Laguna electrics and in-car dvd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pammy

MB Enthusiast
Car
hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
Not really sure where to put this but here seems a good start :eek:

The Laguna is great - really pleased with it - perfect for what we need it for. A couple of things though and I wonder if anyone here might know the answer....

The car has four 12v sockets, only two appear not to be working. The one that would have been the cigarette lighter on the front and the one on the boot. The two attached to the centre console work fine. Everything else works perfectly, so any ideas and is this likely to be a tough one to fix or get fixed?

Then I have a bog standard portable dvd player that we use in the car - similar to this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NWLZP4/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

What we'd like to do is attach another screen to it. Anyone know where I can get just a screen from thst would just attach. It's got all the connections on the base unit. Already looking at infrared headphones for it too as it was such a hit with the boys yesterday when we were out for the day.

Ta chaps

You have checked them with the engine running (some sockets aren't permanently live)? Next stop would be the fuses, possible someone stuck something with a high draw in there. If it was just one socket not working you could look for loose connectors etc. but with two out it's likely to be something else IMO.

Can't help with the extra screen I'm afraid, we bought a cheap one (Toys R Us) with a seperate base unit and two screens ... they go on the headrests with velcro straps. We use cheap headphones from the M-B museum in Stuttgart - they give them to you as a gift when you leave :) But IR ones would be better.

Well it's either that or "lose" one of the kids.

You have checked them with the engine running (some sockets aren't permanently live)? Next stop would be the fuses, possible someone stuck something with a high draw in there. If it was just one socket not working you could look for loose connectors etc. but with two out it's likely to be something else IMO.

Tried that first as I know how some sockets aren't always live from the Voyager. I'd have thought though if it was a fuse something else would have gone - but could these things be on just their own fuse then?

Some high current electrics have individual fuses. Being two sockets I would think that they are probably fused by the same fuse. But there again I am rubbish with things that spark and send tingles round your body.

Try this forum -you will have to join of course.
http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but Lagunas are notorious for electrical problems. I think the main fusebox is behind the battery somewhere and one beside the drivers knee??

Last edited:
Some high current electrics have individual fuses. Being two sockets I would think that they are probably fused by the same fuse. But there again I am rubbish with things that spark and send tingles round your body.
Well after Bill's comment above and sommat Mr P said we decided let's RTFM and guess what :eek: :eek: - one fuse replaced later the sockets now work :bannana: :bannana:

Try this forum -you will have to join of course.
http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but Lagunas are notorious for electrical problems. I think the main fusebox is behind the battery somewhere and one beside the drivers knee??

Fuses are all nicely located at the side of the steering wheel console - very easy to get at and very easy to identify and replace.

We've dropped on really well with this Laguna as "touch wood" it is all in excellent working order:rock: :rock: Excellent economy and comfy, easy drive does just what we need it to - so never thought I'd say it but very happy with a French car.

Prophet of Doom gets it wrong!

Glad you got it sorted despite my gloomy predictions.:eek: If its one thing the French know about is suspension so always comfortable. They always seem to get good safety ratings also. They make good diesel engines also altho not immune from snags. http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=331&
The EGR fault on 1.9DCIs turbo diesels which causes the engine to consume its own oil is the one to watch for. I didn't realise how bad this could be till I encountered a similar problem on a Mazda 6 diesel just recently getting just 2 litres from a sump which should have been 5! Shouldn't be a problem if you keep a close watch on the engine oil level. Anyway glad your fully "wired up" again. :)

It's true that early Lagunas had a number of electrical foibles but later ones were sorted out.

Being a dci I would keep a look out for signs of failing turbo bearings, it will go due to an issue on the Garrett turbo. There is now a modified turbo as a replacement.

If the turbo starts to make a light rattling noise or the engine produces blue smoke on start-up or idling then the turbo is on the way out and needs changing/refurbing.
60k seems to be when they go. Im sure this is down to the extended oil drain period and using semi-synth oil. If the oil was full synth and changed at 10k then I think the turbos would last much better.

Two of my Guys had Lagunas and both had turbos go. One made smoke for several weeks before he changed it and the other made rattling noises for months before finally allowing oil into the manifold on the M5.
This caused a slight run away situation but he engine did stop after a short period and it only revved upto about 2k.

Other than that both cars were reliable.

Mrs. Walker said that too....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom