Laddo lands apprenticeship

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr E

MB Enthusiast
Car
57 W211 E280 AG
I've just realised that I hadn't passed on this news...

My lad finished his NVQ3 in Vehicle Engineering in the middle of last year and has been scouring the locality looking for an apprenticeship in a workshop. He saw an ad on the lamp-post(!) outside the local VW dealership and dropped his CV in on spec. Commendably, they responded to him to say that they were looking for experienced technicians, but they would keep his details on file.

Come December, he got a call out of the blue from the VAG apprenticeship scheme - was he interested in an interview at a local dealership just opening? Did a phone interview with the VAG people, and then with the Service Manager at the new place. Things went quiet, but he popped back in a couple of times to say that he was still interested.

Come end of January, he gets a call - can he come in lunchtime to see the Service Manager? When he arrives, he's offered the apprenticeship! SM said that he got the job because 1) he had done the college work and had some practical experience, 2) he was working in the meantime whilst looking (albeit at McDonalds), 3) he was the only person to turn up for an interview in a suit, and 4) he kept popping back in to show his interest.

He been there (at the new Skoda dealership in Horsham) for about 6 weeks, and is loving it! Seems to have settled in well and is doing real work too - simple servicing, cambelt changes, etc. The money is about half what he was getting at McDonalds :eek: but we're helping him out with car insurance, etc. He gets his first block training at the VAG centre in Milton Keynes in October, which he's looking forward to.

It's so good to see him finally doing what he's wanted to do ever since he could say the word "car". He's also got he's little Seicento back on the road having done new front struts, bushes, rear bearings, brakes all round, and alternator (spending all his holiday money). Clutch cable went this week which is a nasty little job on those things, so he went in this morning to do that just in time for his first date with a nice young lady he's met recently (nothing like a good incentive to get things done!).

I'm not quite ready to let him loose on Mrs E's CLK (he's in the dog-house over a tyre...) but he's lined up for the next service in the Kia.:eek:

Good news for him.

One of my nephews is currently on the VAG apprenticeship scheme and apparently enjoying it..

Excellent news....so difficult for youngsters these days, and I have to say I think the SM's reasoning was good.

The only problem with working on Skoda's is that he will get bored of only doing regular service work and no interesting breakdown repairs.

He could always move to Vauxhall dealer for a proper challenge...

Excellent stuff - well done and congratulations to Master E
Sounds like it was well deserved.

the only problem with working on skoda's is that he will get bored of only doing regular service work and no interesting breakdown repairs.

He could always move to vauxhall dealer for a proper challenge...

:d

Well done him. In my humble opinion an apprenticeship in more valuable these days than some uni degrees

Well done and congratulations looks like his determination paid off, really pleased for him.

Also nothing like starting out with a main stream manufacturer.

Well done Master E :thumb:

The only problem with working on Skoda's is that he will get bored of only doing regular service work and no interesting breakdown repairs.

Or Mercedes :)

Dieselman said:
The only problem with working on Skoda's is that he will get bored of only doing regular service work and no interesting breakdown repairs. He could always move to Vauxhall dealer for a proper challenge...

How true. When I worked at a Mercedes and VAG dealership the mechanics were not particularly good almost never having to actually fix anything.
What a difference at British LeylandJRT. Some of the best mechanics I ever worked with.

How true. When I worked at a Mercedes and VAG dealership the mechanics were not particularly good almost never having to actually fix anything.
What a difference at British LeylandJRT. Some of the best mechanics I ever worked with.

You just hit the nail on the head there are no "mechanics" in dealers anymore they are all vehicle technicians, diagnose faults and replace parts is all they do. Mechanics repair and rebuild as well. The best mechanics I know have either worked in unreliable manufacturers or in motorsport where you don't have luxury of being able to raid the stores

Congratulations. Jobs hard to come by for youngsters, and show what determination, effort and a little persistence can do.

Interestingly, only about 60% of the stuff that comes through the workshop is Skoda - he's worked on Land Rover, Mini, VW, BMW, Nissan and Peugeot too over the last 6 weeks.

Ironically enough, this dealership took over the site after the Vx dealer went bust about 12 months ago; the big PAS garage went about 6 months ago and that is being redeveloped by the Ford dealership as they've sold their site to John Lewis.

Well done him. In my humble opinion an apprenticeship in more valuable these days than some uni degrees

True - such a shame that an apprenticeship has been devalued in this country. Have a look at the apprenticeship website - receptionists, estate agents, office admin "apprenticeships" abound. Just seems an excuse to be able to employ someone at £2.68/hr and then turf them out after a year and start again.

Disappointing that an apprenticeship or other vocational qualification are not held in the same regard as they are in, say, Germany.

Disappointing that an apprenticeship or other vocational qualification are not held in the same regard as they are in, say, Germany.

Don't worry Mr E, due to the increasing skill shortages they soon will be. I remember when I left school Swan Hunter Ship Builders used to take on hundreds of apprentices every year, granted most of them were paid off at the end of their time but at least they had a trade to work with.

Very well done Master E - my advice would be to go on every training course funded by VAG - more tools in the ****nal for the future :thumb:.

Well done! The garage near Bicester that services my classics has so far taken on three apprentices in the last 3 years. Johnny, the first, got apprentice of the year at the local technical college, and now Adam, the second, was given the same award just two days ago. Dealing with older cars means an awful lot of hands on mechanical experience, without any option of plugging a diagnostic machine in. Nice friendly lads too - they feel valued and loyal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom