Land Rover Defender

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Update: 8500 miles in so far, lots of different driving and faultless performance!

Current family fleet of Land Rover products (Range Rover P38, Evoque and Freelander):

Some images from touring! Off road height on the air suspension \/

Small towing job, it tows effortlessly!

Best mpg so far, doubt I'll ever beat it!

Hoping to upgrade the stereo and a few bits when I get time.

Thanks for reading.

wonderful to hear no issues. Plenty of Defenders roaming London. They are everywhere

That's because they are way too fragile to be used by the farmers and offroaders like the real Defenders!

Hello!

I thought this might be of some interest to people here. After a long time (almost a year) looking for a jeep I finally managed to get something that wasn't on the original list of choices. I was looking at Land Rover/Range Rover's and ML/GLE however the second hand market was just madness.

So here is my first ever new car a Defender D250 in Carpathian grey!

Pictures at the dealer on the first view:

Collection day three months on:

I've had the jeep for just two months now and covered 3.5k miles, will update with more pictures soon!

Thanks for looking.
Very nice, but why is the digital speedo set for kilometres ?

Hello!

Just under 13k miles now and in desperate need of a winter wash. Nothing to report mechanically apart from one front tyre is wearing the outside edge, need to get an alignment done to check. The engine feels as it did on the first 1k miles and mpg remained the same, haven't noticed any 'run in' difference. It's due its first test in the new year and I will probably get a oil/filter change done for peace of mind.

One of the few things I was not convinced on from new was the original wheels, they sit very inwards on the arches. As the tyres are getting down I was on the look out for some replacement wheels. I was looking for something a little different to the usual 22's you see on them and genuine LR wheels. I managed to find a set of SVR Sport wheels which I think will look very nice wrapped in some all terrain rubber. I did a quick 8x8 mock up!

I just need to source a fifth rim and get some tyre pressure sensors before getting them on.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
A summer update!

Now on 22k miles and going great so far! Still impressed at how much of an all rounded it can be.

Pictures of the last few months:

Tried the 21" wheels but haven't fitted them yet, just not convinced and there's not much 21" AT tyre selection.

It was busy in the new year and didn't have much opportunity for a clean sadly!

Moving the garden mower around!

Cameras are great for towing and getting around town:

I find the LED lights good although some people aren't happy with them:

Finally a proper wash.

More towing!

Great screen for seeing what's going on, was at 784ft on that site.

Gave the underside a clean up.

Collecting the E55, towed effortlessly.

MPG Time > going to the view the E55 (stopped at the shop en route)

Towing the empty trailer

Towing with the E55 on (I stopped to check the straps etc so it reset the journey)

That's all for now!

Thanks for looking.

2023 Defender round up!

Coming up on 30k miles now with no issues to report. It's due a service now in January so see how that goes. The on board computer says an average of 33.2MPG which is a mixture of town and motorway driving with occasional towing.

I managed to pick up a set of wheels which I've been looking for a long time, 20" with diamond cut faces, I think they suit the Defender very well!

General clean up and check over underneath.

Some more towing:

Weekend call out to fix a digger stuck down a muddy lane.

Clean up to get the outside looking presentable again!

That's all for now. Plans for 2024 are fit the new wheels, possibly some all terrain tyres and some extra LED lights.

Thanks for looking!

I have seen a really nice light discreet bar for these that attaches to the roof

Roof light bars are expensive! This one is £2,820 inc VAT !!! :-

Snap 2024-01-04 at 08.34.33.jpg

My understanding is "Yes" - provided that they are "E marked":-

Optional main beam lights (spot lights, light bars, etc.) can be any height that you like as long as they are wired such that they go off with the main beam.

Schedule 5, Part 1 of the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations:

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

I stress "my understanding" as this is a note which I made probably 5-7 years ago when considering fitting roof lights to my Discovery. I would ask any retailler to confirm that they are legal before buying.

NJSS

I looked at these light bars but from what I can see they wire directly to the battery and use a wireless fob to switch on/off. Maybe some of the more expensive versions integrate with the full/dip beam.

Harry's review

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So it lasted a full 1400 miles without breaking......thats a result for a JLR product!!!.....I assume it didn't......I didn't have time to watch it in full!!!

Not seeing any that I can recall on the Isle of Wight, I was amazed on a resent trip to North York’s to see literally dozens of them visiting Helmsley for the day shopping.
Yep loads of them round here, the more you get into the Dales the more there are of them, I had a look at our builders they are nice I must admit, very tempted when I retire "eventually" and the company car goes.

Harry's review

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Harry talks a great deal of sense. No real surprise that it is not really so clever on fuel at speed as more slippery cars. I noticed the very seem thing between the A8 and Macan both using what is a basically the same V6 diesel engine.
However if you don't do many long haul, high speed journeys, then it's not a big issue. I'm not sure I could, or would stump up almost £100k for such a utilitarian vehicle given my previous experience with both Defender (90's style!) and FFRR.

However if you don't do many long haul, high speed journeys, then it's not a big issue.
That's a question that rattles around my head. In a country (UK) with such low average journey speeds, just how important is good aero?

Quite a bit I think....even at 50 or 60mpg they is a lot of air resistance. In an ICE car a change in the drag coefficient of just 0.01 changes the combined fuel economy of a vehicle by 0.1 mpg. This means that if you make a 10% reduction in aerodynamic drag your motorway fuel economy will improve by approximately 5%. Good aero makes a significant deference at anything above about 30 mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom