Land Rover Discovery.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
It's very premature but we have had our Nissan Joke for 4 years this March.

We've no immediate plans to change but when out and about, sometimes you spot things which could be potentials for the future when we do decide to change.

We know someone who has a 2003 LRD and is very happy with it.

Anyone have experience of the current version of it?

LR worries me slightly from all the discussions on here about RRs and reliability but this could well be the usual "people not on the forum don't join to post up when they don't have problems" situation.

I've not done any research yet btw.

I've just started looking - they only do diesel which we don't really want.

Stand down!

:thumb:

Is your choice purely diesel vs. petrol, or the capability or other advantages of the vehicle?

I had a (diesel) LR D3 for three years and despite the odd issue loved it. Blank the EGR and you've got a very responsive engine. A very practical, adaptible and capable vehicle - I do miss it.

Yes, they will have faults like every other car, but overall it was a great all rounder and a good daily drive. Only family circumstances forced a change to my E320 and my wife to a Kia (now replaced by an E250 convertible).

I have a 2015 D4 and am very pleased with it. 13k miles in and nothing untoward to report.

Like anything, things written on the 'net tend to be negative as people love whingeing but not praising.
I wanted a d3 to replace my L200, Mrs JB preferred the look of the 120 Landcruiser. You get less for your money in the Toyota but the unimpeachable reliability and reputation, their residuals are rock solid.
Have been looking seriously for 2/3 months at a price point less than £10k.
Our intrepid Lee (SPX) very kindly looked at one local to him for me this week. Sadly, underneath wasn't great, in common with the other two that I've viewed. Not like Toyota at all, and there is quite some disappointment and concern in "our" forum. Same applies to the Amazon named 100, rot around the back underneath.
Our Lee reckons he knows someone with a D3 who's done 350k trouble free miles.
I think they are great. However Mrs JB aint keen, so our search is now LC120 rot free, or L322 Rangie.
You just need to find one thats been very well looked after.

A separate chassised commercial vehicle whose design originates in the 1950's -----what could possibly go wrong? Like the Mercedes G class unbeatable off road ---a death trap on the highway. A motoring dinosaur.

SORRY SCRUB THAT I was thinking DEFENDER not Discovery.

Last edited:
It isn't just the fuel solely but that is a big factor.

It just doesn't do the miles to warrant it.

I've compared sizes and the Discovery is quite a bit bigger and Mrs JB doesn't want a larger vehicle although I'm sure she'd be fine in it.

It isn't just the fuel solely but that is a big factor.

It just doesn't do the miles to warrant it.

I've compared sizes and the Discovery is quite a bit bigger and Mrs JB doesn't want a larger vehicle although I'm sure she'd be fine in it.

Your Mrs JB or my Mrs JB ? lol

RR Sport? Touareg?

We have a L322 RR, and I've also driven the D4. I'd say if this is your choice, you should drive one, Derv or not, as I found the Disco to be very very competent. I prefer it to the Range Rover (my wife is not happy!), and if I can stretch my budget (and accept that the wife is going to hate me), that's where I would like to be next.

They don't feel that big to drive, to me at least.

The diesel mated with the 8sp box is a fine combination. Not fantastically fast or economical but perfectly acceptable for what it is. Drove ours to Sweden and back and loaded up on that sort of journey it is an unbeatable combination. My wife was initially wary about the size but she is used to it now. The actual footprint isn't that large and the boxy shape makes it easy to place. Ours has surround cameras and wade sensing which helps in very tight spaces.

What about a Tiguan (or wigwam as Mrs Red calls them)?

Similar size to the Joke and you'd probably get something much newer for your budget. They also offer a petrol version.

Last edited:
There's a bloke on the Discovery 3 forum that's done 742,000 as of November '15.

Pesky unreliable Land Rovers....

500,000 of which being miles to and from dealer to effect repairs...

Mrs GVM had the same concerns but she finds the FFRR easier to drive and park than either the SL or SLK and she refuses to drive my van because she can't see the bonnet at all..…all four corners are in view in the FFRR (and the Disco) which eliminates any guesswork. Mind you, the same could be said for a Suzuki Jimny!

Your Mrs JB or my Mrs JB ? lol

I nearly typed "Mrs JEB" but it was starting to look like my initials which they aren't!

I think the concerns with diesel are over mis-fuelling, some kind of anti diesel government drive at some stage due to NOx, and it's a horrible stinky fuel.

That and the fact that diesels have been a lot more problematic than the petrol counterparts for many years.

I do like the torque delivery of them though I must admit.

Not looking to spend lots but if we can get something a bit more comfortable than the Joke, well that's a bonus. The Joke is not uncomfortable btw - just not quite enough estate for me being a slightly taller driver.

Radar cruise would be good.

Don't forget, we are not changing for a while so this is only a preliminary investigation!

John

If a friend asked me whether a D3 was a good idea, I would advise them to stay well clear unless they want some serious agro in their lives.

Having sold them, repaired them and had quite a lot of dealings with them....avoid is my best recommendation.

I now refuse to take them in as PX's as a lot of them have got real issues especially at the cheaper end of the spectrum.

There's a reason why TATA brought out the D4 when the D3 had only been in production for 5 years and that was due to the shear size of the warranty bills coming through on the D3 and the effect it was having on LR's reliability index in the JD Power results.

The D4 is a much better vehicle but still has its issues.

Yes you will hear stories of mega mileage D3's and people who swear by them, but having been at the sharp end, they are weak and its also one of the reasons why D2 TD5's are going up in value.

You are much better off going for a Land Cruiser or Shogun or a really well looked after D2 TD5

I had a D3 and it was awesome, one of the best cars I've owned but it is true that for every really good one there does seem to be 2 or 3 not so good ones, I think I was just lucky.

James.

There's a bloke on the Discovery 3 forum that's done 742,000 as of November '15.

Pesky unreliable Land Rovers....

I'll bet he's been through the entire list of guaranteed faults, though:thumb:

I'll bet he's been through the entire list of guaranteed faults, though:thumb:

At least twice I'd say!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom