Land Rover vs Cyclist - Classy road rage in Richmond

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What I find quite weird about the cyclists vs motorists saga is that most of them behave like they belong to two different tribes.
Personally I love both driving and cycling and when I drive I am always mindful of cyclists and the other way around. If there is something that I really cannot stand is when one adopts a behaviour whose sole purpose is to damage the other one, like for instance when a car forces a cyclist to either stop or hit the kerb, or (which is a real classic on weekend days in Cheshire) when two cyclists proceed side by side on a busy road trying to keep as much distance as possible from each other so that they can block the whole lane.

In this specific case, the Land Rover guy has clearly crossed the line of decency (and I am not referring to his leather jacket here), but the cyclist could have easily defused the situation instead of waving a red drape in front of a bull(y) on rampage.

To e honest if a bit more patience and tolerance was shown on both parts that wouldn't have happened, the LD **** could have waited, I hang back for cyclists and squirt past when it's safe, and the cyclist kept pressing LD ***** buttons...

I see the Police are investigating now... road rage is not acceptable no matter what the provocation

A Metropolitan Police Service spokesman said: "A 50-year-old man voluntarily attended a south London police station where he was interviewed in connection with the incident.

"The man was not arrested. Enquiries continue."

Nothing will happen , it was just two people shouting at each other.

SLKGirl said:
To e honest if a bit more patience and tolerance was shown on both parts that wouldn't have happened, the LD **** could have waited, I hang back for cyclists and squirt past when it's safe, and the cyclist kept pressing LD ***** buttons... I see the Police are investigating now... road rage is not acceptable no matter what the provocation

Well said, although the potential loss of coffee sales/his business through the combined effects of Go-Pro cameras and social media may prove a harsher sentence than Plod may be able to offer up. Living in this part of London is generally a complete pleasure, but the weekends and Sunday in particular are now 'owned' by the spandex-clad middle aged reborn cyclist. Richmond Park - a 20mph park throughout - has seen two cycling deaths already this past year, with one heart attack and one collision at 35mph. Park Police frequently radar-trap the peddlers at 30+ and something is surely going to give before too long.

As for this kind of road rage, I just hope that some enraged nutter - either cyclist or motorist - doesn't go AGBH on the other.....

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

I'm glad I don't have the Disco driver's blood pressure.

And if you've read the Evening Standard article, it's probably just as well he didn't have his great big chopper in his hand...

Shame it wasn't Richmond, North Yorkshire.

Would have loved to have heard the same argument in a N Yorks accent.

To my Scot's ears it was all very polite "you can't this and you can't that", it is can't isn't it ? ;)

I live near some excellent cycle paths and use them regularly but have to agree where the lane is split or shared with pedestrians it becomes quite tiresome slowing down and often stopping to pass safely. I find a bell is the best way to alert them to your presence but many are in an iPod trance and oblivious to the world around them.

There are some instances where you just know there are going to be lots of cyclists on main roads regardless of the provision of cycle paths, A6 just north or Preston, A78 between Troon and Irvine are two that I drive regularly, you just have to slow down, pass safely and get on with your life.

This could be characterised as a trivial localised manifestation of a lack of tax hypothecation policy with respect to road transport. ---init! ;)

Edit: my opinion may offend so has been removed.

Last edited:
I live near some excellent cycle paths and use them regularly but have to agree where the lane is split or shared with pedestrians it becomes quite tiresome slowing down and often stopping to pass safely..

Cyclists don't usually have priority over pedestrians even on a cycle track.

Where a path is segregated what it actually means is the cyclist cannot legally use the section for pedestrians. But. And this point is also often missed - the opposite is not true - pedestrians are entitled to use the cycle part.

Many cyclists on shared paths seem to think they do in fact have priority - and a small but noticeable (and sadly not uncommon) number are self-righteous and abusive or even dangerous when it comes to assuming/asserting this misunderstanding.

I make a point of being polite and thanking those that move over, I dead slow for dogs and kids and make sure I don't sneak up on the elderly. I also use the paths as a pedestrian and wouldn't tolerate anything less from cyclists.

You should mirras, Great cars ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom