lacquer peeling W163 inherent fault ?? HELP NEEDED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andi968

Car
Ml270 Cdi C280 Sport
See post first
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/84466-current-rust-warranties-2.html#post1061048

I parked up next to a similar aged ML270 yesterday and as a typical Merc freak I couldn't help but give it a quick look over when the owner returned and we started to chat. I mentioned to him about my recent call to MB and appointment at bodyshop on Tuesday and then noticed that the lacquer on his ML is peeling in the exact same place !! (rear right hand corner by tailgate) we carried on our discussion and came to the conclusion it could be classed as a manufacturing defect. As they are sprayed by robots it could be that the lacquer is not thick enough or too thick:bannana: on that corner hence the peeling and flaking.

Are there any other W163 owners out there with the same issues? I will take a picture and post it here when the weather brightens up a bit later and if any of you can do the same I would really appreciate it and will take the pictures to Mercedes on Tuesday.

Hi, I had an ML350 with exactly the same issue. Another parked down the road also had it, as did one in the sainsburys car park. All were around 2004 models. I contacted Mercedes about the problem and they feigned ignorance. However they did point me to the parts department of course! The two plastic pieces are glued on. I bought from a non Mercedes site ages ago (can't recall the site right now I'm afraid). Not cheap of course!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom