Lacquer flaked off, how to treat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MancMike

Hi,

I've got a patch where the lacquer has come off on the boot lid and it just keeps getting bigger with each car wash.

I've done bits of spraying in the past, bumpers, etc, but this is right on top of the boot lid and I don't want to attempt to respray the whole thing, and am apprehensive of just doing a patch, as I'm not sure I can blend it properly, or get a good mirror finish.

How much do you think this would cost to be fixed professionally?

Is there a technique I can try at home to do a good patch fix?

The paint underneath is fine, it's just the laquer, but I'm not sure if the paint underneath would need some rubbing down with a cutting compound as it's been exposed or if that in itself will make it look odd once laquered...

Attachments

• IMG_8487.jpg
    IMG_8487.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 139
you will never get a good finish repairing a patch of laquer its a complete job to look good

As above. Only sanding and re-lacquer will get a decent result. A body shop should also clean and treat the paint before re-applying lacquer.

OP; There is a technique you can use at home.... its called bodging and I personally, wouldn't recommend it.

If that's the case, and I'm going to need the full boot lid respraying, I might just give it a clean up and give it a "cap" of clearcoat just to seal it from getting worse for now.

:(

I contacted a guy from chipsaway about this, sent my picture...

He replied:

"Hi, Mike.

I can't do the repair as it is the boot lid.
I know it sounds strange but my lamps I use for drying the
lacquer are only able to dry side panels and bumpers because of
the angle of them. We cant do boot lids, bonnets or roofs.

Sorry"

Hmm... Might have to try a body shop. I'll go ask around a couple of body shops I know at weekend...

Personally i wouldnt touch chips away, sorry if this offends anybody on here. They use cheap products, and lets be honest you cant paint a bonnet out doors or under a gazebo as many of them seem to do.

Dansenior said:
Personally i wouldnt touch chips away, sorry if this offends anybody on here. They use cheap products, and lets be honest you cant paint a bonnet out doors or under a gazebo as many of them seem to do.

Second that! Paint for me is something best left to the professionals (bodyshops)

In my experience with Mercedes, lacquer will only peel if that panel has been repainted at some point. So you'd be wise to see what's been painted and where the lacquer may peel in the future

Paint going up to rubber trim is the usual place where lacquer peels. Most body shops are incredibly lazy and just mask the trim, leaving an edge which ends up peeling

If the car has any overspray, orange peel, missing trim or broken trim clips it's usually been in a bodyshop!

Nick Froome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom