Labrador owner - is it E class or ML only to carry a cage for your loved one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seems like I was wrong , it is illegal . This is the Highway Code
D442891A-D950-4270-B397-9863DC1BC1E9.jpg

The fine is up to £5,000 and/or three penalty points for carrying an unrestrained dog.

Like so many UK laws, this penalty is seldom implemented for "driving without due care and attention."

Here are two reliable sources confirming the fine - although there are plenty others out there.

As Diana proved, you can get away with ignoring the rules, but if something unexpected happens, the implications can be more serious that the fine.

Last edited:
The fine is apparently up to £5,000 and/or three penalty points for carrying an unrestrained dog.

Like so many UK laws, this penalty is seldom implemented for "driving without due care and attention."

Nope! The offence might be 'due care' or even 'not in proper control of a motor vehicle' - there's no offence of having an unrestrained dog in a vehicle.

Pete

Seems like I was wrong , it is illegal . This is the Highway Code
View attachment 110459
But the Highway Code is a guidance document isn’t is? Not legislation. The Road Traffic Act 1988 is legislation, that can probably be used/quoted with the Highway Code for prosecution.
At least we all agree that correctly restraining you pet is the best way to go 👍

Nope! The offence might be 'due care' or even 'not in proper control of a motor vehicle' - there's no offence of having an unrestrained dog in a vehicle.
Pete
Exactly, you can be fined and get points for having an unrestrained dog in the vehicle because it shows an absence of due care.

In the real world people aren't typically fined unless something nasty has happened as a result, and/or something else has happened, like driving untaxed, or without safe tyres etc etc.

Here's the police talking about how it's policed: Did you know that you could be slapped with a fine of up to £5000 if your unrestrained pet causes an accident on the road?

Exactly, you can be fined and get points for having an unrestrained dog in the vehicle because it shows an absence of due care.

In the real world people aren't typically fined unless something nasty has happened as a result, and/or something else has happened, like driving untaxed, or without safe tyres etc etc.

Here's the police talking about how it's policed: Did you know that you could be slapped with a fine of up to £5000 if your unrestrained pet causes an accident on the road?
"Exactly, you can be fined and get points for having an unrestrained dog in the vehicle because it shows an absence of due care."

The simple fact that an unrestrained dog is in a vehicle does not, and never will, constitute the offence of driving without due care and attention. If....that's if....something happened because of an unrestrained dog, such as a collision, or obviously impaired driving standards, then a driver could be prosecuted.

Simply having an unrestrained dog in a vehicle won't ever constitute an offence....unless the law is changed.

Pete

On my 2nd E-Class Estate for the exact reason of transporting my trusty EBT. I wanted an estate that could take his crate and still give luggage space (front ways instead of sideways if you get my meaning). Tried Audi, BMW etc but no good ended up with a choice between a Volvo XC70, XC90 or E-Class.

Chose the E-Class simply because it was a better looking car (tbh the seats were better in the Volvo) and haven't looked back.

Although the official measurements say they are almost identical the S211 boot area was slightly bigger than the newer S212???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom