KWIKFIT for oil change

Discussion in 'Parts, Maintenance & Servicing' started by t-dawg1, Mar 29, 2014.

1. t-dawg1

t-dawg1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes W211
    The manager at my local KWIKFIT has kindly offered me an MOT and Oil+Filter change all for £80 quid for the inconvenience caused when they snapped my alloy wheel nut. Question is do they use MB Approved oils for their services and has anyone ever used KWIKFIT for an oil change? My engine is an OM642?

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    You should ask them, but iirc, they use Mobil1 oil.

1 person likes this.
  3. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    MB
    I called last week with the same question, apparently they use Titan oils and some app to decide which oil to use for each vehicle.

4. OP
    OP
    t-dawg1

Car:
    Mercedes W211
    Would it be rude for me to ask the manager to use mobil1 when doing the oil change as he's already offered me a heavy discount on that service?

5. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    If it's not what they stock, they won't use it.

I wouldn't be bothered, most oil spec to manufacturers approval is cobblers, it's a paid for marketing exercise.

Titan, Fuch oils are quality oils.

1 person likes this.
  6. Philip1972

Philip1972 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350 CDI convertible 2011
    He is not making you much of a great offer TBH.

A friend of mine owns a garage and he pays £1.02 per litre for Mibil 1.

Yes thats right, £1.02.

In fact, National Tyres standard list price for my 320 (8 litres of oil) is only £58.91, before any negotiation (taken from their website)

7. OP
    OP
    t-dawg1

Car:
    Mercedes W211
    Remember it's for an MOT + Oil change + Filter for £80. Sounds a good deal to me!

8. Spinal

Spinal Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    £80 for an oil change and MOT sounds about right; according to google, kwick fit are doing an "MOT for £20" offer (nationally, when booked with another service), which leaves £60 for your oil change (the other service).

Sounds to me like upselling....

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  9. SL350_SWINDON

SL350_SWINDON Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL350 2003
    I wouldn't bother to be honest. Not an amazing deal and could be asking for trouble. The kind of tyre fitter in kwik fit isn't the most careful and dependable. I just have visions of oily overalls, trainers and a fag hanging out his mouth.

10. Auto-mobile

Auto-mobile Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2x c43 Amg clio 172 turbo 314bhp
    If you must go to Kwik fit only buy tyres.

11. SL350_SWINDON

SL350_SWINDON Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL350 2003
    I hate when it's time to get tyres fitted. All places seem to be so rough.
    I'm dreading if they need to touch my sl63 amg diamond cuts

2 people like this.
  12. geraldrobins

geraldrobins Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    c200cdi
    I've generally found kwikfit pretty good. The fitters seem pretty well turned out and wear safety shoes. Smoking is against the law in the workplace and has been since 2007. at least you can see the fitters working on your car which you cant in most main dealerships.
    There is a cheaper independant near me but that the environment is not as good shall we say.
    I dont see how tyres can be changed without touching the wheel though especially the rim. Maybe some types of wheels are 'not fit for purpose' if they get damaged by having the tyres changed.

13. Spinal

Car:
    The problem is, for "nice" alloys, they shoudl put little rubber guards on the tyre presses. These guards wear out quickly, and aren't that cheap. So most places forgo the rubber guards, leading to scratched alloys.

Another common thing I see (not just with quick fit) is the drop the wheels/alloys, face side down onto the pavement/concrete when removing them from the car.

Also common is scratches from the sockets, where they don't put rubber guards around the sockets to prevent accidental scuffs on the alloy.

For the toys on my driveway, if it's a £500 car, it gets it's wheels from the cheapest (often kwik fit). If it's a £500 alloy, it gets done properly.

M.

14. chubbs111

chubbs111 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    clk270cdi
    i found a back street tyre place last week that were a lot cheaper than main tyre places,when fitting the tyre he tried to use the old valve and he had a tin of used balance weights i think thats how they can reduce the tyre price,i insisted on new valve and weights.

15. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    Not only do they use an app to decide...they will not deviate even when asked to by a knowledgeable (me) customer.

16. geraldrobins

Car:
    c200cdi
    Thanks for that information.
    But where do you get it done properly? An MB dealer?

17. roastbeef

roastbeef Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    mercedes190e w124s
    I personally would not use kwikfit unless it was the last place to get me mobile again how often do you go in there for say a exhaust back box for them to try and sell you shock absorbers battery complete exhaust some thing else you diddnt need or want how many times these sort of places been on watch dog type program I personally all ways find a small independent always work out cheaper and always take my own wheels of and take them there loose you normally then jump the queue for getting them fitted with tyres and you can take all the time in the world taking wheels of and then refitting them and torque them up correctly with out using over powered air guns (snapping bolts studs) kwikfit for emergency only for me I'm afraid

18. geraldrobins

Car:
    c200cdi
    Personally I have always had good service at Kwikfit?
    Had a new exhaust many years ago with a 3 year warranty. Back box failed at about 30 months and the replacemnt was fitted free of charge with no quibble. They have never tried to sell me something I didnt want.
    What I do like is that they have branches all over. My back box failed on holiday but I still had the repair cost refunded at the depot that fitted it when I went in with the receipts.
    But Im sure they are not perfect like the majority of us.
    Havent BMW been on Watchdog for twisted wheels and timing chain issues?

I did have a complain once when I took a wheel in for a puncture repair but left it for over a week and when I went to collect it they had disposed of my tyre, maybe thinking I had abandoned it. The old tyre was over 50% worn and they offered me a very good deal on a new tyre. Suited me at the time.

19. Spinal

Car:
    If I have to be blunt, I'm not a huge fan of dealerships. I'm sure they do a good job, but the markup to support the infrastructure is more than I'm willing to pay.

There's a small garage not too far from me, they aren't cheap, but do a good job. They get my snazzier things... (but not for servicing, which I do myself at pit-start... except for the ducati's which are the most mentally complex engines I've ever seen... They goto a duke dealer)

I tend to use kwik fit or just-tyres for tyres as they will price match just about anything and do free fitting... so I'll find the cheapest (unfitted) price online, and ask them to match it. They've declined only once in years (for some smart tyres of all things).

It's really down to comparing what you want. A large mass-market chain like kwik fit may do the work for half the price, but if you then need to add another couple hundred pounds to get your alloys re-laquered it may offset that cost a bit. If, it's going on her car or your commuting car, and the alloys are kerbed and salt-rotten to start with... well, then why not?
    M.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  20. Rory

Rory MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C270CDi Estate (2004 facelift model)
    Same for me. One of the upsides when I out of my company car was that I'd never have to go to KF again - the lease company insisted we used them.