Lake District

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
Evening !!

Heading down to the Lake District tomorrow for the day

What's your favourite recommendation for a destination and why ?

Cant help with Lake District recommendations Steve but there's a great homely little place just off the M74 @ Gretna where you can always get a cuppa and a cake. ;)

Happytalk73 said:
Cant help with Lake District recommendations Steve but there's a great homely little place just off the M74 @ Gretna where you can always get a cuppa and a cake. ;)

If I turned up and Mrs. LTD knew you do kitchens, it would be an expensive stop ........

We stayed at the pub in the centre of Hawkshead a very long time ago. Great for a base to adventure. Not sure if in this day and age it is still somewhere to stay. Found a grand house that was converted to a very nice hotel just up the road, sorry it was so long ago I've forgotten its name and location.

We tend to stay somewhere like the Scafell Hotel in Borrowdale. - Just to the south of Derwent Water; it seems quieter away from Windermere, and that's the way we like it.

Thanks for the tea stop recommendation Ant !!!

For clarity, I'm driving down for the day and returning that evening. No need for a hotel

Been to Keswick and Bowness-on-Mere recently so looking for somewhere else with something to offer for a leisurely day

Depends what you like, but my favourites are away from the commercial stuff, but with good views and good driving:

(1) a drive through the Wrynose and Hardknott passes (west from Skelwith, top end of Windermere). Tight bends and 1 in 3, and a Roman fort to visit!

(2) Surprise View (two thirds the way down east side of Derwentwater, turn off towards Ashnest Bridge. Continue same road, up hill. In the woods, park up on right and walk carefully through trees - you suddenly come to top of dramatic cliff with distant views over Derwentwater and straight along Bassenthwaite Lake).

(3) Gummers How - nice lazy short hill walk, with really good views over Windermere (right at southern end of Windermere, turn off A592 into Fell Foot Brow. Drive up hill; after about 2/3 mile, car park on right, footpath leads north from opposite carpark, takes you gently up ridge to hilltop called Gummers How)

All show up on Google maps.

Whatever you do, enjoy!

Try Aira Force, just off the Pooley Bridge to Glenridding road along Ullswater. Good walk up to the waterfall and great scenery.You can then go on to the Kirkstone pass and stop at the top for refreshment and more views.

Ravens Glass, take a 40 min ride on the miniature steam train, lunch at one of the two pubs at the other end then 40 min ride back. Great scenery interesting steam trains and a not too crowded drive down via Workington.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom