LA to Sanfran Vacation PCH Route!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSB SL AMG

MB Enthusiast
Car
300SL (R129 1992 pre-facelift), Volvo V70 SE D5 Auto Geartronic
Hi All,

I have booked to go to LA in mid October, 2 week hols, staying close to the USC (University), just me and GF, plan 5 days in LA, then drive to San Francisco along PCH over 5 days staying overnight along the way, potential itinerary off web in link...

USA: Drive the Pacific Coast Highway > Travel Blogger at Large

I want to hire a good old growly American V8 convertible, Mustang, Camaro etc, although from reviews most modern ones seem quiet, would be great to get an old classic mustang or something but needs to be comfortable due to stiff back lol either way old or new would be fine, not bothered about warp factor speeds lol... not sure what is the best site to look for car?, already looked at Hertz...is it best to get car at LA airport as more choice? was thinking taxi-hotel then pick up from a depot next day....could not get business on way out as booked late so will be tired etc

Any tips or advice on the whole event would be most welcome and appreciated...

Thanks.

I'm not sure I'd get a convertible, it can be so hot there it's difficult to tolerate the heat with the roof down.

I am off to vegas last week of October/Nov. I intend to hire a Mustang convertible just to get it out of my system......

Only advice I can offer is plan your route to make sure you see things on the way up. Do a bit of t'internetting and see if you can find something just off the beaten track.

And then come back and post pics:thumb:

Thanks for info, was thinking mid to late October weather would be a little cooler, I think average is around 24C (75F), and with A/C can always stick the hood up...a convertible is more to fully appreciate the views of the PCH, a nice V8 'burble' would also be a nice bonus:thumb:

I'm not sure I'd get a convertible, it can be so hot there it's difficult to tolerate the heat with the roof down.

PCH Trip...

Update: Well after 16 days in California, which unfortunately went too fast, I can report the PCH (Highway1) drive from LA to San Francisco was magical ...highlights LA particularly Griffith Observatory and cheeky drive to local view point for Hollywood sign, Malibu, Big Sur, Carmel, Hearst Castle, Pebble beach 17 mile drive...all spectacular.

I drove Northwards which meant I was on the inner side of the highway, I had perfect views...and plenty of view point turn offs...1 plus point was there seemed more traffic on the other southbound side, we mostly had highway1 to ourselves, I would add in the traffic congestion of LA & San Fran you need to be a pretty competent driver as lots of danger points around however I was fine so don't be put off...I really recommend you all do it one day, should definitely be on the 'bucket list':thumb:

Glad to hear you had a great time, we did it in the same direction 15+ years ago although we had an extra week and then went across to Vegas and the Grand Canyon etc before going back to LA.

It is a truly great road and should be on any driver's bucket list even though it may only be up to cruising.

Glad to see you made it to Hearst Castle, nowhere else like it and all the more amazing when you know its history isn't it. Did you miss the Monterey Bay aquarium?

The west coast is the only holiday I've been on that I wouldn't think twice to do again. You'll never tire off seeing parts again every time you turn the TV on, watching San Andreas the other week was an odd experience even after all this time.

Stopped off at Monterey Fisherman's wharf as was passing through...I think I did see a sign for the aquarium.

Hearst Castle was amazing, people told me its a must see, a great story, I was more impressed with his father walking hundreds of miles with weighted down horses to validate the ore he found to start the empire, still great in terms of what Randolph did over the 20 years building the castle, the tour was really informative...interestingly with what he set up in his will the Hearst Corporation is still worth billions $$$ today...

I agree about that coast, stunning, no photos don't do it justice enough... we flew back from San Fran but it would have been good to see Vegas, maybe next time...:D

Glad to hear you had a great time, we did it in the same direction 15+ years ago although we had an extra week and then went across to Vegas and the Grand Canyon etc before going back to LA.

It is a truly great road and should be on any driver's bucket list even though it may only be up to cruising.

Glad to see you made it to Hearst Castle, nowhere else like it and all the more amazing when you know its history isn't it. Did you miss the Monterey Bay aquarium?

The west coast is the only holiday I've been on that I wouldn't think twice to do again. You'll never tire off seeing parts again every time you turn the TV on, watching San Andreas the other week was an odd experience even after all this time.

Last edited:
Superb trip. We did it this summer, round trip SF to San Diego, across and back up via Vegas. Didn't do the driving, chauffeured the whole trip as part of a great package.

Not sure I'd want to do it in a convertible as it was scorching (hit 127 degrees at one point).

We rented a car for the last few days in SF using RelayRides. This is essentially owners renting their own cars out, a great way of getting unusual cars for a fraction of the price you'd pay a conventional hire car company. Worked really well - the guy dropped off the car at our hotel and collected it at the airport. Three days with a Ford Challenger 5.7l V8 Hemi for just over $300. :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 12
Last time I drove that road was mid September 2001 and rather quiet, unsurprisingly.

I did the same route North, it really is quite something.

When we got to LA it was 93F which was NOT the norm for October, they were having freaky hot Fall weather...so loads of HF sun cream:eek: and use of the air cooled fridge seats:D... as we travelled north thankfully it did get cooler, SF area was around 70f which was nice convertible weather:thumb:

That relayrides sounds great, the problem I had was rental pickup in LA drop off in San Fran so had to use one of the big rental companies...if I had another week would have done Vegas, but we did stop off over night at 4 locations along the coast upto SF so very enjoyable time...

Superb trip. We did it this summer, round trip SF to San Diego, across and back up via Vegas. Didn't do the driving, chauffeured the whole trip as part of a great package.

Not sure I'd want to do it in a convertible as it was scorching (hit 127 degrees at one point).

We rented a car for the last few days in SF using RelayRides. This is essentially owners renting their own cars out, a great way of getting unusual cars for a fraction of the price you'd pay a conventional hire car company. Worked really well - the guy dropped off the car at our hotel and collected it at the airport. Three days with a Ford Challenger 5.7l V8 Hemi for just over $300. :thumb:

Last edited:
Sorry to jump in your thread DSB - I am no way envious at all* :D

I am off to vegas last week of October/Nov. I intend to hire a Mustang convertible just to get it out of my system......

Save your money - spend it on this instead:

American Muscle Car Challenge - Experiences - Richard Petty Driving Experience

Really enjoyed it, highly recommended.

zoi8ti.jpg

Interesting scheme and good to remember if you want a last minute short term car though bear in mind it's much cheaper to hire from this country than when you get over there, the locals get seriously fleeced by the hire companies.

It's a Dodge by the way and unless they are dodgy badges (see what i did there :doh:) it's bigger than the 5.7.

Last edited:
+1 for this. I got direct quotes from the US that was at least +50% higher than UK quote for same car, got talking to an Italian guy in the queue at the rental, he told me he booked his car via UK site as it was best quote, he commented each country is weighted £££ with the UK being one of the best rates, must be one of the only things we don't get fleeced at:rolleyes:...by the way I used argus car hire.

Interesting scheme and good to remember if you want a last minute short term car though bear in mind it's much cheaper to hire from this country than when you get over there, the locals get seriously fleeced by the hire companies.

It's a Dodge by the way and unless they are dodgy badges (see what i did there :doh:) it's bigger than the 5.7.

Good point, and judging from my grins and slightly childish behaviour on the freeway I think you may be right on the engine size. Awesome noise and acceleration, but drank fuel like there was no tomorrow :)

Just done the PCH with the GLW - brilliant trip. San Francisco for three days, a days' drive to Morra Bay for an overnight, then across the Mojave and up to Las Vegas for three days [business trade expo] Sunday drive to Santa Monica for 48 hours, then home from LA.

We rented a Ford Edge from Avis via BA and paid a grand total of £168.00 for 7 days inc. taxes and everything - and loaded up on Avios too. Very comfy road cruiser, good mpg and very efficient aircon which is an essential. I did the same trip in a convertible years back and regretted it...just too bl**dy sweaty.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

We did Highway 1 back in September 2007.. Mustangs looked a little different back then (actually, so did I!)..

c79e5ac5.jpg

We did it N-S though, taking a week to go from Seattle to San Francisco. Spent the weekend there at my ex-pat mates' house, did SF to LA in a day (very boring drive down I-5), then on to Vegas the following day for 3 days before flying home. Brilliant, one of the best holidays we've ever had. Highly recommended.

Cheers,

Gaz

At least you got the right hire car. It did it about 4 years ago and ended up buying a mustang when i got home as a toy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom