Laminated Glass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crockers

MB Enthusiast
Car
XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
Is having Laminated glass all round a good or a bad thing?

Good - quieter, less likely to get break ins
Bad - If bad accident harder to smash windows.

Any thoughts ?

Would a life hammer work on laminated windows. ??

Doubt it would make any difference in a break in. They are still going to wreck your glass and no doubt keep trying to smash it repeately making damage to the rest of the car more likely.

Simon_M said:
Laminated is much heavier than toughened.

Never knew that. Must be a lot thicker then. Surely the only way it could be heavier?

It is - I put laminated in certain parts of my house. Remember it is essentially two panes of glass sandwiching a sheet of plastic. The weight was more noticeable in double glazing as it was basically doubling the glass weight.

S

It is - I put laminated in certain parts of my house. Remember it is essentially two panes of glass sandwiching a sheet of plastic. The weight was more noticeable in double glazing as it was basically doubling the glass weight.

S

Not if one specifies the correct thickness of glass.

A 6mm sheet of laminated glass weighs less than a 6mm sheet of toughened as the plastic layer weighs less than glass.

Did you install armoured glass in your house to protect other local residents? ;)

Laminated glass is normally 2 layers of 3mm glass with a 0.38mm PVB layer so will actually weight fractionally more than a 6mm equivalent of toughened glass as it is thicker.

But is it worth the extra cost? Is it safer or more dangerous to have it?

I have twin-pane anti-UV glass on my Audi (same as in that clip above!) and the sound proofing of it from outside sounds is top-notch. Driving around central London with the window down (which is generally loud wherever you are), you close the window and you hear a nice solid "clunk" sound as the glass slots into the seal in the top of the frame and then.... absolute silence. So I'd say its definitely worth and definitely works it in that respect, and also from a security point of view!

The S-Class on the other hand has a big furry window frame at the top of the doors. So much so that you can roll the window down two inches or so and still just see the velvety window frame from outside the car and can't see a gap! Only single pane glass but I'm sure the big soft window frames have the same effect with regards to sound deadening.

Is having Laminated glass all round a good or a bad thing?

Good - quieter, less likely to get break ins
Bad - If bad accident harder to smash windows.

Any thoughts ?

Laminated side glass is the safest. It's a rare event I admit, but if in a side impact it will offer the best protection ie. preventing partial ejection by offering more support to the side curtain airbags.
I know of OEM who have changed to this glass for this reason. In the same unlikely accident, the doors are designed to unlock themselves, plus the non-struck side will still be openable.
In the grand scheme of life the universe and everything I wouldn't worry about it myself, but you did ask :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom