Lager, Beer, and Headaches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
I've never been a drinker, but when I do have a pint it's invariably lager.

I find it can give me a headache, and was told a long time ago it's because lager is full of chemicals :dk:.

Can the panel advise (from experience) an alternative that I could try, which is less chemical and hopefully less headache inducing.

I'm thinking of a beer type more than a specific brand.

Thanks.

real ale apparently. More so organic??

But I find 1 is too many and 10 is not enough!

Don't think lager is full of chemicals ? I know someone fairly high up in SABMiller and asked them the same thing , and was told in no uncertain terms that lager doesn't contain chemicals !

However , I find nowadays that export strength stuff gives me a headache , so I stick to Becks Vier , carlsberg ( non export obviously ) and slightly weaker lager

However , the exemption to this is Peroni , which I love , but even having one bottle will give me a headache the next day , no idea why :dk:

Magners, can drink gallons of it, get completely off your face and wake up right as rain :)
Lager is a no no for me now, Hangover hell!

I should add that if I'm out with the car I have shandy (lager/lemonade mix) but can still get the headache.

We're talking a couple here, not a headache as part of a hangover.

I should add that if I'm out with the car I have shandy (lager/lemonade mix) but can still get the headache.

Oh :eek:

Dr Chris here, you definitely need to knock a few Vodka's down you to ease the pain :dk:

Oh :eek:

Dr Chris here, you definitely need to knock a few Vodka's down you to ease the pain :dk:

I've always been like it Chris - it ruined many a good night out because if ever I did get to the drunken stage, we're talking a headache for, sometimes, days :crazy:.

Used to drink bitter when I was younger, mainly keg stuff which made you rough in the morning but it was just part of growing up. Then went on the cask beers when they were re-introduced and these were certainly better the morning after.

Now, and for the last several years, drink nothing but lager as I worked abroad for a long time so got used to it. Never feel bad in the mornings when I'm away, but at home I was rough for a good 24 hours afterwards. I now try to drink Stella 4 which, as it's name suggests, is 4% therefore not as strong.

Still a bit bad in the mornings, but nowhere near as bad as when I was on the full fat stuff. :)

As for the Cider mentioned above, I love it but it hates me. :( Must be an age thing...

Try German beers brewed to the Reinheitsgebot (beer purity law dating back to 1487) specifying only malt, barley and hops for beer. While no longer law, top german breweries state they observe it.

If that doesn't help, it's probably an allergy (there are some histamines).

My local publican who is a lager drinker, will drink any lager except Foster's. It is the only drink to react with the pipe cleaner.

Carling for me through..:D

I can get the same , are you fully hydrated before you go out , because even being mildly dehydrated can cause headaches the next day even after a couple.

I'm sure you know , but you can check your hydration easily by the colour of your urine.

After a skin full, I always down a pint of water before i go to sleep. I've never had a bad hangover since I started doing that.

Now, where's me pint of JD and coke?

If you are getting headaches when you drink then clearly you arent drinking enough.

When you drink enough you get headaches the next day.

Do you get a headache after a glass of wine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom