then ?

Monkeys using them.

Actually there is a classic filmed example of a caged orang-utang that had half-inched a monkey wrench. He adjusted the wrench and undid the nuts and bolts on the cage to escape. Probably working as an exhaust fitter somewhere ...

Anybody can do an oil change, even people on this forum. You got a monkey, that by no means says they are all the same. Stupid thread as usual about KF. Has nobody on here not had a problem even with MB themselves???

I think I was unlucky, but even so, the mess my engine block was in was really silly. Can't imagine MB doing that.

Also, when I went back and had tray fitted, he came into waiting room, picked up some cable ties, and crept out. I asked at the end " that wasn't for my car was it?". Errm, yes, we lost a bolt :doh:..... and your car smells strongly of pine fresh. "why?" Becasue some degreaser is on the car matts... just give me the effing keys!

I trust them for tyres, but anything else? Not now.

I had a similar episode with national tyres last year. They filled up oil to over max mark (and badly fitted the undertray).

I have basically come to the conclusion that 2 out of 2 bad experiences of tyre garages doing basic servicing wrongly means I should stop penny pinching in this area.

Having said that, if others have a good KF centre, then good for you and save money. I'm going back to DIY, even if it is more money!

cheers for comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom