KWIK-FIT ok for disc change??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jupiter2step

Car
S211 E220 CDI Avantagarde
The front discs and pads will need changing before my next service. I always use an indy for my servicing, but he is based on the other side of town, whereas there is a Kwik-Fit right beside my work so it would be much handier. They have quoted me £180, does that sound ok?
They couldn't mess up a disc change, could they?

As your car is pre-facelift (built before June 2006), then it has the SBC braking system and they could very easily damage it or themselves if they're not familiar with it.

Post-facelift, things are more conventional and a disc and pad change is easy (did my front discs myself, it's about half an hour a side if the discs come off easily) , but I'd personally still not trust a Kwik-Fit team I didn't know to do a disc change properly without straining brake lines by letting the caliper hang off them, damaging the bearings by using huge hammers for disc removal etc. That's not to say there aren't some good Kwik-Fit mechanics about.

Provided they're supplying the discs and pads and they use decent ones, that seems to be a pretty good price to me.

Also — new pads after only 8 months?

Last edited:
If I were you I would avoid those muppets at all cost. Take your car there at your peril......

Last edited:
Insist on MB parts, ATE or Pagid.

I had them do discs and pads all 'round on my old S class, was happy with the job and they lasted until I sold it.
Do they still offer free pad replacement? If so, and you plan on keeping long term, could be a good option - they can hardly quibble that you need new discs with your next set of 'free' pads if you had them done at QF some months earlier?

BTW they could be up for some negotiation on price too, I did.

to answer the Headline question - No. to the supplementary question - Yes.

I changed my own discs front and rear and pads.

But, apparently if I got a job with Kwik-Fit, I would become an incompetent oaf...incapable of inflating a tyre let alone anything else.

Can any of the naysayers point to an accident where brakes fitted by Kwik-Fit were a contributory factor? Or is it just fashionable to slag off High Street chains?

Read in last weeks auto express that Halfords auto service do brakes for life. The article stated that they will replace discs, pads etc for the life of the car. On line it says just the pads. Also not the wear sensors. Would the Kwik Fit price include sensors etc?

The quality of Kwik-Fit work appears to vary widely from outlet to outlet. Get some decent guys working there and you will be fine. Get some ambitious guy in charge trying to progress his career up the management ladder at the expense of his staff and the customers and you're in trouble. If they can do it so much cheaper than everyone else you have to ask how. Paying cheaper labour rates, using inexperienced/ lower qualified staff, fitting cheaper unbranded components, cutting down on labour time /checks--do they road test a car with new brakes for example-- [would you even want them to??] or is it fit and forget once its off the ramp? On the other hand they could be an incredibly efficient high tech well oiled money making machine - I leave you to decide.;)

I would not chance it,try a mobile mechanic,he could do it at your place of work.

The front discs and pads will need changing before my next service. I always use an indy for my servicing, but he is based on the other side of town, whereas there is a Kwik-Fit right beside my work so it would be much handier. They have quoted me £180, does that sound ok?
They couldn't mess up a disc change, could they?

Oh they will be fine, as long as you accept that they will also change your exhuast, tyres, wipers, rear pads and discs, greabox oil, engine oil etc and all as they MUST be replaced!;)

OK will stick with my indie!

Apparently my pads are fine but discs are quite worn and need done soon.

Is it advisable to change discs and use the "old"'pads???

Is it advisable to change discs and use the "old"'pads???

Depends how old the pads are.

I changed my discs as they looked pretty poor with a big lip, and I wasn't convinced they hadn't been deteriorated by sticking caliper issues I'd had. My pads were only 20% worn so I left them on. The pads had worn to the contours of the old discs, so it took a couple of days before the pad contacted the new disc over its whole area on light braking.

jupiter2step had new pads fitted on 24 March this year, so they shouldn't be that worn unless he (she?) does lots of miles and lots of braking.

Can any of the naysayers point to an accident where brakes fitted by Kwik-Fit were a contributory factor? Or is it just fashionable to slag off High Street chains?

i had a car come into my garage that had a service, mot and front pads fitted at a high street chain ( i wont say which one ). it was done the day before it came to me, it had very little oil in it, 2 broken coil springs and the drivers front caliper was loose!
confused.gif

so please aviod at all costs!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom