LAN Diagram?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imadoofus

MB Enthusiast
Car
This and that.
I've been asked to provide a diagram of a LAN. It's got a fileserver, an Exchange server, a SNAP server, a firewall, a router, a patch cabinet and any number of ethernet outlets. No wireless.

What the heck is the diagram supposed to look like? I assume I don't have to draw all the cabling; and otherwise, surely all LANS are essentially the same? :confused:

All input gratefully received.

TIA

PJ

If you are on a Mick$oft workstation you can use Visio to make such a thing.

But I don't know what it's supposed to look like...

PJ

Ok, I have lots of them but I can't share them since they are our security blue print and I'm not gone publish...

found this http://www.dslreports.com/pictures

Thanks. It's as I suspected. In other words, it's bleedin' obvious what a LAN looks like, and anybody who asks me to draw a picture of it is just wasting my time :mad: (or they know less than I do!)

Thanks for your help.:)

PJ

The simple way to draw it is to draw a horizontal line which represenst the cable or LAN. Connect your PC's servers to it by lines perpendicular to this.
Keep the drawings simple.
Conventionally put common resources underneath the line e.g. printers, servers and individual workstations (PC's) on top of the line.
It can get much more complicated though.

The diagram can look like anything depending on context!

If it is just a network diagram then forget cabling, that would be a cable diagram.

Just put all your equipment on a page with your switch in the middle and draw lines connecting everything to the switch ;)

Shude said:
Just put all your equipment on a page with your switch in the middle and draw lines connecting everything to the switch ;)

That's what I did, but then I looked at it, and thought that if the guy asking for this diagram already knows the components of the network, then either he can do his own drawing (or he can get a small child to do it;) ), or he wants something much more technical.

Evidently not...

PJ

imadoofus said:
That's what I did, but then I looked at it, and thought that if the guy asking for this diagram already knows the components of the network, then either he can do his own drawing (or he can get a small child to do it;) ), or he wants something much more technical.

Evidently not...
Actually having looked at some of the other responses the switch might almost be considered cabling (a hub probably would be) so you could just draw lines as suggested by BonzoDog!

the 3 d's IT

Documentation
Documentation
Documentation

:D

so they arent waisting your tine :)

If I was your new network guy, I'd be asking the same question.

You should include all the switches, servers, port numbers, mac addresses IP addresses & Printers,in your diagram if it is done correctly.

The diagram should allow someone totally alian to your network to have a full understanding of everything out there.

Anything less is worthless.

As said above, Visio is the tool for the job.

Well he's not a new network guy, he's a pain in the ar$e.

In this case, IP addresses are irrelevant. He knows what's on the LAN, and he knows what needs to be on the LAN in the future, and as far as I'm concerned, I've got better things to do than pander to numpties making busy work to justify their existence.

When his people own the company, he can draw as many pretty pictures as he wants. He can even retain me to help colour them in!

As you may gather, I'm a bit sick of this project....

PJ

PS: Thanks all for your help :)

KISS,

actually drop the last S as that makes it sound just too rude.

Just because this numpty knows how the network is connected up doesn't mean there shouldn't be a diagram depicting it all.
And since, by the sound of things, you report to him then it is quite reasonable that you should do the donkey work!
Now has that wound you up enough?;)

On a serious note though it is important that this sort of documentation is up to scratch. Not only will it be invaluable to any newcomer but will probably help you to have a clear concise understanding of how everything hangs together.

Mac.

Sp!ke said:
Anything less is worthless.

As said above, Visio is the tool for the job.

As I sit here at 20:19 drawing a LAN in Visio for an American project.

Missing Visio? Try this with 30 days free (long enough to draw most LANs!)

machasm said:
Just because this numpty knows how the network is connected up doesn't mean there shouldn't be a diagram depicting it all.
And since, by the sound of things, you report to him then it is quite reasonable that you should do the donkey work!
Now has that wound you up enough?;)

I don't work for him. I'm working on behalf of a company in facilitating its sale, and he's working on behalf of the buyers. He's definitely making busy work, because a telecon I had this afternoon with the horse's mouth has confirmed that he's been asked only to look at integrating ERM systems after the deal.

PJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom